Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
The mistakes are so awful at this point. While there is a lot of bad luck, baseball on the south side has been rough for some time and the Score is the White Sox network, so they're forced to talk about it.

Conversations on how bad Hawk is and going on about the idiotic things he says as if they were a news network and Hawk was misrepresenting the American position on Iran.

The White Sox were projected to win around 78 games that is about where they will end up.

The issue is that the cubs literally can do no wrong. It has become fan boy network for the cubs and after losing the White Sox it has gotten worse.

Has anyone noticed that the White Sox post game is much shorter now.

So, now Maddon is a genius because he doesn't make his team practice? It really does seem like the media goes out of it's way to make Maddon seem like some great genius. I think he's a good manager but it's not like he's revolutionizing the game of baseball by wearing pajamas on planes and having magicians in the clubhouse

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Sep 2, 2015 -> 11:51 PM)
So, now Maddon is a genius because he doesn't make his team practice? It really does seem like the media goes out of it's way to make Maddon seem like some great genius. I think he's a good manager but it's not like he's revolutionizing the game of baseball by wearing pajamas on planes and having magicians in the clubhouse

Maddon was absolutely terrible in this Reds series.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
David Kaplan is leaving WGN for ESPN 1000. Would imagine he'll get the midday slot?

What am I missing with him? He's on everything in Comcast and now this. I don't even care if he's a Cubs homer, he's just boring to me.

• 2 weeks later...

more of a general sports media thing, but how do you guys feel about football media embracing gambling so much the past two years.

It was crazy to me watching ESPN and seeing how many references to gambling lines, draft kings and even a segment talking about the worst gambling "beats" of the weekend.

I find the occasional "oh the last touchdown swung this much money" type stories entertaining, but I found the segment showing sports clips and laughing how it changed from the under to the over last minute kind of weird. It's a sports show, who cares that someone made a bad guess?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
more of a general sports media thing, but how do you guys feel about football media embracing gambling so much the past two years.

It was crazy to me watching ESPN and seeing how many references to gambling lines, draft kings and even a segment talking about the worst gambling "beats" of the weekend.

I find the occasional "oh the last touchdown swung this much money" type stories entertaining, but I found the segment showing sports clips and laughing how it changed from the under to the over last minute kind of weird. It's a sports show, who cares that someone made a bad guess?

I don't feel like it's all that different to me. As far as I can remember newspapers have been giving the betting lines from some source every day during the week and sports radio has talked about favorites and betting techniques as long as I can remember. If there's a difference maybe it's just how much money is now being poured into fantasy sports, but fantasy has been running wild anyway the last few eyars.

Well espn bought 20% of draft kings so that's a major reasoning. Yahoo bought up fanduel too which was 1st place among DFS before espn came along with their mega marketing push. Now I assume well see a massive push by yahoo as well.

With DFS surviving the court system, there's going to be pushes to legalize regular gambling. This is just the media giants getting in front of that since they will be the first ones out there with sites of their own. They want it legalized. Acceptance by the mainstream is the first step.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
As an aside, it's a total joke that online Fantasy football is legal but online poker isn't. No substantial difference in the amount of skill vs luck involved.

There's a lot of skill involved in poker.

You know what else is legal and takes even more skill?? The lottery.

Can't play that online though, at least not in any state I'm aware of. Plenty of games of chance are legal in person, but the rationale in banning online poker was the level of luck vs skill involved.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
Can't play that online though, at least not in any state I'm aware of. Plenty of games of chance are legal in person, but the rationale in banning online poker was the level of luck vs skill involved.

https://www.myillinoislottery.com/en-us/ext...3624.1442509256

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
As an aside, it's a total joke that online Fantasy football is legal but online poker isn't. No substantial difference in the amount of skill vs luck involved.

can't believe it has been 4 years since black friday in the poker world... :(

it's amazing the loopholes things fall into. kids are gambling on teams playing against each other in videogames nowadays.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...ambling-problem

• 4 weeks later...