Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 11, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
So it's not Chicago Tribune LIVE anymore?

They rebooted it to Sports Talk Live! It's funny after the reboot guests would come on and say Gratz on the new show Kap! lol

I guess they're trying to have more regulars, not that the old format didn't have regulars. Telander and Morrissey seem to always be booked on Mondays.

They had Tim Doyle on recently and he accused Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, and Barkley all of being on steroids. I've never seen a panel get so silent, nobody wanted to touch that comment with a 10 foot pole. The funny thing was he wouldn't give up on it, and ended repeating it as everybody sat around stone faced.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
They rebooted it to Sports Talk Live! It's funny after the reboot guests would come on and say Gratz on the new show Kap! lol

I guess they're trying to have more regulars, not that the old format didn't have regulars. Telander and Morrissey seem to always be booked on Mondays.

They had Tim Doyle on recently and he accused Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, and Barkley all of being on steroids. I've never seen a panel get so silent, nobody wanted to touch that comment with a 10 foot pole. The funny thing was he wouldn't give up on it, and ended repeating it as everybody sat around stone faced.

I think the difference is it isn't only trib guests

Chicago radio shuffle: Cowherd show to air in morning on ESPN 1000; Waddle-Silvy to afternoons

Tom Waddle and Mark Silverman are moving from mid-morning to the 2-6 p.m. afternoon slot. Carmen DeFalco and John Jurkovic will shift to the 10 a.m.-1 p.m. slot.

The new addition will be an hour of Cowherd’s national ESPN show. It will air from 9-10 a.m. in Chicago.

The changes are effective April 1.

I think they meant 10-2, not 10-1. Or, 1-6, not 2-6.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)

I believe they are right. 1-2 is already SVP. So they're cutting Carmen and Jurko down, is that a sign they're half way out the door already?

And weekdays between 9-10 is now a choice between Mac and Cowherd? That's a rough choice.

I have to admit, I don't normally listen to Cowherd, but I hear the short segments they play on the internet during commercials for Waddle and Silvy, and I think it is some of the dumbest radio I've heard.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
I believe they are right. 1-2 is already SVP. So they're cutting Carmen and Jurko down, is that a sign they're half way out the door already?

And weekdays between 9-10 is now a choice between Mac and Cowherd? That's a rough choice.

I have to admit, I don't normally listen to Cowherd, but I hear the short segments they play on the internet during commercials for Waddle and Silvy, and I think it is some of the dumbest radio I've heard.

Oh, huh. Tells you how often I listen to 1000, i didnt even know Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo had a show! lol

Yea, i think we know see the long term plan...

ESPN National until 2pm, then local from 2pm-10pm.

Carmen DeFalco and John Jurkovic get shown the door when contracts expire.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

From ESPN

ESPN 1000, which is celebrating its 15th anniversary, announced a revamped lineup Tuesday with "The Waddle & Silvy Show" moving to afternoons and "The Carmen & Jurko Show" switching to middays.

The moves will take effect April 1.

Carmen DeFalco and John "Jurko" Jurkovic will move to the 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (CT) slot, leading into Tom Waddle and Marc "Silvy" Silverman from 2 to 6.

So, 10-2 and 2-6. SVP is going.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
Oh, huh. Tells you how often I listen to 1000, i didnt even know Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo had a show! lol

Yea, i think we know see the long term plan...

ESPN National until 2pm, then local from 2pm-10pm.

Carmen DeFalco and John Jurkovic get shown the door when contracts expire.

In my book this would be a good thing. Have the SCORE bring in DeFalco and team him with Holmes in the evenings. I'd listen to those 2 every night.

Carmen DeFalco and John "Jurko" Jurkovic will move to the 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (CT) slot.

Wow. I can't believe they're letting this go on without adding anyone or anything else- even something inanimate like a houseplant- in an attempt to dampen/soften the baddity that will be attacking ears all over Chicagoland in the 10-2 slot.

What an awful, awful decision that was to let Mac go. Glad they did, though, because Spiegel is good at what he does and wouldn't have been afforded the opportunity on The Score had they not.

But seriously, awful. Fireable offense.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)

lol, I don't even know what to think.

It sounds like Kendall instigated the physical part of the confrontation, but the writer was careful not to make that clear, even though he saw it. Probably doesn't want to get anyone in trouble if he can help it.

Never heard of the writer. Feels like he couldn't wait to report this.

I actually like Doyle. Think he knows his stuff and if either sports radio channel was looking for a new voice, he'd fit in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
Never heard of the writer. Feels like he couldn't wait to report this.

I actually like Doyle. Think he knows his stuff and if either sports radio channel was looking for a new voice, he'd fit in.

Probably because he was standing right there when it happened, lol.

This is not good for Gill. Even if he didnt instigate the physical confrontation(though it sounds like he did), he instigated the confrontation.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
So their solution is to take the one show on their station people listen to (Waddle & Silvy) and put them up against the most popular show in town. Brilliant.

I will take Waddle/Silvy over Boers/Bernstein. But when Boers isn't on and it's Bernstein/Holmes, I would take that over Waddle/Silvy. So many times with B&B, it might as well just be Bernstein.

I was surprised to see Kendall's analysis. He was one of the few to get it wrong. I missed the show, would have liked to see what Doyle said. I like Mark and Kendall pre+post Bulls games. Not sure who else they'd get in there. Doyle always struck me as kind of a goofball.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
I will take Waddle/Silvy over Boers/Bernstein. But when Boers isn't on and it's Bernstein/Holmes, I would take that over Waddle/Silvy. So many times with B&B, it might as well just be Bernstein.

I have no doubt that 670 is waiting for Boers to retire so they can put Bernstein and Holmes together permanently. it's a damn good show.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
I have no doubt that 670 is waiting for Boers to retire so they can put Bernstein and Holmes together permanently. it's a damn good show.

The things about Holmes with Bernstein that I love:

1) Holmes is not afraid to disagree with Bernstein whereas Boers just parrots whatever Bernstein says.

2) Bernstein is less of a douschebag when Holmes is on.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)

1) Holmes is not afraid to disagree with Bernstein whereas Boers just parrots whatever Bernstein says.

I agree and I've absolutely noticed #2 a lot. It's a completely different sound

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)

It's true that Boers probably doesn't think it's worth the effort at this point in his career to disagree with Bernstein (path of least resistance etc.), but Holmes is the most flagrant offender of parroting Bernstein on that station. If he does have a difference of opinion with Berns, he defends his position timidly- almost to the point of being apologetic about it. It is also true, however, that Bernstein is more tolerant of the show's callers when Loho sits in for Boers.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
It's true that Boers probably doesn't think it's worth the effort at this point in his career to disagree with Bernstein (path of least resistance etc.), but Holmes is the most flagrant offender of parroting Bernstein on that station. If he does have a difference of opinion with Berns, he defends his position timidly- almost to the point of being apologetic about it. It is also true, however, that Bernstein is more tolerant of the show's callers when Loho sits in for Boers.

Well, Law Holmes is consistent. He's a polite person. He respects a moron caller's opinion even if it's blatantly wrong, thanks them for the call, and then politely disagrees and explains his position. He's the same way with Bernstein. Sure, it might come off timid, but he's just a nice guy.

I don't doubt that he is, and I've grown to appreciate the contribution his show makes to the program schedule. It wasn't too long ago that I was pretty dismissive in that regard. The one thing I could do without is his creeper act whenever he's got a woman (usually from somewhere in the Chicago media crowd) guesting on his show. Those segments can get pretty uncomfortable to listen to.