Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
Ehh. Nothing is going to happen to either of them. I'd have that same conversation with a buddy. I'm pretty surprised they put it on twitter though. It seems Spiegel's original point was that she's bad at her job which is true. Weird that it went that direction.

For someone who gets on his soap box about racism, and sexual discrimination, and the like... he's a much more sexist than you'd think.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
For someone who gets on his soap box about racism, and sexual discrimination, and the like... he's a much more sexist than you'd think.

That's my biggest gripe with it all. Bernstein acts that he is holier than thou without sin. And here he is objectifying women.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Spiegel is addressing it right now, he seems pretty apologetic and regretful. Should be interesting to see if Bernstein does the same at 1, I doubt it

Spiegel clearly never wanted or meant to go down the boobs route. Bernstein kept pushing in that direction over and over.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Spiegel is addressing it right now, he seems pretty apologetic and regretful. Should be interesting to see if Bernstein does the same at 1, I doubt it

It's going viral, so CBS may make him apologize for it. It popped on my Twitter feed because a Canadian hockey writer I follow RT'ed it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
Bernstein has gone down this road with sideline reporters many times--namely Erin Andrews.

My feeling is he'll do a twitter apology, make quick mention of it on air, and not go down this road again. No suspension or firing.

At least it wasn't Boers.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
Ehh. Nothing is going to happen to either of them. I'd have that same conversation with a buddy. I'm pretty surprised they put it on twitter though. It seems Spiegel's original point was that she's bad at her job which is true. Weird that it went that direction.

Bad is an understatement. I cringe when shes on SportsNet Central.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
...this is really being made into a thing? That's really reaching.

When someone who is in sports media, publicly sexually objectifies a peer, you know it'll be a story.

http://deadspin.com/chicago-sports-radio-g...s-re-1693807995

Deadspin in on it now.

In the past I definitely think there's been reaches to make stories out of something, I don't think that's the case with Bernstein's comments. Spiegel's I have zero issue with, if he thinks she's not good at her job, he's in the right to say it.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
http://deadspin.com/chicago-sports-radio-g...s-re-1693807995

Deadspin in on it now.

In the past I definitely think there's been reaches to make stories out of something, I don't think that's the case with Bernstein's comments. Spiegel's I have zero issue with, if he thinks she's not good at her job, he's in the right to say it.

Really though, Spiegel is in the same business, and appears on Kaplan's show on CSN. As a professional, he really shouldn't be sharing his thought on a peer on social media especially since it isn't some controversy that occured. What he thinks is poor job performance shouldn't be shared with the world. That can only get you in trouble. Besides, his apology was weak. He is sorry he offended her but started the whole thing off talking about how bad she is. If you weren't intending to offend someone, why would you go out to twitter and mention how bad someone is at their job?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
When someone who is in sports media, publicly sexually objectifies a peer, you know it'll be a story.

And it should be.

This isn't a conversation between buddies at the bar. It's on Twitter to thousands of followers and potentially millions who could see it if it spreads. You're on a stage, just like on the radio, and yeah it is absolutely wrong he did that.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
I still for the life of me do not see what good has ever coming from Twitter. Nothing.

Twitter is actually pretty fantastic for some things, especially sports. A lot more good info out there than there are disasters like this.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Not a good day for Bernsie and Spiegel, but mostly Bernsie.

https://twitter.com/RegressedPDO/status/580933766488715264

I at least have respect for Spiegel and going back to McNeal because they were never too good to admit their were wrong, and they didn't act better than everyone else.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Twitter is actually pretty fantastic for some things, especially sports. A lot more good info out there than there are disasters like this.

Absolutely. It also exposes douchebags like this too. That's a positive imo.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
I still for the life of me do not see what good has ever coming from Twitter. Nothing.

Nothing really good comes from social media especially when out relationships hit you up.

I love it for sports news, rumors, trades

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
I love it for sports news, rumors, trades

To me the rumors and trades seemed to be a race to be first and it ends up being misinformation or wrong. Personally I found it to be more work than it was worth and became to time consuming with pointless crap of self absorbent assclowns