Sox projecting increase in attendance

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 11:34 PM)
lowering prices to appease non existent fans= business death
no. this is an attempt to recapture lost fans. people who were NOT GOING TO GAMES. $7/$20 tix almost every game is a huge deal. And the $5/$15 sunday special has already gotten people to buy in advance.

The fact is, the sox have not galvanized the marketplace like the northsiders have. So they need to bring in fans via different means.

The 2012 team only drew 35k less than 2011. That's one close to sold out game, or 432 extra fans per game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 07:00 AM)
The situation stood in stark contrast to their North Side neighbors, as the Cubs regularly were at near-capacity despite carrying one of the worst records throughout the season.

One look at their games on tv would prove this statement untrue. Games may have been sold-out, but there were plenty of empty seats and give-away prices on StubHub and the like.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
I mean, if we're to believe the fans, they exist but think games are too expensive. Setting prices at the point where supply and demand intersect = high school economics.

Plus they don't have that must see player like Thomas and a short window during the season where they only have to compete with the Cubs for attendance. How competitive are their prices when it comes to the other sports teams? If could see a family who are casual fans passing up baseball for the NBA and NFL is there is a small difference in ticket prices.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Feb 23, 2013 -> 12:00 AM)
Plus they don't have that must see player like Thomas and a short window during the season where they only have to compete with the Cubs for attendance. How competitive are their prices when it comes to the other sports teams? If could see a family who are casual fans passing up baseball for the NBA and NFL is there is a small difference in ticket prices.

The Sox are much cheaper. For someone buying single game tickets, the cheapest Bears ticket is over $100, Hawks is $50-$60, and I bet the Bulls is $50-60 as well, if not more.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
One look at their games on tv would prove this statement untrue. Games may have been sold-out, but there were plenty of empty seats and give-away prices on StubHub and the like.

I am looking for a big fall in their attendance numbers this year.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
For my money - they need more of an exciting team. very stale, boring team going on right now.

It's not so bad if you dig pitching. Unfortunately, if the saying is true, that's not what chicks dig.

If you find a chick that digs pitching, defense and SABR, put a ring on that.

While it is easy to dismiss the difference in attendance to "Cub fans are stupid", there is more at play here. Why do casual fans, fans without a real vested interest in either team, prefer to watch a game on the north side instead of the south side? It takes a really good Sox team to draw them in.

One factor I believe causes this is the Cubs do a better job of welcoming the casual fans. When they here that Sox fans are more knowledgeable about baseball, they know where they fit. When they hear Sox fans complain about "band wagon jumpers", they know where they fit. And, while we know it isn't true, there is the whole safety of the north side versus lawlessness on the south side.

The attendance battle isn't grabbing the regular fan, the attendance battle is for the family that goes to one or two games a year. They have no idea whose in first. They may know a player or two, but they just want to have a fun family outing. Clearly, they, and salespeople entertaining clients, prefer Wrigley.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
While it is easy to dismiss the difference in attendance to "Cub fans are stupid", there is more at play here. Why do casual fans, fans without a real vested interest in either team, prefer to watch a game on the north side instead of the south side? It takes a really good Sox team to draw them in.

One factor I believe causes this is the Cubs do a better job of welcoming the casual fans. When they here that Sox fans are more knowledgeable about baseball, they know where they fit. When they hear Sox fans complain about "band wagon jumpers", they know where they fit. And, while we know it isn't true, there is the whole safety of the north side versus lawlessness on the south side.

The attendance battle isn't grabbing the regular fan, the attendance battle is for the family that goes to one or two games a year. They have no idea whose in first. They may know a player or two, but they just want to have a fun family outing. Clearly, they, and salespeople entertaining clients, prefer Wrigley.

Location and ballpark, that's it. It's really easy. It's not about welcoming casual fans by either organization.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
For my money - they need more of an exciting team. very stale, boring team going on right now.

Honestly, if you have the opportunity to attend games at costs that are relatively cheap, it'd be a shame if you didn't go. They won 85 games last year and could and should be just as good this year while offering cheaper ticket prices. They have one of the best young pitchers in the game and a great all around pitching staff. They also have some pretty good, though not necessarily household or star, players offensively as well.

To see a few Sox games, it literally either costs me about 24 hours in a car or $500 for airline tickets plus the price of game tickets and possibly lodging to see them in Chicago. I can't make it this summer but plan to next summer if just to make it to Chicago, and I plan on doing so during a period where I can see 2-3 games while I'm there.

I hope you reconsider and attend a few games this year. It's going to be a good show.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Location and ballpark, that's it. It's really easy. It's not about welcoming casual fans by either organization.

I agree 100 percent.

What I wonder is, if you go to a Cub game and get a really s***ty seat, like behind a pillar or where you can't see the scoreboard, did you truly enjoy the experience? To me it'd be like playing Marquette Park golf course instead of Butler National. How uncomfortable can it be to go to Wrigley at times depending on your seat??

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Honestly, if you have the opportunity to attend games at costs that are relatively cheap, it'd be a shame if you didn't go. They won 85 games last year and could and should be just as good this year while offering cheaper ticket prices. They have one of the best young pitchers in the game and a great all around pitching staff. They also have some pretty good, though not necessarily household or star, players offensively as well.

