Sports Media discussion

Grobber got me through college, always listened to him whenever I was up late working on a paper or a project. Even now, I’d always have him on as I’d leave set at night. Going to miss that weird guy. 

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 3

man. If you would have told me 10 years ago I'd enjoy Mully and Haugh  (I'm aware they didn't exist yet as a tandem) much, much more than Dan Bernstein I'd have laughed in your face but man he has become such a miserable listen. It doesn't even feel like he has any actual expertise anymore, he always seems to just be poking around his guests asking "how should I be mad about this, clearly its bad, tell me how its bad" and then railing against it.

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

man. If you would have told me 10 years ago I'd enjoy Mully and Haugh  (I'm aware they didn't exist yet as a tandem) much, much more than Dan Bernstein I'd have laughed in your face but man he has become such a miserable listen. It doesn't even feel like he has any actual expertise anymore, he always seems to just be poking around his guests asking "how should I be mad about this, clearly its bad, tell me how its bad" and then railing against it.

He has definitely embraced that style of host.  Leila is fine with him but too often they both play the bad cop role and it sucks.  I love Mully but can't stand Haugh 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, bmags said:

Lots of Score listeners (especially the clowns at Chicago Fanatics) hate Bernstein, but he’s actually one of my favorites. He’s got some good thoughts as it relates to baseball and analytics and I enjoy his Bears commentary. Rahimi was a welcome addition to the show, but Dan is definitely on his best behavior now. His best days were when he was with Terry though.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:22 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Ok enough of this already 

I enjoyed John Mullin’s work when he was with the Tribune, but he’s shedding light on a tough disease. His podcasts are inspiring. Cancer sucks. 

57 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Lots of Score listeners (especially the clowns at Chicago Fanatics) hate Bernstein, but he’s actually one of my favorites. He’s got some good thoughts as it relates to baseball and analytics and I enjoy his Bears commentary. Rahimi was a welcome addition to the show, but Dan is definitely on his best behavior now. His best days were when he was with Terry though.

I enjoyed John Mullin’s work when he was with the Tribune, but he’s shedding light on a tough disease. His podcasts are inspiring. Cancer sucks. 

I meant enough of the local longtime media guys getting sick.  

On 1/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, The Beast said:

Bernstein just hasn't been the same since he got suspended/neutered most recently. It almost feels like he can't be himself with to Rahimi. It's like he's always trying to be on his absolute best behavior, maybe because of his comments about a woman that got him suspended last time. You hear him with Rongey and he just sounds so much more comfortable. He's still the grumpy old woke bastard that he is, but Dan is better when it is him and Rongey. 

Side note, it's crazy how much Ray Ray reminds me of Dan Bernstein. I wouldn't be shocked if it turns out Ray Ray is Bernstein. 

Edited by ron883

On 1/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, The Beast said:

Meh, I think this is why I can't stand him. I think he's a fraud on that stuff. I generally know the arguments and writers he's alluding to when he's creating his stances and like those writers, he's only capable of trying to turn that stuff into a good vs evil battle.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Meh, I think this is why I can't stand him. I think he's a fraud on that stuff. I generally know the arguments and writers he's alluding to when he's creating his stances and like those writers, he's only capable of trying to turn that stuff into a good vs evil battle.

Like last year when Bernstein and Rahimi said that Dylan Cease for Joc Pederson was a good trade, but it wasn't enough from the Sox to get Joc, lol

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Like last year when Bernstein and Rahimi said that Dylan Cease for Joc Pederson was a good trade, but it wasn't enough from the Sox to get Joc, lol

I didn't even see you posted this, ron, lol. As soon as I saw what bmags said, I just went to Twitter to find the audio clip lol. 

• 1 month later...

On 1/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, bmags said:

I just started checking in with the Score for the first time in maybe 12 years. I used to like B&B just due to the drama with callers. Aside from that, it was the only show where there was some analytical ability on display. Nothing has really changed with the Score except it has gotten a bit worse in quality. I always liked radio and hope it stays around. It's nice to have the shared ephemeral experience of radio rather than the utterly lonesome podcast and not have radio at all.

- I noticed this same thing you mention with Bernstein. He has a less masculine intellect now that he's paired with a woman. I'm not sure if that's conscious or unconscious. He used to be really aggressive with callers and now he's upbeat more often and doesn't seem to know that much about sports. No one on the station is a really good mind for sports analysis. No one is criticizing the Sox front office. There's just something fundamentally missing. There was a Black Jack interview with Parkins & Spiegel and he said a lot of controversial stuff but they had either no interest or no ability to push back on him. I like Black Jack a lot because he doesn't care. He wants to push buttons but no one has the will to match. Bernstein couldn't handle that interview because he's too shrill and histrionic on any topic that he thinks is objective. These guys, by contrast, were too nice. They were just 'there.' One would like to hear meta discussions about baseball and get the feeling that it was consequential in some way. 

- I wonder how Rahimi got that prime job. She has a bad sounding voice and the charisma and speaking talent of a producer, not a host. She'd be better in the Abbattacola role. I was surprised to learn Abbattacola left sports radio.

