Sports Media discussion

12 minutes ago, G&T said:

1. Why was the joke inappropriate then? By what standard? 

2. Why, in his view, can't she have her shoulders showing? Why make the joke? How is it not degrading for a woman to have her clothes criticized by a man who doesn't face the same standard?

And I've listened to him forever. He doesn't continue to get into these messes because he respects other people.

I'm not here to convince you that jokes like this are wrong, but your defense of McNeil doesn't make any sense. It cannot be both inappropriate, but also harmless.

I'm not defending him at all. I'm not saying I agree with the decision by either him or the company. In today's climate he should have known better than to make comments like that. I'm just saying that he wasn't making the comment to be because he thinks lesser of the reporter as the other poster suggested. 

edit: I guess I am defending his motivation behind the comment but certainly not the decision to make the comment. He's been in the business long enough to know the climate and what is going to get him in trouble. Although with his history self control is not a strong suit

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, G&T said:

No. The tweet shows that McNeil thinks lesser of people in that industry, and then compared Taylor to them.

No it doesn't actually. Dan McNeil has talked about his love for the adult entertainment industry for 25+ years. He was making an off color observation that didn't land. If he would have said it on yesterday's show instead of tweeting it, he'd still be employed right now. 

I remember McNeil from the 90's. One time he asked Sox fans to call and discuss why they didn't attend more games. Fans called thinking it was going to be a discussion. It wasn't. McNeil belittled everything that was said even if it had some merit. He then cut the caller off and went on to the next caller he would abuse. His arrogance was obvious. So were his anger issues.

I actually think McNeil has a great deal of talent, but he can't seem to disagree with people without an angry confrontation. 

Regarding the tweet, ptatc is right. In this day and age, a public person should know better. We shouldn't have to sit here and debate what his motives were. It was just plain stupid and insensitive. McNeil isn't talking right now, but maybe we will get his side soon. Regardless, it's possible the Score was looking for an excuse to get rid of him, and he gave it to them.

I stopped listening to the Score a long time ago for this reason: Hosts would often insult, belittle and even scream at callers. I'm an adult; I am not going to put up with that nonsense. And in any dispute between the fans and any sporting industry, Score hosts always came out against the fans. 

In reality, I'd like to see McNeil save his career. But he can't say this was a joke or that he is a victim. That is total BS.  

9 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I remember McNeil from the 90's. One time he asked Sox fans to call and discuss why they didn't attend more games. Fans called thinking it was going to be a discussion. It wasn't. McNeil belittled everything that was said even if it had some merit. He then cut the caller off and went on to the next caller he would abuse. His arrogance was obvious. So were his anger issues.

I actually think McNeil has a great deal of talent, but he can't seem to disagree with people without an angry confrontation. 

Regarding the tweet, ptatc is right. In this day and age, a public person should know better. We shouldn't have to sit here and debate what his motives were. It was just plain stupid and insensitive. McNeil isn't talking right now, but maybe we will get his side soon. Regardless, it's possible the Score was looking for an excuse to get rid of him, and he gave it to them.

I stopped listening to the Score a long time ago for this reason: Hosts would often insult, belittle and even scream at callers. I'm an adult; I am not going to put up with that nonsense. And in any dispute between the fans and any sporting industry, Score hosts always came out against the fans. 

In reality, I'd like to see McNeil save his career. But he can't say this was a joke or that he is a victim. That is total BS.  

I just don't know where he can go from here, it isn't like he has a long list of sports talk stations to choose from and he already has bad history with both of them.  Maybe him and terry can start doing morning fuel crew again from their basements in some sort of live streaming format

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I just don't know where he can go from here, it isn't like he has a long list of sports talk stations to choose from and he already has bad history with both of them.  Maybe him and terry can start doing morning fuel crew again from their basements in some sort of live streaming format

Probably back to selling cars in Indiana, where he was a couple of years ago.

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Probably back to selling cars in Indiana, where he was a couple of years ago.

Which, in a sense, despite everything, is too bad.

When Tim Wiegel was battling cancer, different media persons filled in for him for a job he had on a FM station. One morning I heard this great summation of the sports news. The person was articulate and it was one job that was ultra-professional. I was surprised to realize it was McNeil. He actually sounded brilliant. Too bad he is battling such demons.

20 hours ago, NWINFan said:

McNeil was basically going to retire after the 2022Super Bowl. His plan was to do voiceovers and fill in work, buy an RV and Iive a simple lifestyle out west. In a way I feel for him, but the tweet was pretty stupid, and since he probably made some money and ad sales are probably near an all time low, firing and perhaps getting out of the contract probably trumps a long    suspension.

Edited by Dick Allen

10 hours ago, Madrigal Mystery Tour said:

She may not wind up with Bernstein. I would expect them to shuffle things again.

That is what I am thinking too. I don’t know if she’ll be with Bernstein, maybe she will be paired up again with someone else. I would love Spiegs to be reunited with Parkins, they had a good thing going when things got blown up.

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

I agree. I thought she did a good job as the host on the Sox shows. The only issue is can she put up with the arrogant Bernstein on a daily basis. I'm sure that's why it's every Wednesday for now.

I don’t know that I see her being on radio, she might be better on TV.

8 hours ago, Madrigal Mystery Tour said:

Leila is great today on 670 the score. 

They have a real opportunity to promote her to full time. They need to take it. There is a severe lack of females on 670 the score

They need to give her more time to talk, Bernstein talks too much on the show. She has personality but she needs to be able to lead the segment.

7 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Which, in a sense, despite everything, is too bad.