To see a few Sox games, it literally either costs me about 24 hours in a car or $500 for airline tickets plus the price of game tickets and possibly lodging to see them in Chicago. I can't make it this summer but plan to next summer if just to make it to Chicago, and I plan on doing so during a period where I can see 2-3 games while I'm there.

I hope you reconsider and attend a few games this year. It's going to be a good show.

If Sox pitching staff is truly "great" as you say, the team will win the division. I'm not convinced it's great. I hope you are right.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
I agree 100 percent.

What I wonder is, if you go to a Cub game and get a really s***ty seat, like behind a pillar or where you can't see the scoreboard, did you truly enjoy the experience? To me it'd be like playing Marquette Park golf course instead of Butler National. How uncomfortable can it be to go to Wrigley at times depending on your seat??

For a good percentage of those attending a Cubs game the game is only part of the experience. If you have a bad seat you head to the bar in the 6th instead of the 7th.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
If Sox pitching staff is truly "great" as you say, the team will win the division. I'm not convinced it's great. I hope you are right.

I think it is. Between the Sox and Tigers, the biggest point of contention is going to be the #3 and #4 spot. The top two are a virtual wash depending on health (where thr Tigers have the edge in durability if for Peavy alone). I think the Sox pen is quite a bit deeper and it should be better too. Danks/Floyd vs Fister/Sanchez is an edge for Detroit but I think it could just as easily favor the Sox by year's end.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)

So there are more avid baseball fans around Wrigley? I think you are actually agreeing with me. The casual fan is drawn to factors other than the team. Location and ballpark. The ballpark is more than sight-lines and parking. It's the entire experience. I think welcoming people to the ball park is very important. If people do not feel welcome are they really going to go?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
Plus the Sox lost a lot of a generation when the Cubs were on free TV (and national TV) and the Sox weren't.

Another great point. I haven't looked, and this is only through my biased eyes, but it does seem like the Sox won the battle of the internet. Maybe that will turn everything around.

It doesn't help the Sox much that most of the local media act as a de-facto marketing department for the Cubs.

I still hear/read things that refer to the location of the Cell as dangerous. I always park west of the park and walk through the neighborhood and never had a problem, nor have I seen anyone else being hassled in any way. Also, there's a huge police presence around the park before and after games.

I still hear/read about how bad the upper deck is at the Cell. It's rarely mentioned that a good number of seats at Wrigley are useless because of pillar locations, etc.

I still hear/read about how Cubs fans have always been more loyal to their team. I'm old enough (40) to remember all of the games early in the season and late in the season having the upper deck closed because nobody was at the games. Heck, Lee Elia's rant

took place in 1983. The crux of it was that there were a handful of fans who showed up, and they were bad fans.

That said, I'm tired of the excuses about Sox attendance. Attendance is becoming a problem throughout sports as prices increase and the comfort of home viewing is weighed versus the cost. Unfortunately, the Sox are accross town from one of the very few sports franchises that seems to be somewhat immune. However, like SS2K, I think their fans are finally demanding some results before they go out to the park.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
It doesn't help the Sox much that most of the local media act as a de-facto marketing department for the Cubs.

I still hear/read things that refer to the location of the Cell as dangerous. I always park west of the park and walk through the neighborhood and never had a problem, nor have I seen anyone else being hassled in any way. Also, there's a huge police presence around the park before and after games.

I still hear/read about how bad the upper deck is at the Cell. It's rarely mentioned that a good number of seats at Wrigley are useless because of pillar locations, etc.

I still hear/read about how Cubs fans have always been more loyal to their team. I'm old enough (40) to remember all of the games early in the season and late in the season having the upper deck closed because nobody was at the games. Heck, Lee Elia's rant

took place in 1983. The crux of it was that there were a handful of fans who showed up, and they were bad fans.

That said, I'm tired of the excuses about Sox attendance. Attendance is becoming a problem throughout sports as prices increase and the comfort of home viewing is weighed versus the cost. Unfortunately, the Sox are accross town from one of the very few sports franchises that seems to be somewhat immune. However, like SS2K, I think their fans are finally demanding some results before they go out to the park.

in the early 90s the sox and cubs were each drawing 3500 a game.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
So there are more avid baseball fans around Wrigley? I think you are actually agreeing with me. The casual fan is drawn to factors other than the team. Location and ballpark. The ballpark is more than sight-lines and parking. It's the entire experience. I think welcoming people to the ball park is very important. If people do not feel welcome are they really going to go?

Correct me if I'm wrong but your first post said something to the effect of "the Sox aren't welcoming casual fans." They certainly try. It doesn't have anything to do with any perceived notion of not welcoming casual fans. The Cell is much better than Wrigley in every way, but the location hurts it, as does the mob mentality of lovable losers. If people were actually paying attention to amenities and the family experience, they'd venture to the South side.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 02:22 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...11651--mlb.html

About CLE Indians significantly lowering prices for concessions, souvenirs, parking, etc.

40% increase in attendance projected already from 2012....and Opening Day sold out in 6 minutes.

It's an interesting idea, and one I hope catches on.

I'm not sure the opening day sellout thing much different for most other clubs, is it? Opening day sells out no matter who you are. How fast did our opening day tickets go?