Sports Media discussion

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 09:45 AM)
Well, I was wrong, the new Score shakeup is...interesting.

Love Danny Mac and prefer Bernstein middays. He and Goff could get pretty toxic. Danny Parkins does a great job, too.

I heard Spiegel on with Bernstein talking about the Cubs. He's still with the station, but in a more limited role.

Congratulations to Spiegs on his marriage. Hopefully the third time will be the charm for him.

Just now, AustinIllini said:

Agreed.  Mike and Mike worked and ESPN foolishly tried to mess it up.  Well, they succeeded.  

I can have the DP Show on in the background every day, but I honestly think he's at the top of the profession as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried watching "Get Up" this morning and it's very dull. No chemistry and lots of dead air like one of the 3 are waiting for the other to speak. Beadle has personality from SportsNation but was a mannequin when I watched.

sun times in a tough spot and asking for online sub sign-ups.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/imagine-chicago-without-the-sun-times/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top-stories

Edit: since this has come up a lot:

"

Last month, we greatly improved our website user experience by removing ads and designing pages that are easier to read. The response has been overwhelmingly positive. We hope that you, too, like what you see."

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Tried watching "Get Up" this morning and it's very dull. No chemistry and lots of dead air like one of the 3 are waiting for the other to speak. Beadle has personality from SportsNation but was a mannequin when I watched.

I've recently started watching "Good Morning Football" on NFL network in the morning before I leave for work and I really enjoy it. 

I feel like "Get Up" tries to mimic their model but just does it in a way that is nowhere near as appealing.  Completely agree on the no chemistry thing as well.  I also notice when I've watched it, somebody will be talking, and then they will pop up a picture in picture of one of the other people as if they will have a reaction but half the time it doesn't even look like they're paying attention.

3 hours ago, Sonik22 said:

I've recently started watching "Good Morning Football" on NFL network in the morning before I leave for work and I really enjoy it.

Great show. Really love it that 2 of the people are from Chicago (Brandt and Adams) but aren't too biased about the Bears.

16 hours ago, bmags said:

sun times in a tough spot and asking for online sub sign-ups.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/imagine-chicago-without-the-sun-times/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top-stories

Edit: since this has come up a lot:

"

Last month, we greatly improved our website user experience by removing ads and designing pages that are easier to read. The response has been overwhelmingly positive. We hope that you, too, like what you see."

Both the Trib and Sun Times websites are terrible.

The Sun Times has turned into a tabloid in my mind. 

53 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Both the Trib and Sun Times websites are terrible.

The Sun Times has turned into a tabloid in my mind. 

I don't think the trib website is bad I actually like it on specific articles. I mostly get to it via twitter.

I like the sun-times sports section a lot more than the trib (which is basically paul sullivan and david haugh at this point), but the sun times is so much usa today stuff. 

I have always liked that the sun times has shown a propensity to be a bit more creative in finding odd, big stories, especially with corruption in the city. The trib more resource-intensive and straightforward, like their excellent lead poisoning and county assessment stories.

Both, imo, are so valuable to the city. Shadows of their former selves, though, no doubt. But they have had owners for the last 5 years actively trying to sabotage them, so I have hope.

The Sun-Times was a notoriously bad website for a long time with popups everywhere.

As far as 670 goes, I really don't care for McKnight in his spot.  Mac and Parkins are fine, but as weird as he was, 670 is missing the hell out of Terry Boers

1 hour ago, AustinIllini said:

The Sun-Times was a notoriously bad website for a long time with popups everywhere.

As far as 670 goes, I really don't care for McKnight in his spot.  Mac and Parkins are fine, but as weird as he was, 670 is missing the hell out of Terry Boers

I liked the setup a few years back when it was Spiegel and Goff and then Bernstein with whoever sat in for Boers when he was out.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I liked the setup a few years back when it was Spiegel and Goff and then Bernstein with whoever sat in for Boers when he was out.

Spiegel and Goff followed by Bernstein and Parkins would have been pretty good

1 hour ago, AustinIllini said:

Spiegel and Goff followed by Bernstein and Parkins would have been pretty good

That's a great deal of arrogance on one show. I don't think both of their heads would fit in the studio together.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel for Spiegs, he was not an issue. DeCastro really screwed him, even if he and Goff still have their contracts. His show’s ratings weren’t that bad and I didn’t feel he was too political. McKnight and Bernstein are okay and I can only stand McNeil and Parkins in small doses. I definitely have to go all around the dial to fill my work day and enjoy cross talk at 1:45 on AM 1000 as opposed to 670’s. Bernstein is good in his slot and it’s nice to have crosstalk in the morning, but he would be better on the afternoons where we could hear the meatball Chicago sports fan call in. Hearing some of those idiots call in and argue politics was funny too.