Sports Media discussion

https://deadspin.com/a-note-on-drew-1830961589

Something is wrong with Drew Magary.  Hope it's nothing serious,  but no real info.  I really like his writing and met him at a live deadcast a few months ago.  He couldn't have been nicer and talked to my sister, bro-in-law and me for like 15 minutes just shooting the shit. 

2 hours ago, SoxFan562004 said:

https://deadspin.com/a-note-on-drew-1830961589

Something is wrong with Drew Magary.  Hope it's nothing serious,  but no real info.  I really like his writing and met him at a live deadcast a few months ago.  He couldn't have been nicer and talked to my sister, bro-in-law and me for like 15 minutes just shooting the shit. 

I first saw that and thought it was just another Deadspin joke or something.  But judging by various comments, it seems like it might be something very serious.  Hope he's OK, he's such a great read, no matter the topic.

19 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I first saw that and thought it was just another Deadspin joke or something.  But judging by various comments, it seems like it might be something very serious.  Hope he's OK, he's such a great read, no matter the topic.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't a joke as he didn't do Jambaroo last Thursday, or anything since Wednesday and he didn't tweet all weekend, which is rare for him.  He normally says when he's taking a trip or on assignment.  I actually googled him yesterday to see if there was news or he signed with another company.

Yes, as you note, with twitter comments of his colleagues this actually seems really serious. Hoping he's OK!

Something I don't understand: Chicago fans, specifically Bears fans, have this weird insecurity with national media and believe that the team doesn't get the appropriate amount of attention/recognition or that they actually get mad that the Bears are winning games. Lazy narratives notwithstanding, this makes no sense. The Bears play in a media gold mine. Why would they be mad about that?

• Like 1

I flipped on SportsCenter last night because I didn't see the game but knew that they had won and just wanted to see a few highlights. Instead I saw the highlights for the Pats/Steelers, the highlights for the Lakers game, a few more basketball highlights and I think a hockey game was in there. Never even mentioned the Bears game at all.

Maybe it's because we all see how the Sox are ignored by the national media and it seems like the same thing happens when it comes to the Bears as well?  :huh:

Although I'm not really a huge Bears fan or really a big football fan in general so I can't say I notice it as much...

Edited by Iwritecode

11 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Something I don't understand: Chicago fans, specifically Bears fans, have this weird insecurity with national media and believe that the team doesn't get the appropriate amount of attention/recognition or that they actually get mad that the Bears are winning games. Lazy narratives notwithstanding, this makes no sense. The Bears play in a media gold mine. Why would they be mad about that?

Sports fans in general spend too much time being offended by obvious things like the media not paying enough attention to your team (they spend time on the teams that get them the most attention, duh) and bandwagon fans (people love winners, duh).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Because Chicagoand have a complex about being the whole Second City idea behind NY & LA.

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The cubs Bears Bulls and Blackhawks all get major media attention when they are good not great, just good

The White Sox for some reason are not. 

Sox are the lone exception. The Bulls are transcendent because of the nature of NBA fandom, although you don't usually hear Bulls fans whining the way Bears fans do (even when they tend to be the same people).

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tony said:

I don't pay for Barstool and wouldn't. 

But Barstool and The Athletic couldn't be more different. The Athletic offers beat reporters and national reporters. Barstool is a completely different animal, "sports" isn't even there biggest seller. 

But more importantly, you can spend your money anyway you want. 

The question remains: Why would anyone spend money to read barstool?  That's why this is such a bad deal

• 4 weeks later...