Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
Bernstein called out Wittenmeyer and Telander and basically everyone at the Sun-Times for being stupid about the Cubs. Bernstein was 100% correct too. The SunTimes doesn't listen when the Cubs speak. They are like the voice of the meatball fan. Wittenmeyer wrote an article about how Kris Bryant would leave the Cubs in 6 years because he's mad that they are jerking him around. Bernstein was saying that is totally false and that Bryant is on board with the way the Cubs have handled the situation. Bernstein was asking if there were any quotes from Bryant to backup Gordon's claims and of course there aren't any. Wittenmeyer is a goof.

I don't know, Bernstein seems to really like the cubs plan more than anyone. He almost wants to be he guy to sit back and say, see I told you they were right.

ha, its true canofcorn. Its somewhat admirable that when he finds a cause that he throws himself fully behind it, but in situations like this it looks like another one of their bully jobs where they rip on other journalists from afar.

Bernstein called out Wittenmeyer and Telander and basically everyone at the Sun-Times for being stupid about the Cubs. Bernstein was 100% correct too. The SunTimes doesn't listen when the Cubs speak. They are like the voice of the meatball fan. Wittenmeyer wrote an article about how Kris Bryant would leave the Cubs in 6 years because he's mad that they are jerking him around. Bernstein was saying that is totally false and that Bryant is on board with the way the Cubs have handled the situation. Bernstein was asking if there were any quotes from Bryant to backup Gordon's claims and of course there aren't any. Wittenmeyer is a goof.

not according to wittenmeyer. he said on the radio that he was only reporting what he was told. I have not doubt it was a "don't quote me on this directly." because at this stage of his career why would he. Also who is Bryant's agent? Boras. Boras was quoted as saying that the Cubs were wrong not to bring Bryant up. Boras frequently works behind the scenes this way. Unless bernstein has sources that contradict this, I would believe that Boras leaked it to him just to show his displeasure with the Cubs. I have no doubt that Boras will hold this grudge.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
I don't know, Bernstein seems to really like the cubs plan more than anyone. He almost wants to be he guy to sit back and say, see I told you they were right.

True. Bernstein also said that there is no guarantee that the plan is going to work. The Cubs have been very upfront about what they are doing. The writers at the ST ask questions that have already been answered. If you are one of those people that hates the plan and the way they have gone about their business, then you shouldn't be following Kris Bryant throughout the minor leagues and cheering on all these kids. It's a contradiction. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some people have stupid opinions. Spending money on free agents in a race to 81 wins is f***ing stupid if you are at the same time trying to infiltrate your system with young talent. Everyone else understands for the most part. The Sun Times is taking this contrarian viewpoint for whatever reason. Not sure why.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
He said that Wittenmeyer made up a story out of whole cloth.

Basically what it comes down to is Bernstein fully believes in Theos plan and thinks it is infallible, and he ridicules anyone that has the gall to question it. Him and Boers have been going after Wittenmeyer, Telander and Haugh pretty much every day

Do this for five hours, and you have a show.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
not according to wittenmeyer. he said on the radio that he was only reporting what he was told. I have not doubt it was a "don't quote me on this directly." because at this stage of his career why would he. Also who is Bryant's agent? Boras. Boras was quoted as saying that the Cubs were wrong not to bring Bryant up. Boras frequently works behind the scenes this way. Unless bernstein has sources that contradict this, I would believe that Boras leaked it to him just to show his displeasure with the Cubs. I have no doubt that Boras will hold this grudge.

It's bulls*** though. If Kris Bryant is awesome he will be on the Cubs for 6 years. If they offer the most $$ at the end of those 6 years, he will remain a Chicago Cub. He's not going to go somewhere else 6 years from now because he has a feeling that he was slighted. He was never slighted. Your agent is good at his job, sucks the most $$ out of teams, and refuses to sign contract extensions. Bryant chose that agent and because of it he has to wait. Same thing will happen with Rodon and the White Sox. When Rodon doesn't break camp with the team, Boras will be on record saying that he should be on the White Sox and blah blah. Just wait. It's coming.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
True. Bernstein also said that there is no guarantee that the plan is going to work. The Cubs have been very upfront about what they are doing. The writers at the ST ask questions that have already been answered. If you are one of those people that hates the plan and the way they have gone about their business, then you shouldn't be following Kris Bryant throughout the minor leagues and cheering on all these kids. It's a contradiction. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some people have stupid opinions. Spending money on free agents in a race to 81 wins is f***ing stupid if you are at the same time trying to infiltrate your system with young talent. Everyone else understands for the most part. The Sun Times is taking this contrarian viewpoint for whatever reason. Not sure why.

