Sox vs. Rangers 2/27

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
They wouldn't unless the return was insane.

But as always...the important thing to remember is that it's Rick Hahn's fault that there isn't an insane return coming for him, so we can be mad at the GM for it.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
Geezuz, with the lack of 3b's in the sox system why would you trade ANYONE who can play the position?

That was my question too. But, Gillaspie and Keppinger may be your future at 3B and either Beckham or Sanchez

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
WHY IS THIS TEAM WINNING IN SPRING TRAINING, SAVE THOSE WINS FOR THE REGULAR SEASON YOU IDIOTS!

------

WOOOO 3-0-2, HAVEN'T LOST YET, GREAT SIGNS FOR THE SEASON

just covering both bases here

And you did a good job too :gosox3: :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
But as always...the important thing to remember is that it's Rick Hahn's fault that there isn't an insane return coming for him, so we can be mad at the GM for it.

If he wasn't so busy sleeping, he would have already gotten Dylan Bundy for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
I certainly wouldn't give up a hard throwing, A-ball level relief pitcher for him at the end of spring training.

If he came out for the whole season, stayed healthy, and put up a >900 OPS at Charlotte, then I might give you an A-ball pitcher for him, but not a great one.

If he puts up a .900 OPS over a full season at Charlotte, given his strong defensive abilities and the scarcity of quality 3B in the majors, he'd be worth a lot more than an A ball pitcher.

Obviously he's not going to put up an OPS like that, but he could still have decent value if he could put up a low .800's OPS in AAA. Whether he can do that or not remains to be seen, but first he needs to prove his back can hold up over an extended period of time. No team is going to give up something of value for an unknown quantity that also has a questionable back.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
If he puts up a .900 OPS over a full season at Charlotte, given his strong defensive abilities and the scarcity of quality 3B in the majors, he'd be worth a lot more than an A ball pitcher.

Obviously he's not going to put up an OPS like that, but he could still have decent value if he could put up a low .800's OPS in AAA. Whether he can do that or not remains to be seen, but first he needs to prove his back can hold up over an extended period of time. No team is going to give up something of value for an unknown quantity that also has a questionable back.

A 26 year old with a questionable back basically in AAA or above for his 4th season who already had a nearly full go at the MLB and put up a .653 OPS that only is non-terrible because of a rash of late-season HR's? I still wouldn't give up anything of use for him if he put up a .900 OPS at AAA this year; i'd expect there's a decent chance I can get him on waivers in the near future.

He could very well be worth more than an A-ball pitcher to the White Sox if he can put up an .800+ OPS at Charlotte and suggest that there's a chance he's not a complete fail...but I'm not trading anything for him that I think I could use.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
A 26 year old with a questionable back basically in AAA or above for his 4th season who already had a nearly full go at the MLB and put up a .653 OPS that only is non-terrible because of a rash of late-season HR's? I still wouldn't give up anything of use for him if he put up a .900 OPS at AAA this year; i'd expect there's a decent chance I can get him on waivers in the near future.

He could very well be worth more than an A-ball pitcher to the White Sox if he can put up an .800+ OPS at Charlotte and suggest that there's a chance he's not a complete fail...but I'm not trading anything for him that I think I could use.

A .900 OPS would have qualified him for 2nd in the International League last year. If he did that as a 26 year old, while playing excellent defense, he'd have pretty good value IMO, especially given how bad the position has gotten in recent years

You claiming this would be his fourth season in AAA or above is a bit misleading. He spent 2/3 of 2010 at AAA and in the majors, despite being 23 years old and only having a 1/3 of a season of experience at AA in his entire career. He then spent one full season with the Sox in 2011 as an overmatched rookie whose manager did him no favors in terms of aiding his development. Last year he got about 250 plate appearances in AAA and with the big league club, but was injured basically the entire season.

So right now, he's had about two seasons worth of playing time at AAA or above over the course of three years. However, if you think beyond that, you see a guy that was rushed, mismanaged, and injured during this same time. I'm not saying you completely ignore his performance during this period of time, but if he comes out and puts up a .900 OPS and can stay healthy, teams will focus more on the present than the past and be willing to offer something of value for him.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
Exactly why Hahn has the advantage.

I actually see his point, although I don't know if I agree with it.

Basically, because of uncertainties, he is not going to command a lot, if anything, if the Sox were to shop him around. But if Hahn knows that he'll just tell teams they are hanging on to him to see if he can turn it around and become something. So, if some team really wants him for whatever reason, they're going to have to approach Hahn with an actual legitimate offer.

Speaking of third basemen, I wonder how Kevin Youk is doing this spring? Now that he is clean shaven in Yankee tradition, he looks ten years younger, but, more importantly, if he has a bad spring, the Yanks will be looking somewhere for a 3B.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)
Speaking of third basemen, I wonder how Kevin Youk is doing this spring? Now that he is clean shaven in Yankee tradition, he looks ten years younger, but, more importantly, if he has a bad spring, the Yanks will be looking somewhere for a 3B.

They will not take Morel over Youkilis.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)

I am sure the vastly superior Brian Cashman will fleece the Inept Hahn of the Pandoras box that is Brent Morel

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
I am sure the vastly superior Brian Cashman will fleece the Inept Hahn of the Pandoras box that is Brent Morel

I'll give you Brent Morel for Chris Stewart, then you give me Chris Stewart for Jon Stewart, then Jon Stewart for Demetri Martin, then Demetri Martin for Carlos Mencia, then Carlos Mencia for a #9 from Taco Bell with a Diet Pepsi.

Give me that #9.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)

No GM is going to replace a veteran player based on a bad spring of 50 at bats.

They might do that if his back goes out again, but not for "having 50 bad at bats"

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Guys, no one wants Brent Morel, lol. Come on.

Are you sure? I hear that if Pedro Alvarez strikes out again this Spring, the Pirates are going to make him walk the plank. Maybe they could use Morel? You know, before they make him walk the plank.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Guys, no one wants Brent Morel, lol. Come on.

No team would want to put all of their chips at 3B with him. But there would be plenty of teams that would want him at 3B as a Plan B. I still think he has a chance to be an ok everyday 3B.