Sports Media discussion

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

In case anyone hasn't heard, Jonah Keri got busted for doing his best Addison Russell impersonation. 

I'd post the tweet but its a couple weeks old and I can't find it

Jesus, I was on vacation and missed this. That is so awful and disgusting. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Jesus, I was on vacation and missed this. That is so awful and disgusting. 

The Athletic had to release a statement. Go check Bernstein's Twitter its somewhere on there. Details were pretty awful. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Barstool continues to suck

Truly incredible the level stupidity of Barstool/Ed on this one. Why would you ever copy/paste an entire article from another website to provide context to your piece? And then acknowledges he posted most of the story.

Link the article and mention to read the story there. It's not that hard. 

With the improvement of the Sox and expectations for the Bears, I've dipped back into the Chicago sports shows via podcast. I pick select segments from Carmen & Jurko, Waddle & Silvy, and McNeil & Parkins. The amount of Cubs content is insane.

Jesse Rogers is literally on each of the ESPN shows every day for 20 plus minutes, and they're not even the flagship station. I can see if there is some news, but he talks about the previous game and the upcoming game. It's a little much.

The Score has regular segment with the Cubs announcers, and Spiegel devotes his Sunday show to them pretty regularly. 

I try to skip downloading every Cubs-centric segment just in case they pay attention to what gets downloaded.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, Middle Buffalo said:

With the improvement of the Sox and expectations for the Bears, I've dipped back into the Chicago sports shows via podcast. I pick select segments from Carmen & Jurko, Waddle & Silvy, and McNeil & Parkins. The amount of Cubs content is insane.

Jesse Rogers is literally on each of the ESPN shows every day for 20 plus minutes, and they're not even the flagship station. I can see if there is some news, but he talks about the previous game and the upcoming game. It's a little much.

The Score has regular segment with the Cubs announcers, and Spiegel devotes his Sunday show to them pretty regularly. 

I try to skip downloading every Cubs-centric segment just in case they pay attention to what gets downloaded.

This is what happens when the Cubs are good and the Sox suck for a half decade. The only thing that was keeping the Sox relevant in Chicago for years was the Cubs ineptitude. Now that the people running the Cubs are no longer blithering idiots, the Sox have a hell of an uphill battle just to get coverage and airtime. 

I'm pretty convinced that the Sox have a really small diehard fanbase, possibly only dwarfed by the Rays, and the majority of Sox fans are casual baseball fans. The Cubs have a much larger fanbase in general, and a significantly larger group of loyal diehards. Why? I have no idea. 

I also think that optimists tended to gravitate toward the Cubs, and pessimists the Sox. Same with people with a more short term viewpoint vs. long term viewpoint.  I can probably tell a lot about you by what baseball team you root for. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I really kinda wish Bears fans collectively would stop getting defensive about every bad Trubisky take by the national media. The NFL is the best source of content slop(like Game of Thrones was but on steroids), and it doesn't have to be good content, just be there to get clicks. The vast majority of people who consume it are by and large people who don't actually watch the players/teams being discussed (and are also mostly morons), and this also includes many of the actual reporters/pundits. Unless Trubisky wins MVP this season there will be dumb external takes - we really should've learned this from the Cutler saga - the only thing that matters is whether he's good enough for the Bears to win games.

Edited by lostfan

6 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I really kinda wish Bears fans collectively would stop getting defensive about every bad Trubisky take by the national media. The NFL is the best source of content slop(like Game of Thrones was but on steroids), and it doesn't have to be good content, just be there to get clicks. The vast majority of people who consume it are by and large people who don't actually watch the players/teams being discussed (and are also mostly morons), and this also includes many of the actual reporters/pundits. Unless Trubisky wins MVP this season there will be dumb external takes - we really should've learned this from the Cutler saga - the only thing that matters is whether he's good enough for the Bears to win games.

From what I've seen, I think it's less being defensive about bad takes, but being annoyed by lazy journalism. More specifically, someone will publish a very positive Trubisky article with only one semi-negative sentence about him, and the national media will highlight that one sentence and run with it, and suddenly that's all the article is known for. This has literally happened three times with verified reporters in the past week and it's just disgraceful journalism. I totally agree with your overarching point, it just sucks that the media has already made up its mind on the kid. It reminds me of the pre-2019 Moncada takes. 

• Love 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

From what I've seen, I think it's less being defensive about bad takes, but being annoyed by lazy journalism. More specifically, someone will publish a very positive Trubisky article with only one semi-negative sentence about him, and the national media will highlight that one sentence and run with it, and suddenly that's all the article is known for. This has literally happened three times with verified reporters in the past week and it's just disgraceful journalism. I totally agree with your overarching point, it just sucks that the media has already made up its mind on the kid. It reminds me of the pre-2019 Moncada takes. 

