Sports Media discussion

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Nice, they put spiegel back with Parkins.

They are great together and I have really grown to love Spiegs over the years. When he first came on at the score he seemed so much like an outsider and not a Chicago guy. Now he is just enjoyable to listen to. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Good to have Spiegs back even if I can’t stand Parkins. Does anyone have any thoughts one way or the other on the lineup at ESPN versus the lineup at 670? I’m thinking of listening more to ESPN and less of 670 to change things up a bit.

I only turn on the four letter network for a baseball game (previously National games, adding White Sox this year). Let us know if any of the talk content has improved or at least partially covers baseball beyond the one hour show they offered early evenings. My previous exposure to that station is nearly all coverage (national or local hosts) revolves around NFL/NBA/National Hot Takes. I’ll listen to Connor McKnight as well, though loved listening to Rongey lose it postgame after Sox losses.

With the Score, I weed out the bullshit (Bears, Navel-gazing, Politics, etc.) and listen to baseball talk (White Sox, Cubs, MLB Baseball discussions) targeting online podcasts which clearly label baseball discussions.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, Kyyle23 said:

Parkins and Spiegel both coming down on their old boss Jimmy DeCastro for blowing up their old show.

I mean, I knew he did what he did because he wanted Mac back but I never thought I would hear them say it on the air

Was this on the Monday show?  

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

During their first hour yea.  Mully and Haugh the next morning had some things to say also

I suppose it's not too surprising. DeCastro doesn't run the show there anymore and it's clear he did more damage than good with his lineup changes. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, y2chae said:

I suppose it's not too surprising. DeCastro doesn't run the show there anymore and it's clear he did more damage than good with his lineup changes. 

Mully was saying how happy he was for Spiegel and said something like "dare I say he got his revenge".  I liked it because I wasn't a fan of the lineup changes either

• Like 1

Just finished listening to a enjoyable George Offman podcast with new White Sox play-by-play announcer Len Kasper. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/full-ep-former-cubs-new-white-sox-announcer-len-kasper-2-16-21/id1549396526?i=1000509194456

This is my first lengthy exposure to Len, but like him more with each interview. Kasper is one of seven play-by-play announcers to announce for both Chicago teams in nearly a century of broadcasting:

• Hal Totten: White Sox (1926-34) & Cubs (1924-1944)
  • "The Commander" Bob Elson: White Sox (1930-1942; 1944-1970) & Cubs (1928-1941)
  • Jack Brickhouse: White Sox (1940-1943; 1945 & 1948–67)  & Cubs (1941-1945 & 1947-1981)
  • Milo Hamilton: White Sox (1962-65)  & Cubs (1955–57 &1980–84)
  • Harry Caray: White Sox (1971-81)  & Cubs (1982-97)
  • Steve Stone: White Sox (2008-present)  & Cubs (1983–2000 & 2003–2004)
  • Len Kasper: White Sox (2021-current)  & Cubs (2005-2020)

Looking forward to tuning into Len's first broadcast with the White Sox.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 10:20 PM, ron883 said:

Sounds like Terry Boers isn't doing so well. They also did a segment on Bernstein and Tahini, Feb 12, where they listened to old B&B clips. Mainly Mike from Milwaukee and Bob clips. Could have just been a coincidence. 

Update. Good news...

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:32 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Just finished listening to a enjoyable George Offman podcast with new White Sox play-by-play announcer Len Kasper. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/full-ep-former-cubs-new-white-sox-announcer-len-kasper-2-16-21/id1549396526?i=1000509194456

This is my first lengthy exposure to Len, but like him more with each interview. Kasper is one of seven play-by-play announcers to announce for both Chicago teams in nearly a century of broadcasting:

• Hal Totten: White Sox (1926-34) & Cubs (1924-1944)
  • "The Commander" Bob Elson: White Sox (1930-1942; 1944-1970) & Cubs (1928-1941)
  • Jack Brickhouse: White Sox (1940-1943; 1945 & 1948–67)  & Cubs (1941-1945 & 1947-1981)
  • Milo Hamilton: White Sox (1962-65)  & Cubs (1955–57 &1980–84)
  • Harry Caray: White Sox (1971-81)  & Cubs (1982-97)
  • Steve Stone: White Sox (2008-present)  & Cubs (1983–2000 & 2003–2004)
  • Len Kasper: White Sox (2021-current)  & Cubs (2005-2020)

Looking forward to tuning into Len's first broadcast with the White Sox.

Thanks for sharing, that was a better listen than my usual morning consumption of political podcasts.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 9:32 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

George leans a little heavy on “tell me a story I don’t know about______” as a leading conversation starter. I listened to the Eddie O interview. Pretty good.

I always liked George on the Score, so I’ll listen to select shows (skipping blowhards like Greenberg and Wilbon).

Edited by Middle Buffalo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

Mark Giangreco joins Mark Grace and Dan McNeil in the former Chicago sports media personality category.

He's also been absent from the White Sox flagship radio station after his ditzy comment about Cheryl Burton during a previous broadcast.

I never understood the staying power of Giangreco. Anybody can say something stupid, but he should have known better than to say something like this in this political climate. Maybe he just couldn't help himself.  Something tells me he was a pain off camera as well as on. Regardless, I won't miss him.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 8:39 AM, NWINFan said:

I never understood the staying power of Giangreco. Anybody can say something stupid, but he should have known better than to say something like this in this political climate. Maybe he just couldn't help himself.  Something tells me he was a pain off camera as well as on. Regardless, I won't miss him.

They have been trading sarcastic remarks for a long time.  Mark more than Cheryl from what I have seen but she has participated too.

and he absolutely should have known better to say what he said

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

They have been trading sarcastic remarks for a long time.  Mark more than Cheryl from what I have seen but she has participated too.

and he absolutely should have known better to say what he said

I don't know the history of these two, but people do need to be more careful about what they say. Even if it doesn't hurt them professionally, some remarks turn from sarcastic to insulting, or in this case, sexist. And it goes on for a long time, it is bound to get out of hand. I knew guys who liked to kid around with each other, but finally it went too far and began to hurt their friendship. It was too bad because both were decent guys. 

Matt Spiegel's Baseball Show (Sunday 9-noon) returns this weekend. Usually has a few interviews and goes in depth on both teams. Definitely worth a listen, it's a solid local show.

They historically have podcasts saved on their website if you can't listen live, or want to sift through to hit Sox only segments.

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/podcasts/hit-run-with-matt-spiegel-59

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

How long has Rongey been back on the Score? Heard him filling in for Bernstein yesterday and today.

He got let go from ESPN last year in the summer or fall. Rongey filled in over the winter and I believe he also auditioned to be Bernstein’s co-host. He will be back somewhere but I doubt it’ll be with the Score.