Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
Wouldn't tehre be some sort of "witness intimidation" protection for a victim?

I guess it depends on what he told her. If it was along the lines of if you report this it could become a major embarrassment and God wouldn't like you anymore, I think that's just being an asshole, not illegal. If he had said if you report this i'm going to get you kicked out of school, sure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
One other thing to consider is the girl was a student/athlete.

Not sure how this is relevant beyond Alford maybe having even more leverage, at least from the girl's perspective, if she's there on scholarship.

The athletic department probably was more involved because of it.

Maybe, maybe not. Irrelevant to Alford actions.

I don't find his actions legit, I believe he should have stayed out of it, let the others handle it,but he cared about his player and knew if he was convicted of this crime he didn't believe his player committed would ruin the guy's life. If you think a person close to you is being falsely accused of rape, wouldn't you think the person accusing them is lying?

Well, by definition, yeah, I'd think they were lying. But that wouldn't justify me taking any actions similar to Alford's, especially when there's such a huge power imbalance as there was there. Stop trying to make Alford's actions here, actions meant to silence an alleged sexual assault victim, as the outpouring of some bleeding-heart coach who's the real victim here for his misplaced, naive trust.

But again, it all came down to trusting what Pierre Pierce had to say.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he's even more of a terrible person than I'm giving him credit for and was just looking to sweep this under the rug. It's certainly happened before.

If he truly thought he was lying, he would have thrown him off the team. Why isn't Bernstein going after the University or the AD? They didn't even throw him out of school.

Don't know, not relevant to your continued excuse-making for Alford's s***ty, inexcusable actions.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Was Alford at this fake prayer meeting and who is the source regarding the info ?

From the official report on the matter.

In addition to these formal contacts, some contacts with the female student were initiated by persons who were not University employees, but who have an informal University relationship. In particular, individuals affiliated with Athletes in Action, a religious organization, contacted the victim to seek an informal resolution of the matter by asking the victim to meet informally for prayer with the perpetrator. One of those individuals had a longstanding relationship with the basketball program and its coach, which included traveling with the basketball team and conducting voluntary chapel and Bible study activities for the team and staff.

The female student's reaction to this contact was concern that the University was improperly involving itself in trying to resolve the matter. For her, this confirmed her fears that the University would act to protect its athlete and would not effectively pursue her interests in a disciplinary matter. Her response was to pursue criminal charges against the student athlete.

sick f*cks

One of those individuals had a longstanding relationship with the basketball program and its coach,

I don't think there's any dispute of Alford's involvement there.

Trying to arrange a "prayer session" where you force the victim to confront her attacker directly is f***ed.

That's a shame. Too bad he didn't take that advice when he was an employee of the University of Iowa and publicly shamed a student who was a sexual assault victim.

But I don't know what legal consequences would be at issue there. He's apologized for other things like yelling at people before. You'd think this guy who "just made a mistake" in trusting one student over another and publicly calling the victim a liar would feel some remorse and publicly apologize for his actions.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
You're right. Bernstein has a problem with coaches. But he doesn't go around making up stories to hurt their reputations. He's simply reporting something that Steve Alford did that is reprehensible.

Not coaches. Only college coaches. There were Chicago area high school coaches with scandals recently. He doesn't mention it. But take a college coach and he's all over it. I'm not excusing any of the behavior. He is not wrong. But he has an agenda and he rides ad nauseum. I don't listen often but it's the same thing over and over again.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
Not coaches. Only college coaches. There were Chicago area high school coaches with scandals recently. He doesn't mention it. But take a college coach and he's all over it. I'm not excusing any of the behavior. He is not wrong. But he has an agenda and he rides ad nauseum. I don't listen often but it's the same thing over and over again.

What exactly did Coach K do to him when he was at Duke? I've heard Bernstein rip him before, but I've never heard the details.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
What exactly did Coach K do to him when he was at Duke? I've heard Bernstein rip him before, but I've never heard the details.

Probably forgot his name once.

Was not very cooperative and arrogant with student press and such. Also the whole situation with preferential treatment of the basketball team.

Treated all student press like s***. Like this for example.