This is definitely what Evan Silva did with a recent Tribune article, which had a balanced take on Trubisky (discussing both how good he looks and the times he's struggled) and he more or less fabricated a quote from Nagy that he is frustrated with Trubisky and is simplifying the offense for him. However, with only a few exceptions, this is all the NFL media is or ever will be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

To be fair, the Bears have had shitty quarterbacks for 70 years. It isn't that much of a stretch to assume that they'll always be shitty. The Bears are going to have to develop a HOFer at the position in order to change the narrative. Until that happens, the national media will always assume that the Bears QB sucks. 

The sky is blue, water is wet, and the Bears QB sucks. That is what the national media thinks. Quite frankly, I can't blame them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

There are almost daily articles that Aaron Rodgers is now not one of the best QB's ever, but is actually bad and wants to fight his coach.

NFL journalism has some really good people covering, but it also has a lot of people who like the attention of saying dumb things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

There are almost daily articles that Aaron Rodgers is now not one of the best QB's ever, but is actually bad and wants to fight his coach.

NFL journalism has some really good people covering, but it also has a lot of people who like the attention of saying dumb things.

Yeah I've noticed that. Since McCarthy got fired and there was that big article about the Packers (that had a lot of quotes from pro-Favre ex-players with a clear anti-Rodgers agenda for some reason) and now there's an attempt to force a narrative.

16 hours ago, lostfan said:

Yeah I've noticed that. Since McCarthy got fired and there was that big article about the Packers (that had a lot of quotes from pro-Favre ex-players with a clear anti-Rodgers agenda for some reason) and now there's an attempt to force a narrative.

Yeah, it's been really ramped up the past year or so.  It's been fueled by people like Colin Cowherd and Mike Florio, who just have an absolute hate for Rodgers.  Then everyone jumps on for click bate articles and off season ratings. 

I hate that those guys get so much attention, but someone like Matt Bowen gets almost no attention, but does great job analyzing play.

19 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

To be fair, the Bears have had shitty quarterbacks for 70 years. It isn't that much of a stretch to assume that they'll always be shitty. The Bears are going to have to develop a HOFer at the position in order to change the narrative. Until that happens, the national media will always assume that the Bears QB sucks. 

The sky is blue, water is wet, and the Bears QB sucks. That is what the national media thinks. Quite frankly, I can't blame them. 

Dude, stop.   Last year all this got pushed right back in your face and all you are doing is starting this year off doing it again

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude, stop.   Last year all this got pushed right back in your face and all you are doing is starting this year off doing it again

Dude I think the Trubisky criticism is over the top as well but I can't blame anyone for it. They have to develop a HOF QB to change the national narrative. 

Trubisky is probably the most promising QB they've had in my lifetime. He won me over last year. He did everything he had to do to win that playoff game, it isn't his fault that Parkey missed the kick. I think the narrative is completely different had they won that game. He was money in the 2nd half. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They were fucking awesome Monday

I miss B&B. They were awesome. Bernstein can be a prick at times but listening to his show has made me a better, more rational fan. 

They should ask Boers if he can come in for a day whenever McKnight has a planned vacation providing he's up for it health wise. 

The Bob from Niles bit was hilarious, as was the McGowan stuff. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I miss B&B. They were awesome. Bernstein can be a prick at times but listening to his show has made me a better, more rational fan. 

They should ask Boers if he can come in for a day whenever McKnight has a planned vacation providing he's up for it health wise. 

The Bob from Niles bit was hilarious, as was the McGowan stuff. 

Not really. A fan by definition isn't rational and off set from the game. You are supposed to be passionate. you have fallen for his anti-player and anti-coach agenda that he pushes because of the way he was treated at Duke by coach K and athletes because he wasn't one.

42 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Not really. A fan by definition isn't rational and off set from the game. You are supposed to be passionate. you have fallen for his anti-player and anti-coach agenda that he pushes because of the way he was treated at Duke by coach K and athletes because he wasn't one.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I agree with asking the question: Does this get my team closer to winning a championship? I agree with his thoughts on a team being in purgatory and when you get there the only answer is a bare bones rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I agree with asking the question: Does this get my team closer to winning a championship? I agree with his thoughts on a team being in purgatory and when you get there the only answer is a bare bones rebuild. 

No doubt. However, you can enjoy a game for the game itself. You shouldn't derive all enjoyment from a game based on winning alone.

• Love 1