Kyyle23

Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
Speaking of that, I've always wondered how much them guys make? Any ideas what a producer makes or someone like Goff getting a show in ATL?

If you are an executive producer of a morning or drive time show that is on 5 days a week, you are probably looking at between $45,000-$55,000 a year. Like any job, experience and talent obviously goes into it, but generally speaking, that is probably what you are looking at.

With Goff going to ATL to host, but for a new start up station, he probably is looking at between $55,000-$65,000.

Someone like Mac or Bernstein is making upwards of $150,000 a year, but that comes with ratings and a lot of time...

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
If you are an executive producer of a morning or drive time show that is on 5 days a week, you are probably looking at between $45,000-$55,000 a year. Like any job, experience and talent obviously goes into it, but generally speaking, that is probably what you are looking at.

With Goff going to ATL to host, but for a new start up station, he probably is looking at between $55,000-$65,000.

Someone like Mac or Bernstein is making upwards of $150,000 a year, but that comes with ratings and a lot of time...

Mac makes like $600k.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Mac makes like $600k.

Not anymore...

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 07:10 PM)
Not anymore...

I guarantee its a lot more than $150k.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I guarantee its a lot more than $150k.

You're right, I under shot it, but I know for a fact he isn't making what he was in 2007-2010. Radio just doesn't have the salary like it used to.

Love B&B, but it's not for everyone. But, when they talk sports, they can talk it at a higher level than anyone else in town.

But let me just say that some of the best parts of the show is when they aren't talking sports at all, and just talking about random stuff. Sometimes those segments are just epic.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
Love B&B, but it's not for everyone. But, when they talk sports, they can talk it at a higher level than anyone else in town.

But let me just say that some of the best parts of the show is when they aren't talking sports at all, and just talking about random stuff. Sometimes those segments are just epic.

Not a huge fan of them in general but I will say listening to them when all the Penn State stuff was going down was the best radio ever.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
They gave a guy a hard time because he argued it's possible that this Michael Jordan illegitimate child may just want his dad to be part of his life and may not be looking for money. Instead of just respecting the caller's point, which was based on his own similar experience, they had to be complete dicks.

I usually enjoy the discussion/banter between the two of them, but I don't like it when they take callers.

Bernstein acts like "If you don't agree with me, you're an idiot." Although plenty of true idiots DO call that program. :lol:

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Sirius/XM radio is the only way to go.

yup. I got it for Christmas with a $50 gift card so I signed up for 3 months. With taxes and what not I still had to shell out $30 after using the gift card. So I wasnt too happy going in but I cant imagine going back to regular radio. I use to listen to ESPN Radio because the local shows suck but even ESPN Radio sucks compared to what XM offers sports wise.

XM is the only thing I have on until a 3pm Tampa sports show comes on.

I can't stand The Score at all. Waddle & Silvy are my favorite and CJH was pretty good. Sure beat the hell out of Boers and Bernstein consistently roasting you or ignoring you like speaking over the point you try to make like they're incoherent alcoholics. The only time I would listen to B&B is when Goff was there to provide insight. If ESPN wants to shake stuff up, pry Goff away and start there.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
yup. I got it for Christmas with a $50 gift card so I signed up for 3 months. With taxes and what not I still had to shell out $30 after using the gift card. So I wasnt too happy going in but I cant imagine going back to regular radio. I use to listen to ESPN Radio because the local shows suck but even ESPN Radio sucks compared to what XM offers sports wise.

XM is the only thing I have on until a 3pm Tampa sports show comes on.

I just use the ESPN Radio app and go from there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
With an Ipod, I haven't been able to convince myself to pay for radio.

It's not so much radio as it is the books, old time shows and comedy shows. When you are in the car 3-4 hours a day you need variety.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)

Agree. They are at their best when the teams are at their worst.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 09:13 PM)

Agree. They are at their best when the teams are at their worst.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
listen to a mix between MJH and B&B

that's basically what i do.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
This hasn't been possible for several years?

switch around between AM 1000 and 670? it is still possible. i did it yesterday.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
switch around between AM 1000 and 670? it is still possible. i did it yesterday.

How's the Delorean driving these days?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
How's the Delorean driving these days?

oh, i don't drive one of those. please see 'basically', as to mean not exactly but close. i don't have a strong preference from Mac to Carmen.

Edited by mr_genius

Perfect example of Bernstein was yesterday at the end off the show when they were talking to Shuster about Crawford backing up emery. Concussions are Bernstein's new Penn state. Crawford did not sustain a concussion yet Bernstein would not let it go. The whole segment was him whining. Crawford left the game and is now back that's it.

Neither guy is well versed in hockey so the talk is limited. Instead we get to be told how dumb we are if we do not realize how simply fantastic the NBA is.

Nothing on Mully and Hanley? Mully talks over Hanley sometimes (more lately) but I actually like those two together and are my go to before Waddle and Silvy. (Full disclosure: I went to high school with Silvy and we still occasionally talk, but that's not why I like them).

Harry was definitely the weakest link...couldn't take a joke and I don't think he and Jurko really had any chemistry.

Speigel said today it looks like Waddle and Silvy will be moving up a slot (with Carmen and Jurko, or one of the two), and Cowherd will be syndicated in their midday slot.

Speigel said it best, lazy ESPN programming decision

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Speigel said today it looks like Waddle and Silvy will be moving up a slot (with Carmen and Jurko, or one of the two), and Cowherd will be syndicated in their midday slot.

Speigel said it best, lazy ESPN programming decision

What? Speigel slamming the competition. No way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
What? Speigel slamming the competition. No way.

Still, syndicating a midday slot is extremely lazy programming in a top market