To sell newspapers.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)

Because not everyone can buy it hook line and sinker. There are a ton of variables in this plan, and a lot of people have elevated the cubs prospect core as 100 percent cant miss prospects. Javier Baez was supposed to signal the beginning of the next phase, and he came up and peed down his leg, and caused a lot of people to slow down the hype train a bit.

There is a good chance this team will be very good in a few years, but right now they are banking on a lot of prospects turning into gold. We all know prospects arent a sure thing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
Well they aren't doing a very good job of that either though. That Saturday Sun-Times is like the size of a McDonald's napkin.

Their shtick is sensationalism, not substance. You get substance from the Tribune, and they know they can't compete with them there. It is why they hire more of the shockjock kind of writers, versus someone with a pulse.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
Because not everyone can buy it hook line and sinker. There are a ton of variables in this plan, and a lot of people have elevated the cubs prospect core as 100 percent cant miss prospects. Javier Baez was supposed to signal the beginning of the next phase, and he came up and peed down his leg, and caused a lot of people to slow down the hype train a bit.

There is a good chance this team will be very good in a few years, but right now they are banking on a lot of prospects turning into gold. We all know prospects arent a sure thing.

I don't think the Cubs are banking on a lot of prospects turning into gold. Their fans are. Some will be good. Some will be bad. A couple will probably be really really good. Some of them will be traded and some will be held on to for too long. The point is that they will have a ton of flexibility and will be able to deal from an area of strength while playing in a major market that won't have the typical payroll restraints of other teams that are rebuilding. 7 of the top 100 will not all be good ML players. But I'd rather have 7 of the top 100 prospects in baseball than not have them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
I don't think the Cubs are banking on a lot of prospects turning into gold. Their fans are. Some will be good. Some will be bad. A couple will probably be really really good. Some of them will be traded and some will be held on to for too long. The point is that they will have a ton of flexibility and will be able to deal from an area of strength while playing in a major market that won't have the typical payroll restraints of other teams that are rebuilding. 7 of the top 100 will not all be good ML players. But I'd rather have 7 of the top 100 prospects in baseball than not have them.

Well that and 464 losses over a 5 year period.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Well that and 464 losses over a 5 year period.

Okay great. What's the difference between 464 losses over a 5 year period and filling in gaps to "Compete" while falling short of the playoffs? I'd rather have the losses and everything that comes with it: higher draft pick, more bonus pools both internationally and in the amateur draft, higher waiver priority during the season, payroll flexibility).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)
Okay great. What's the difference between 464 losses over a 5 year period and filling in gaps to "Compete" while falling short of the playoffs? I'd rather have the losses and everything that comes with it: higher draft pick, more bonus pools both internationally and in the amateur draft, higher waiver priority during the season, payroll flexibility).

Then you have to be a Cub fan, because the Sox wouldn't have a fan base left.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)

Here is the thing, there is no guarantee that they are going to win.

Also for the last four years their fans have not had any glimmer of hope to watch since day one.

Sorry but I am fine with an 82 win team that I enjoy watching win from time to time that is in the playoff conversation.

The White Sox winning a world series does nothing to make my life better. Each day and each victory stand alone as giving me something enjoyable to do that day. I do not make or lose money on their victories my life is no better when they win or lose. What it does is gives me enjoyment in those small windows.

Closing that window for 5 years with the hopes it will open......ok.

Dan Bernstein makes it sound like everything is black and white. If you are not the champion you wasted a season watching. I don't agree with that. If the White Sox played last night and won, is your life any different thant if they lost 100 games.