- I didn't know there was a Bernstein and Goff show, but the old clips indicate it was just social justice stuff non-stop. In the 2000s I remember it was no politics allowed. Occasionally, Dave from Westmont would say something about Bush and he'd be cut off. Then in the Trump era it became a political station. 

- Back in the old days I liked Holmes a lot, but he's just bad now. He's a little bit political but overall just bad. Listening to the Score for a little while makes me want to say 'bad' a lot I guess.

Edited by KBX

6 hours ago, KBX said:

I just started checking in with the Score for the first time in maybe 12 years. I used to like B&B just due to the drama with callers. Aside from that, it was the only show where there was some analytical ability on display. Nothing has really changed with the Score except it has gotten a bit worse in quality. I always liked radio and hope it stays around. It's nice to have the shared ephemeral experience of radio rather than the utterly lonesome podcast and not have radio at all.

- I noticed this same thing you mention with Bernstein. He has a less masculine intellect now that he's paired with a woman. I'm not sure if that's conscious or unconscious. He used to be really aggressive with callers and now he's upbeat more often and doesn't seem to know that much about sports. No one on the station is a really good mind for sports analysis. No one is criticizing the Sox front office. There's just something fundamentally missing. There was a Black Jack interview with Parkins & Spiegel and he said a lot of controversial stuff but they had either no interest or no ability to push back on him. I like Black Jack a lot because he doesn't care. He wants to push buttons but no one has the will to match. Bernstein couldn't handle that interview because he's too shrill and histrionic on any topic that he thinks is objective. These guys, by contrast, were too nice. They were just 'there.' One would like to hear meta discussions about baseball and get the feeling that it was consequential in some way. 

- I wonder how Rahimi got that prime job. She has a bad sounding voice and the charisma and speaking talent of a producer, not a host. She'd be better in the Abbattacola role. I was surprised to learn Abbattacola left sports radio.

- I didn't know there was a Bernstein and Goff show, but the old clips indicate it was just social justice stuff non-stop. In the 2000s I remember it was no politics allowed. Occasionally, Dave from Westmont would say something about Bush and he'd be cut off. Then in the Trump era it became a political station. 

- Back in the old days I liked Holmes a lot, but he's just bad now. He's a little bit political but overall just bad. Listening to the Score for a little while makes me want to say 'bad' a lot I guess.

I disagree nobody is good for sports analysis, I think the spiegel and parkins show has become one of the best score shows for the last 20 years. Both very smart across pretty much every sport (will defer on hockey), and often can make me die laughing. 

13 hours ago, KBX said:

I also disagree with you and many others on Bernstein. He’s one of the few reasons I listen to 670 now. He does take on callers that are crappy and he does have some good sports analysis. He tries to understand analytics unlike many others. He is intelligent and keeps his show flowing. As for how he is with Rahimi, he can’t say what he used to stay around her or another host. Look what happened to Mac and you’ll see why he can’t.

As for Bernstein and Goff, I didn’t mind the political and SJW stuff, it was a good time for it given who was president, some of the actions being taken by that administration and the issues of the time - Penn State, Michigan State and Kaepernick, along with an audience that called in. They gave it back to people who deserved it and it ultimately did Goff in, pushed Bernstein to mornings and sent Spiegel to the bullpen. 

One thing I do agree with you on is how there hasn’t been much criticizing aside from the Bears old brass. They definitely don’t criticize the Sox FO enough and I wonder if that is because of the connections some of the hosts have with the Sox.

21 hours ago, The Beast said:

I also disagree with you and many others on Bernstein. He’s one of the few reasons I listen to 670 now. He does take on callers that are crappy and he does have some good sports analysis. He tries to understand analytics unlike many others. He is intelligent and keeps his show flowing. As for how he is with Rahimi, he can’t say what he used to stay around her or another host. Look what happened to Mac and you’ll see why he can’t.

As for Bernstein and Goff, I didn’t mind the political and SJW stuff, it was a good time for it given who was president, some of the actions being taken by that administration and the issues of the time - Penn State, Michigan State and Kaepernick, along with an audience that called in. They gave it back to people who deserved it and it ultimately did Goff in, pushed Bernstein to mornings and sent Spiegel to the bullpen. 

One thing I do agree with you on is how there hasn’t been much criticizing aside from the Bears old brass. They definitely don’t criticize the Sox FO enough and I wonder if that is because of the connections some of the hosts have with the Sox.

They needed to turn the score political because we had a very normally governing republican president? I'm not a supporter of any mainstream politics but Trump hysteria was just that. Nowadays a lot of highly irrational, unreasonable people are taken seriously. Sports audiences in particular tend to be politically in the middle if not center-right, and if the corporate radio monopoly was pragmatic about things, you wouldn't have all that stuff that's not demographically appropriate. Should Nike's politics be taken seriously? Should we be talking about their stuff on the radio when we're trying to enjoy an inherently apolitical sports escape? Nike claims to believe in social justice, whatever that means to them, but they make cheap clothing with slave labor overseas and always has. Nike uses Kaepernick to gain exposure, and Kaepernick in turn adopts this personally enriching political standpoint in order to recoup the millions he lost by going downhill as a quarterback. This kind of contrived corporate morality is not necessarily worthy of anyone's time.

Edited by KBX

• 2 months later...