Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
Wow, didn't realize that. In Indiana, not only can you not buy lottery tickets online, you can't use a credit card to buy them. Cash or debit only (though there are places that break that rule).

Don't think you can buy lotto tickets with credit anywhere

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
Is that Dave Kaplan getting an autograph from the baseball commish?

https://twitter.com/CSNCubs/status/654015704748957696

Sure looks like he could be signing for anyone in the crowd and just be in the middle of being interviewed or chatting with the orange one.

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to Chocago sports podcasts sometimes when I'm at work, and here's a summary of what I heard this week:

I downloaded the waddle and Silvy show from Tuesday (on location with Urlacher). Kaplan, Silvy & Jesse Rodgers were all pretty confident that the Cubs would win game 3. Waddle's assessment of Schwarber in the outfield was that he isn't as bad as everyone says.

Silvy is upset that Sox fans were not rooting for the Cubs. He says that he was pulling for the Sox in2005. I'd love to hear those shows so I could verify that myself.

On the score, listening to Bruce Levine after the series was comical. He's about as bad as the worst dumb caller when it comes to possible trades. According to him, Solef is an AL player because he's prone to injuries. Castro is a guy that a few teams really want and he can be a good SS. Schwarber is a really hard worker, so he'll improve in the field wherever that play him. The Cubs will target Shark (who Levine has a total stiffy for) because he will be much less expensive than some other guys out there. I heard him on two different shows (I listen to the score interviews podcast), and he was in full fanboy mode.

I've managed to avoid mocking my Cub fan friends, but I'm so happy they lost because of all the douchebaggery in the media.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
I listen to Chocago sports podcasts sometimes when I'm at work, and here's a summary of what I heard this week:

I downloaded the waddle and Silvy show from Tuesday (on location with Urlacher). Kaplan, Silvy & Jesse Rodgers were all pretty confident that the Cubs would win game 3. Waddle's assessment of Schwarber in the outfield was that he isn't as bad as everyone says.

Silvy is upset that Sox fans were not rooting for the Cubs. He says that he was pulling for the Sox in2005. I'd love to hear those shows so I could verify that myself.

On the score, listening to Bruce Levine after the series was comical. He's about as bad as the worst dumb caller when it comes to possible trades. According to him, Solef is an AL player because he's prone to injuries. Castro is a guy that a few teams really want and he can be a good SS. Schwarber is a really hard worker, so he'll improve in the field wherever that play him. The Cubs will target Shark (who Levine has a total stiffy for) because he will be much less expensive than some other guys out there. I heard him on two different shows (I listen to the score interviews podcast), and he was in full fanboy mode.

I've managed to avoid mocking my Cub fan friends, but I'm so happy they lost because of all the douchebaggery in the media.

Levine is and always has been in the tank for the Cubs.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)

I still remembered when I pissed off Waddle and Silvy on Facebook by calling out their interview methods.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)

Dunno about you guys, but that was on my daily list of websites to go to, usually multiple times in the day. Love Barnwell/Mays, love Zach Lowe, love Jalen/Jacoby (though that'll probably continue since they're on the radio).

ESPN looks so terrible with all this.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Dunno about you guys, but that was on my list of daily list of website to go to, usually multiple times in the day. Loved Barnwell/Mays, love Zach Lowe, love Jalen/Jacoby (though that'll probably continue since they're on the radio).

ESPN looks so terrible with all this.

Same and add Greenwald, Morris and Katie Baker when she actually wrote about hockey.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Honestly Grantlands biggest accomplishment is that I could actually name almost all of their writers and would read an article by them. Did an amazing job at promoting their talent.

Very true. Credit Simmons. He put a heck of a staff together there.

Greenwald was maybe my least favorite writer there. Everything he did seemed like it was written by an annoying parody of a TV critic. So pretentious.

Everything else I went there to read was great, their baseball and basketball stuff in particular. It seems like the people who were left were not notified beforehand and found out on Twitter like the rest of us. Not like there weren't obvious signs of doom, but that's still pretty s***ty. Most of them, luckily, should have no trouble finding work.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Well apparently they are all still under contract. I'm guessing Lowe/Keri will move to insider content.

Seems like sports people will stay, deadspin has an article indicating ESPN is getting out of the pop culture business. Ugly battle between Simmons and ESPN execs...

http://deadspin.com/how-grantland-died-1739682579

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
They make the $$$$$$

Disney is requiring them to shave off hundreds of millions over the next few years. Despite record revenues.

The fact that Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith make the money makes me very, very sad.

I'll miss Grantland. It was an easy one stop for both pop culture and sports. Like you Jenks, I went there multiple times a day.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
They make the $$$$$$

Disney is requiring them to shave off hundreds of millions over the next few years. Despite record revenues.

Right, but the price of contracts with leagues is getting too steep for Disney to handle.