Maybe my opinion of sports is way out of line. I enjoyed the Blackhawks run last year but at this point in time last year and 2002 mean nothing in the grand scheme of my life. Passing time for three hours enjoying it from time to time is all I care about.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
It's bulls*** though. If Kris Bryant is awesome he will be on the Cubs for 6 years. If they offer the most $$ at the end of those 6 years, he will remain a Chicago Cub. He's not going to go somewhere else 6 years from now because he has a feeling that he was slighted. He was never slighted. Your agent is good at his job, sucks the most $$ out of teams, and refuses to sign contract extensions. Bryant chose that agent and because of it he has to wait. Same thing will happen with Rodon and the White Sox. When Rodon doesn't break camp with the team, Boras will be on record saying that he should be on the White Sox and blah blah. Just wait. It's coming.

Sure he was, in the checkbook. By keeping him down they are extending his time before free agency. This Boras knows and will use ity against them come negotiation time.

the difference between between Rodon and Bryant is Bryant has proven himself in the minors. Rodon has not. He only pitched a few games. If he leads the minors in wins or ERA or whatever for the entire year next year and the Sox don't call him up, then you have a case. Not mention the innings limit for this year and next.

rodon walked 4.7 batters/ 9 innings. In the MLB that may get him in trouble. He has things to work on. I don't see much that Bryant needed to work on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
Then you have to be a Cub fan, because the Sox wouldn't have a fan base left.

Where did I say in here that I thought it would be a good idea for the White Sox? The White Sox could never rebuild that way. Never said they could.

There is absolutely no way that Bryant is "on board" with the Cubs delaying his service time clock and potentially costing him money. Especially after he has destroyed all minor league pitching. He wants to be in the majors now and thinks he should be. Is he gonna come out and say that publicly? Of course not.

Now if Wittenmeyer said that Bryant will hold this against the Cubs 6 years from now, then he is also an idiot. I think you have said this later in the thread, but 6 years from now, Bryant will sign with whatever team offers him x + 1 dollars, if it is the Cubs or not.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
There is absolutely no way that Bryant is "on board" with the Cubs delaying his service time clock and potentially costing him money. Especially after he has destroyed all minor league pitching. He wants to be in the majors now and thinks he should be. Is he gonna come out and say that publicly? Of course not.

Now if Wittenmeyer said that Bryant will hold this against the Cubs 6 years from now, then he is also an idiot. I think you have said this later in the thread, but 6 years from now, Bryant will sign with whatever team offers him x + 1 dollars, if it is the Cubs or not.

That's fair. I think when you hire Boras though, the team has to do everything possible to suck every ounce out of service time. Players that sign with him should know that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
Sure he was, in the checkbook. By keeping him down they are extending his time before free agency. This Boras knows and will use ity against them come negotiation time.

the difference between between Rodon and Bryant is Bryant has proven himself in the minors. Rodon has not. He only pitched a few games. If he leads the minors in wins or ERA or whatever for the entire year next year and the Sox don't call him up, then you have a case. Not mention the innings limit for this year and next.

rodon walked 4.7 batters/ 9 innings. In the MLB that may get him in trouble. He has things to work on. I don't see much that Bryant needed to work on.

The difference between him and Rodon is Rodon would have to spend all of next season in the minors and potentially not be called up in 2016.

The cubs have cost Bryant one year of free agency already which could be upwards of $20M down the road.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
The difference between him and Rodon is Rodon would have to spend all of next season in the minors and potentially not be called up in 2016.

The cubs have cost Bryant one year of free agency already which could be upwards of $20M down the road.

Very true. Rodon will most likely be up by June.

I found it funny that Bernstein railed on Wittenmeyer trusting his source, but constantly quotes "My guy". If he wants to force Wittenmeyer to reveal his source to verify the quotes, then he should do the same thing.

I dont know that Bryant will be using this past year as a reason for not re-signing with the cubs 6 years from now, but it is totally plausible that he would be pissed at not being called up this season after the season he had in the minors and end up angry at the Cubs for not calling him up.