When Tim Wiegel was battling cancer, different media persons filled in for him for a job he had on a FM station. One morning I heard this great summation of the sports news. The person was articulate and it was one job that was ultra-professional. I was surprised to realize it was McNeil. He actually sounded brilliant. Too bad he is battling such demons.

I hope he gets a chance to continue somewhere. Mac and Jurko would be entertaining as would him and Terry. He’s the reason I showed up in the afternoons to listen to sports since he complemented Parkins well.

As a station, I wish they would take more callers though. I was entertained by the arguments that were actual disagreements and not just shitting on the caller. Bill on Capitol Hill is a good caller for Bernstein and those opposing social or political issues make for good callers. It’s better than just interviews with analysts and makes radio more exciting, at least to me.

26 minutes ago, The Beast said:

That is what I am thinking too. I don’t know if she’ll be with Bernstein, maybe she will be paired up again with someone else. I would love Spiegs to be reunited with Parkins, they had a good thing going when things got blown up.

I don’t know that I see her being on radio, she might be better on TV.

Agreed. But no ones is hiring right now. They are laying people off.

20 minutes ago, The Beast said:

They need to give her more time to talk, Bernstein talks too much on the show. She has personality but she needs to be able to lead the segment.

I hope he gets a chance to continue somewhere. Mac and Jurko would be entertaining as would him and Terry. He’s the reason I showed up in the afternoons to listen to sports since he complemented Parkins well.

As a station, I wish they would take more callers though. I was entertained by the arguments that were actual disagreements and not just shitting on the caller. Bill on Capitol Hill is a good caller for Bernstein and those opposing social or political issues make for good callers. It’s better than just interviews with analysts and makes radio more exciting, at least to me.

Turn to WBBM. . Unfortunately, he did this far too often thinking he was not on sports station.

Edited by ptatc

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Turn to WBBM. . Unfortunately, he did this far too often thinking he was not on sports station.

Doesn’t WBBM just have news? I would say that Parkins enabled Mac and Goff enabled Bernstein to have those conversations. But those arguments have been among the most entertaining over the last few years, unless there were good frequent callers like Frank in Oak Park with Hub Arkush or Bill on Capitol Hill with Bernstein. Or Bears Monday callers.

On 9/16/2020 at 10:13 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No it doesn't actually. Dan McNeil has talked about his love for the adult entertainment industry for 25+ years. He was making an off color observation that didn't land. If he would have said it on yesterday's show instead of tweeting it, he'd still be employed right now. 

Agreed. Hell, strip clubs (Heavenly Bodies), condoms and other ads are that station's bread and butter. That said, with the social media backlash, not surprised he is gone after several strikes over the years. Levine and Bernstein, and to a lesser extent Spiegel, are lucky to be around at this point.

Holmes and Boers are the only hosts I really like(d) over the years. I'll listen to White Sox associated clips online if I have the time, but their current lineup (Mornings, Bernstein and Parkins solo, the gambling guy) are brutal. I don't bother with the four letter network, well at least until next year when the Sox move there.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:40 PM, The Beast said:

Doesn’t WBBM just have news? I would say that Parkins enabled Mac and Goff enabled Bernstein to have those conversations. But those arguments have been among the most entertaining over the last few years, unless there were good frequent callers like Frank in Oak Park with Hub Arkush or Bill on Capitol Hill with Bernstein. Or Bears Monday callers.

That was my point. If you are looking for the political callers to make good conversation like Bernstein likes to do go to WBBM. He likes to play like he is on a serious news station for too often. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, Madrigal Mystery Tour said:

Leila is great today on 670 the score. 

They have a real opportunity to promote her to full time. They need to take it. There is a severe lack of females on 670 the score

She needs to be on TV because I think she's cute.  Is that so wrong?  😊  Yeah, she knows her sports and is a professional broadcaster, too.  But take the job if it's offered.  I might start listening to Bernstein again.  

Edited by Stinky Stanky
  • Like 1

I don’t see Leila being added as a regular on the Score with either Bernstein or Parkins.

Parkins and she weren’t on the same wavelength at all. I bet they go with Anthony Herron if they add a regular cohost. I haven’t heard much of him, but he’s pretty good.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

On 10/6/2020 at 11:19 PM, Stinky Stanky said:

She needs to be on TV because I think she's cute.  Is that so wrong?  😊  Yeah, she knows her sports and is a professional broadcaster, too.  But take the job if it's offered.  I might start listening to Bernstein again.  

Use the Twitch site on Wednesdays, it always brightens my day.😁

On 10/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

I don’t see Leila being added as a regular on the Score with either Bernstein or Parkins.

Parkins and she weren’t on the same wavelength at all. I bet they go with Anthony Herron if they add a regular cohost. I haven’t heard much of him, but he’s pretty good.

I don't follow much, but I saw Herron for the first time on the Bears postgamer.  He's a keeper.

https://deadspin.com/breaking-adam-schefter-is-a-vacuous-turd-who-demonstra-1845361199

It's astonishing that Julie DiCaro has a job anymore. Her latest deadspin piece was more pathetic than usual. What an incompetent, miserable piece of crap she is. It's apparent that deadspin is simply employing people for shock value now. Sorry for even sharing this.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

35 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

https://deadspin.com/breaking-adam-schefter-is-a-vacuous-turd-who-demonstra-1845361199

It's astonishing that Julie DiCaro has a job anymore. Her latest deadspin piece was more pathetic than usual. What an incompetent, miserable piece of crap she is. It's apparent that deadspin is simply employing people for shock value now. Sorry for even sharing this.

I read this out of curiosity. Wow, don't click on this garbage. 

On 10/14/2020 at 10:50 AM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

That article is completely embarrassing.