Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
To me the rumors and trades seemed to be a race to be first and it ends up being misinformation or wrong. Personally I found it to be more work than it was worth and became to time consuming with pointless crap of self absorbent assclowns

seems like a normal progression for any form of media

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Twitter is actually pretty fantastic for some things, especially sports. A lot more good info out there than there are disasters like this.

Agreed. You just have to know who to follow, and who to ignore.

It has literally changed the world for the instant transmission of information. I personally love it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
I at least have respect for Spiegel and going back to McNeal because they were never too good to admit their were wrong, and they didn't act better than everyone else.

But his apology was questionable at best. He apologized not for saying someone sucked at their job, but for not keeping the conversation on track, and then was sad he offended her. The initial tweet not with the sexual stuff was dumb. He didn't want to offend her, he just wanted a Twitter conversation about how bad she is at her job.

And the tweet he deleted was probably the most offensive of all.

I agree about McNeil. Say what you want about the Barney Rubble lookalike, but he does own up to his screw ups.

This was a typical guy conversation many of us have had plenty of, but to be a sports media member and have it on Twitter is mindbogglingly dumb.

Edited by Dick Allen

Bernstein has had plenty of comments on air objectifying women and to be honest it always feels kind of weird when he goes down that road. He is just creepy about it. I have thought to myself if my wife heard me on the radio talking about women like that she would have knocked me into next week. And like many have said, coming from Bernstein who is critical of EVERYONE it just makes this even more of a hypocrisy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
But his apology was questionable at best. He apologized not for saying someone sucked at their job, but for not keeping the conversation on track, and then was sad he offended her. The initial tweet not with the sexual stuff was dumb. He didn't want to offend her, he just wanted a Twitter conversation about how bad she is at her job.

And the tweet he deleted was probably the most offensive of all.

I agree about McNeil. Say what you want about the Barney Rubble lookalike, but he does own up to his screw ups.

This was a typical guy conversation many of us have had plenty of, but to be a sports media member and have it on Twitter is mindbogglingly dumb.

He apologized for chiming in and continuing with the conversation about her boobs. He did not apologize for saying she's awful at her job because he shouldn't have to. He criticizes male media members for being bad at their jobs too. There are only 2 things I know about Aiyana Cristal: She's really bad at her job and she has huge boobs. I wouldn't put it on twitter though even if it is true.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
He apologized for chiming in and continuing with the conversation about her boobs. He did not apologize for saying she's awful at her job because he shouldn't have to. He criticizes male media members for being bad at their jobs too. There are only 2 things I know about Aiyana Cristal: She's really bad at her job and she has huge boobs. I wouldn't put it on twitter though even if it is true.

What male sports media members has he said on Twitter were bad at their jobs? Personally I don't think it's his job to put that out there if he has. He apologized for offending her. If someone told you that you were bad at your job, but I don't want to offend you, I just want it out there for the world to discuss, you would probably be offended.

Funny thing about Spiegel, his boobs match up with anybody's.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
What male sports media members has he said on Twitter were bad at their jobs? Personally I don't think it's his job to put that out there if he has. He apologized for offending her. If someone told you that you were bad at your job, but I don't want to offend you, I just want it out there for the world to discuss, you would probably be offended.

Funny thing about Spiegel, his boobs match up with anybody's.

Guys all the time: David Diehl, Harold Reynolds, Tim McCarver, Erin Andrews (who is also female). To name a few. Wasn't tweeted though. Those were all talked about on the show. The comment about the boobs doesn't happen and there is no apology. Spiegel would not be apologizing for criticizing her work today. That's not what he's sorry about.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Guys all the time: David Diehl, Harold Reynolds, Tim McCarver, Erin Andrews (who is also female). To name a few. Wasn't tweeted though. Those were all talked about on the show. The comment about the boobs doesn't happen and there is no apology. Spiegel would not be apologizing for criticizing her work today. That's not what he's sorry about.

Maybe not, but he did say he was sorry for offending her and being disrespectful, so if tweeting you suck at your job is offensive or disrespectful, and he didn't take that back, his apology is full of it.

He is a sports radio host. Why does he have to tweet about a CSN reporter being bad? What exactly would that accomplish?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)

Telander and Haugh are crucified daily by bernstein.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Telander and Haugh are crucified daily by bernstein.

Maybe Danny Boy needed something like this to put him back in his place a little bit in his own mind. He used to be really good before he started believing he knew more about everything than anyone else and put the biggest idiot callers on the air to make himself look good.

I hope the Score makes him take Sensitivity training or something of the sort.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Maybe Danny Boy needed something like this to put him back in his place a little bit in his own mind. He used to be really good before he started believing he knew more about everything than anyone else and put the biggest idiot callers on the air to make himself look good.

He literally wants to be Jay Marriotti, he said similar things to other media members as it being the key to the "mothership." Hes a douche

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)

He's not going to change though. He's just going to watch what he tweets. He has said far worse things on his show than were said last night. Remember all of the stuff about Britney Griner being a man and all sorts of other things? He's mentioned Aiyana Cristal's boobs on the show before. Said that he watched CBS in the morning because he likes Megan Glaros' rack as well. None of those things went viral though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
He's not going to change though. He's just going to watch what he tweets. He has said far worse things on his show than were said last night. Remember all of the stuff about Britney Griner being a man and all sorts of other things? He's mentioned Aiyana Cristal's boobs on the show before. Said that he watched CBS in the morning because he likes Megan Glaros' rack as well. None of those things went viral though.

I doubt he says those things again on his show at least for a while.

It wasn't long ago the other Marriotti wannabe, Joe Cowley, got into a lot of trouble with sexist tweets. He almost got fired, and did get demoted from a columnist back to a beat writer.

I suppose if women actually listened to their shows, Speigel and Bernstein would probably get into a little more trouble than an apology.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
It wasn't long ago the other Marriotti wannabe, Joe Cowley, got into a lot of trouble with sexist tweets. He almost got fired, and did get demoted from a columnist back to a beat writer.

And his name is apparently such poison that it isn't even listed on his "Sun-Times basketball" account.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
Looks like Bernstein is taking a vacation.

Not sure if it was already planned or suggested by CBS, but it would be a good cover for a possible suspension.

So is Spiegel. It's too much of a coincidence to not be a punishment.