Who and how much would you give for Giancarlo Stanton?

peteward

Assuming that the Marlins would deal with the White Sox for Stanton, which players would you be willing to trade for him and how much other compensation (cash) might you include? Also, what would a long term mega-dollar Contract for Stanton look like? Is he entitled to the type of deal Pujols got from the Angels or is it too early in his career for a club to take that risk?

Is this the kind of deal that would justify Jerry Reinsdorf taking the lead and feeling this possibility out with Marlins Ownership, at least unofficially?

In trying to think how the Sox could address the talent deficit with the Tigers and the attendance issues, this seems to present a

possible opportunity to do both.

Assuming that the Marlins would deal with the White Sox for Stanton, which players would you be willing to trade for him and how much other compensation (cash) might you include? Also, what would a long term mega-dollar Contract for Stanton look like? Is he entitled to the type of deal Pujols got from the Angels or is it too early in his career for a club to take that risk?

Is this the kind of deal that would justify Jerry Reinsdorf taking the lead and feeling this possibility out with Marlins Ownership, at least unofficially?

In trying to think how the Sox could address the talent deficit with the Tigers and the attendance issues, this seems to present a

possible opportunity to do both.

I'd package anyone including Sale for Stanton. Then sign him to a 8yr deal

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
This. With the worries over Sales arm, I would look at a one for one type deal here.

And then how do you replace Sale's production in the rotation? We're talking about an ace-caliber pitcher here.

I completely understand being concerned about Sale's health, but he's nearly impossible to replace given our free agent policies, weak farm system, and our typically low draft position.

IMO, an ace is the most valuable player on a roster and trading one away, even for a player as talented as Stanton, is at best a neutral proposition due to the guaranteed down-grade at the top of the rotation. Therefore, I'd take my chances on Sale staying healthy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
And then how do you replace Sale's production in the rotation? We're talking about an ace-caliber pitcher here.

I completely understand being concerned about Sale's health, but he's nearly impossible to replace given our free agent policies, weak farm system, and our typically low draft position.

IMO, an ace is the most valuable player on a roster and trading one away, even for a player as talented as Stanton, is at best a neutral proposition due to the guaranteed down-grade at the top of the rotation. Therefore, I'd take my chances on Sale staying healthy.

If given the option between a top flight pitcher and a top flight position player, i'll always go with the pitcher. The only reason to make this deal is if you're really scared about Sale's elbow blowing up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)

We face the same problem if/when he gets hurt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
We face the same problem if/when he gets hurt.

Have there ever been any actual data supporting the idea that weight and health are positively correlated? Or are these concerns strictly based on his throwing motion?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
Have there ever been any actual data supporting the idea that weight and health are positively correlated? Or are these concerns strictly based on his throwing motion?

It's throwing motion. The greatest 2 pitchers of the modern era - Maddux and Martinez - were frail, skinny, and small, and the best lefty - Johnson - was taller than Sale and pretty much just as skinny. Size has nothing to do with injury.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
I want to hang out with the two of you. I can flash the $35 in my wallet and get all the ladies.

I have $1,117 dollars in my wallet right now. Does that make me certifiably insane? Being poor as a kid I've always wanted to carry a lot of cash around as an adult. I'm far from rich but I think I have some sort of mental illness that requires me carrying around a lot of cash. I wonder if there is a name for people like me.

Edited by TomSeaverFan

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
I have $1,117 dollars in my wallet right now. Does that make me certifiably insane? Being poor as a kid I've always wanted to carry a lot of cash around as an adult. I'm far from rich but I think I have some sort of mental illness that requires me carrying around a lot of cash. I wonder if there is a name for people like me.

I call you "target 1"

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)

Searching for your IP address, finding where you live, getting binoculars to follow you....

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)

Pal O' Mine! ;)

Has anybody ever really proved a correlation between body type and pitch selection to injury? I really think most of it's BS. Some guys have rubber arms and some don't. Even mechanics are overrated. No matter how, or what, you throw, it's an unnatural motion. Some humans have the ability to withstand physical stress, others don't. It's really a crapshoot. I'd have a hard time giving up a pitcher like Sale. He's young, smart and straight up nasty.

I don't think the Marlins are necessarily looking for high priced talent in exchange. Given the recent fire sale by the Marlins, I believe that they would be looking for young prospects along with 2 or 3 major league players who are young, have reasonable contracts, and have a good deal of upside.

I would consider offering a package of players that fit that requirement including two or possibly even three of the following major league players/pitchers plus a prospect,

- Addison Reed, Viciedo, Morel, Quintana, Jordan Danks, Gordon Beckham, Tyler Flowers.

With the Marlins talent depleted at several positions, I think a trade for several players would suit them better than having one home run king and then a severe talent drop-off with the rest of the players on the team.

The Sox on the other hand could benefit greatly from having a superstar and would have much less of a problem filling in around him even after a big trade.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 12:31 AM)
I don't think the Marlins are necessarily looking for high priced talent in exchange. Given the recent fire sale by the Marlins, I believe that they would be looking for young prospects along with 2 or 3 major league players who are young, have reasonable contracts, and have a good deal of upside.

I would consider offering a package of players that fit that requirement including two or possibly even three of the following major league players/pitchers plus a prospect,

- Addison Reed, Viciedo, Morel, Quintana, Jordan Danks, Gordon Beckham, Tyler Flowers.

With the Marlins talent depleted at several positions, I think a trade for several players would suit them better than having one home run king and then a severe talent drop-off with the rest of the players on the team.

The Sox on the other hand could benefit greatly from having a superstar and would have much less of a problem filling in around him even after a big trade.

You aren't getting Stanton with any of that. You wouldn't get Stanton if you included all of those players. IF they were to trade him, they would be looking for high upside talent with a lot of service time (meaning like no prior major league experience). The package merely begins with Trayce Thompson, Carlos Sanchez, and Erik Johnson, and you may be looking at including Scott Snodgress and/or Viciedo as well. That simply doesn't make sense no matter how good Stanton is.

Or you're looking at giving up Sale, and honestly, that doesn't make a lot of sense either.