2013 AL Central Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
Go ahead and blast me, but why didn't we pick up this Maxwell guy the Royals picked up?? He reminds me of a very young Jermaine Dye.

He's not so young anymore...but we actually did try to get him from Washington several years back, if my memory serves me correctly.

According to Phil Miller of the Star Tribune, "When Chris Colabello swung at the John Danks’ second-inning pitch in Game 1, Brian Duensing jumped up in the Twins’ bullpen and yelled at Jared Burton, 'C’mon — Punch me! Punch me!'"

They had reportedly been planning the prank for a long time, and we're glad they did.

Jayson Stark wrote an article about Cabrera's place among the all-time best RH hitters.

Link

He doesn't place Frank Thomas in the list of 10 best hitters in the modern era, though does at least acknowledge that you could make an argument for him. But consider this:

500 homers,.300 average, 1600 walks,.400 on-base percentage, 550 slugging.

The members of that club are Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Frank Thomas. The only right-handed member of that group is Frank Thomas. Make an argument "for" Frank? How in the f*** can you argue against him?

Royals playing a day/night doubleheader against the Tigers. Won Game 1, 2-1 in Detroit. Still 7.5 back in the Central, 5 back in the Wild Card.

The Royals are 6-1 in their last 7 games against Verlander, and Billy Ray Butler is now 27-for-62 (.435) lifetime against him.

Edited by High Mileage

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Just how much is Illitch willing to spend? He's already got two really bad contracts on his payroll.

I read earlier this year, things were tightening up. I'd be shocked if they signed Cano. They still have to pay Scherzer, and Cabrera's extension is going to be monopoly money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
I read earlier this year, things were tightening up. I'd be shocked if they signed Cano. They still have to pay Scherzer, and Cabrera's extension is going to be monopoly money.

Going after Cano could be a sign they're willing to let Cabrera walk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
If that's their thinking, as a Sox fan, I like the way they think. Cano is great, but he's no Cabrera.

Given that they have Fielder under contract, it might be a long-term move that does make sense, unless your team thinks Cabrera will be able to stay at 3rd for much longer (and as everyone has noted, he's getting extra beat-up right now).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Given that they have Fielder under contract, it might be a long-term move that does make sense, unless your team thinks Cabrera will be able to stay at 3rd for much longer (and as everyone has noted, he's getting extra beat-up right now).

I'm glad you think it makes sense. I also hope the Tigers do too. Whether or not Cabrera can stay at 3B is unimportant IMO. That bat is irreplaceable.

Sounds to me like the Tigers want to keep winning if they are going to add Cano. They're doing what I wanted to do after 05. Dominate a fairly weak division. I'm against long-term ridiculous contracts, but they're doing it for position players rather than pitchers. Interesting.

Edited by greg775