Count me among the anti-Bernstein crowd because I believe that he is a huge phony. However, my defense of Alford's actions that will follow aren't colored by my dislike of DB.

From what I've read, Alford basically supported his player and discredited the accuser. It doesn't appear that he went way over the line and participated in a cover-up of any sort. The AIA thing is pretty bad, I agree, but who knows exactly what his level of involvement was in the situation. Obviously, he backed a bad guy, so he probably should have just stayed out of it entirely and let the university handle the situation.

What if he really believed Pierce, though? What if the accusation turned out to be made up?

Remember the Duke Lacrosse team? Three members of the team were accused of a sexual assault and tried and convicted in the media. People still associate Duke Lacrosse with out of control behavior even though they were found to be doing little more than underaged drinking and shenanigans.

It's a tough situation for a coach. I think it's human nature for people to protect and believe people they know versus believing the accusations of someone they don't.

Again, I'm really not defending Alford, but I can see where stuff like this gets really confusing for people who are asked to answer for the actions of those around them. To drag it up 11 years after the fact when Alford really didn't do much wrong reaks of desperation for attention on Bernstein's part.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
Um, he knew he wasn't innocent and even if he believed he was, he wouldn't have tried to shut her up

I doubt Alford KNEW anything for sure in this case. He took the side of the player he coached. He went too far. His involvement in the case is being overstated to stroke Bernstein's ego.

False accusations of sexual crimes do occasionally occur.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/exone...topstories.html

http://today.duke.edu/showcase/lacrosseincident/

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:27 PM)
Count me among the anti-Bernstein crowd because I believe that he is a huge phony. However, my defense of Alford's actions that will follow aren't colored by my dislike of DB.

From what I've read, Alford basically supported his player and discredited the accuser. It doesn't appear that he went way over the line and participated in a cover-up of any sort. The AIA thing is pretty bad, I agree, but who knows exactly what his level of involvement was in the situation. Obviously, he backed a bad guy, so he probably should have just stayed out of it entirely and let the university handle the situation.

What if he really believed Pierce, though? What if the accusation turned out to be made up?

Remember the Duke Lacrosse team? Three members of the team were accused of a sexual assault and tried and convicted in the media. People still associate Duke Lacrosse with out of control behavior even though they were found to be doing little more than underaged drinking and shenanigans.

It's a tough situation for a coach. I think it's human nature for people to protect and believe people they know versus believing the accusations of someone they don't.

Again, I'm really not defending Alford, but I can see where stuff like this gets really confusing for people who are asked to answer for the actions of those around them. To drag it up 11 years after the fact when Alford really didn't do much wrong reaks of desperation for attention on Bernstein's part.

It's not a tough situation for a coach. You don't come out and accuse an alleged victim, another student at the university, of being a liar in the press. You say you support your players and there's an ongoing investigation, the end. You sure as s*** don't try to use behind-the-scenes pressure on get her to shut up.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
I doubt Alford KNEW anything for sure in this case. He took the side of the player he coached. He went too far. His involvement in the case is being overstated to stroke Bernstein's ego.

False accusations of sexual crimes do occasionally occur.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/exone...topstories.html

http://today.duke.edu/showcase/lacrosseincident/

Tried to strong arm a victim to protect the basketball program. Knew exactly what he was doing. The fact that false accusations of sexual crimes occurs does nothing. Strangesox explained the coaching101 way to handle it.

That's enough involvement in my book, if it's not for you, then fine.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
In case people missed the post in the basketball forum:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=2779876

Interesting. I take back anything I said in defense of Alford. I really didn't know much about the case other than a few articles that I skimmed after reading through the thread, but I was wrong.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
LMAO. Upset with a student newspaper giving out grades. If that effects your players, you need some new players.

I can't blame Bernstein for not liking Coach K.

You don't have to like him but you also don't need to relentlessly attack every college coach at every opportunity and beat it to death. He takes it overboard to vindictiveness and he comes of petty and jealous.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, not relevant to Chicago, but the ESPN Radio Station in Louisville has just ditched its last national show, Mike & Mike, for yet another local show. I can't f***ing take non-stop college basketball talk during April-October.

You do know that the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky, right? If had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a 'teethbrush'

Edited by HickoryHuskers