Sports Media discussion

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. However, you can enjoy a game for the game itself. You shouldn't derive all enjoyment from a game based on winning alone.

I agree with that for the most part. Winning every season is unrealistic. It makes championships more special when they happen. 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I miss B&B. They were awesome. Bernstein can be a prick at times but listening to his show has made me a better, more rational fan. 

They should ask Boers if he can come in for a day whenever McKnight has a planned vacation providing he's up for it health wise. 

The Bob from Niles bit was hilarious, as was the McGowan stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 8:37 AM, Jack Parkman said:

I miss B&B. They were awesome. Bernstein can be a prick at times but listening to his show has made me a better, more rational fan. 

They should ask Boers if he can come in for a day whenever McKnight has a planned vacation providing he's up for it health wise. 

The Bob from Niles bit was hilarious, as was the McGowan stuff. 

I don't miss them. Even if a caller has a valid point, the caller would be ridiculed or made fun of if they didn't agree with B&B. And I have always have thought of Boers as a nasty person who just liked to demean people. I can't remember the last time I listened to the Score. It is lousy radio.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I don't miss them. Even if a caller has a valid point, the caller would be ridiculed or made fun of if they didn't agree with B&B. And I have always have thought of Boers as a nasty person who just liked to demean people. I can't remember the last time I listened to the Score. It is lousy radio.

No, 95% of the time the people they made fun of deserved it. They had thoughts that no rational person would have. It was a rare case when people actually had anything close to something constituting a rational thought and they got roasted. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, 95% of the time the people they made fun of deserved it. They had thoughts that no rational person would have. It was a rare case when people actually had anything close to something constituting a rational thought and they got roasted. 

I am aware many deserved it although I think the station liked when the idiots called in because they were easy to best in any sports argument. I just know arrogance when I see it.

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

I am aware many deserved it although I think the station liked when the idiots called in because they were easy to best in any sports argument. I just know arrogance when I see it.

I think it was part of that show's schtick. I think Tannehill used to put on the morons on purpose. 

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think it was part of that show's schtick. I think Tannehill used to put on the morons on purpose. 

No doubt. However, I personally  dont find the constant demeaning of people and the arrogance of the hosts entertaining.  That's why I still can't listen to Bernstein.  He was good when he was a part time weekend host. He had a lot of fun and good ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

At times I wondered if they had their friends call in and purposely sound stupid.

Think about the George Carlin rule of stupid people. There are enough of them out there. (I know it doesn't work like that, it's a bell curve in reality) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 hours ago, Donaldo said:

Long time listeners of The SCORE know how some hosts have been telling McNeil that he has to see "Boogie Nights," saying that he'd like it.

Mac finally watched it recently, and to say that he didn't like it would be an understatement.  😄

Not a fan of Boogie Nights

Preach Danny Mac! Easily one of the most overrated movies.

• 3 months later...

On its face clearly Roenick was joking around and being a guy on a guy podcast.   But dude needs to have a lot more awareness about what he is saying, it was incredibly dumb to say what he said about Tappen because it puts her in a tough spot.   I sincerely doubt Sharp had a problem with what he said though 

On 12/24/2019 at 9:16 AM, Kyyle23 said:

On its face clearly Roenick was joking around and being a guy on a guy podcast.   But dude needs to have a lot more awareness about what he is saying, it was incredibly dumb to say what he said about Tappen because it puts her in a tough spot.   I sincerely doubt Sharp had a problem with what he said though 

Him calling Sharp a great guy was about as weird as it gets. Roenick must be an easy judge of character

15 hours ago, Donaldo said:

Sports radio has been a pleasant listen these past few days.  For the past 5+ years, it's been all Cub love and almost all Sox hate.  Today it did a complete 180.  They're actually starting to criticize Saint Theo!

Boers sounded healthier than he has in a decade. And yes, sports radio has been great this week.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:19 PM, Donaldo said:

Sports radio has been a pleasant listen these past few days.  For the past 5+ years, it's been all Cub love and almost all Sox hate.  Today it did a complete 180.  They're actually starting to criticize Saint Theo!

Hub Arkush was on with Boers, and Terry was complimenting the Sox. Hub, a Cubs fan, interjects with a Sox attendance comment, “Even when they were winning....”

No matter what the Sox do, there’s always a “yeah, but” attitude from the media that doesn’t exist for other teams because the media is mostly filled with Cubs fans, and even the ones who are Sox fans tend to buy into that narrative.

It would be nice to experience some unbridled enthusiasm every once in a while when it comes to the Sox.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, Kyyle23 said:

Those two were hilarious together.  Some of the most fun radio I've ever heard on The SCORE.

On 12/27/2019 at 6:11 AM, knightni said:

Is it just a fill-in, or is he back in the Chicago market?

I think it was just a one time thing.

I've been really enjoying some of these holiday pairings.  Spiegel and Boers were simply awesome together, and Boers and Shepkowski were very good as well.

• Like 1

I was listening to The Score last night and Cubs lover David Schuster was discussing the Sox moves with Scott Merkin.  He actually asked Merkin if the Sox would add an infielder like Addison Russell and Merkin shut his ass down hard.  Such a joke that the Cubs loving media can’t discuss another team without somehow tying the discussion back to the Cubs.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1