Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
I laughed when Hawk referred to Boers & Bernstein as "Gutless Wonders" and "Jay Mariotti Wannabees" during today's telecast. Should be a fun listen tomorrow. :D

Hawk needs to go. He continually says Billy Bean wrote Money Ball.. which he didnt. He rips on B&B for always looking for ways to insult Reinsdorf... which is actually completely OPPOSITE of that they do.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
Hawk needs to go. He continually says Billy Bean wrote Money Ball.. which he didnt. He rips on B&B for always looking for ways to insult Reinsdorf... which is actually completely OPPOSITE of that they do.

Hawk's buddies listen to imaginary radio

Listening to Bernstein talk about religion beliefs makes me want to put a gun to my head.

what an arrogant jerk.

He essentially tied anyone who believes that homosexuality is a biblical sin to Westboro Baptist Church. Which, these days, is essentially like saying anyone who follows Islam supports terrorists. Because you believe in a god, you are wrong, and he is 100% right about anything religious... despite not believing in one.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Listening to Bernstein talk about religion beliefs makes me want to put a gun to my head.

what an arrogant jerk.

He essentially tied anyone who believes that homosexuality is a biblical sin to Westboro Baptist Church. Which, these days, is essentially like saying anyone who follows Islam supports terrorists. Because you believe in a god, you are wrong, and he is 100% right about anything religious... despite not believing in one.

It's a shame that any religion is tied to those nut balls.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)

what an arrogant jerk.

Yeah, that was a pathetic argument by Berstein.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Yeah, that was a pathetic argument by Berstein.

now, the caller was not prepared to have an educated debate. but, they wouldn't allow an educated debater on air, because they might actually challenge him. They make sure to put through the easy to pick on people.

But, Bernstein invoking Westboro was sooooo pathetic.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
now, the caller was not prepared to have an educated debate. but, they wouldn't allow an educated debater on air, because they might actually challenge him. They make sure to put through the easy to pick on people.

But, Bernstein invoking Westboro was sooooo pathetic.

Exactly. I actually agree with Bernstein on this issue, but the way he sells his point is always over the top and arrogant.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Exactly. I actually agree with Bernstein on this issue, but the way he sells his point is always over the top and arrogant.

agree in what regard? I am not trying to egg you into a pro/anti-homosexuality debate. i just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
Chris Broussard saying Collins is living in sin and rebelling against God. Oh brother.

see, this is where the opposition (people like Bernstein) takes things to an extreme. Just because you believe that doesnt mean you HATE the person. I believe homosexuality is a biblical sin. but the bible says to LOVE your neighbor as you love yourself. I'll love any gay person as a human being. But, when we all die, God will judge. Maybe I am wrong. I'll leave that up to god.

Does believing being gay is a sin make you a bigot? I believe that depends on your actions and I'd never treat a gay person any differently than a straight or bi person.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
see, this is where the opposition (people like Bernstein) takes things to an extreme. Just because you believe that doesnt mean you HATE the person. I believe homosexuality is a biblical sin. but the bible says to LOVE your neighbor as you love yourself. I'll love any gay person as a human being. But, when we all die, God will judge. Maybe I am wrong. I'll leave that up to god.

Does believing being gay is a sin make you a bigot? I believe that depends on your actions and I'd never treat a gay person any differently than a straight or bi person.

I don't want this to turn into a big religious debate...you have every right to believe whatever you choose to...but why does he have to use his position to make this statement? Why do we care what Chris Broussard's personal religious beliefs are?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)

It could be a grey area.

I was raised Catholic but stopped practicing for personal reasons. I just believe people should be whatever they are so they are happy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't want this to turn into a big religious debate...you have every right to believe whatever you choose to...but why does he have to use his position to make this statement? Why do we care what Chris Broussard's personal religious beliefs are?

because it makes for great ratings

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
well then he deserves the backlash he gets from guys like Bernstein...once you open that door, you have to face what comes through it.

Chris Broussard strikes me as a guy who'd be ok with a debate and not hide away. Not that he's confrontational, just firm in his beliefs. Some are afraid to really speak their mind because they know they'll be shouted down.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Chris Broussard strikes me as a guy who'd be ok with a debate and not hide away. Not that he's confrontational, just firm in his beliefs. Some are afraid to really speak their mind because they know they'll be shouted down.

But the problem is this is not about his personal beliefs. This story is not about Chris Broussard.

I will say this. I'll probably shy away from this debate. I know I am not as articulate about ideas as i should be, and i worry I'll come across wrong. I dont want to be seen as anti-gay or homophobic. I just have a hard time articulating the separation between religious and cultural beliefs.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm of Christian faith and have no problem with homosexuality despite what the bible might say.

The part that really rubbed e wrong is when he invoked Westboro. That comparison just doesnt work. Like I said, would he say "if you believe in Allah, then you are clearly a terrorist?" Of course he'd never say that. but because someone might believe homosexuality, you are clearly like Westboro.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
If Outside the Lines wants to have somebody on who advocates the religious belief that homosexuality is wrong, that's fine, but that somebody shouldn't be an ESPN employee.

Especially not one of their top NBA reporters.