Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
I'm old so I don't watch ESPN or MTV.

I watch AMC, History and Discovery.

I am not quite old enough to watch Fox News or CNN unless there is a breaking something.

Maybe my head is a little in the sand but I like it there and have enough to worry about getting through the day and trying to find Charlie Tilson.

You may want to watch 48 Hours mystery for that one

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Only listened because I was curious, but I actually enjoyed Mac's first podcast. He just rants for 40 minutes but I'll keep listening. He'll have guests and stuff on. I kind of like a Chicago sports show that is less than an hour long.

I've heard mixed reviews. I don't podcast, but maybe I should start... I need my Mac fix. :)

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Linda Cohn says ESPN has gotten too political. She was suspended.

She's right. For many people, sports and politics are like oil and water. ESPN is losing viewers in droves, and they're too STUPID to figure out why. I haven't watched SportsCenter (or ANY non-sporting event on that network) in over 20 years.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
I've heard mixed reviews. I don't podcast, but maybe I should start... I need my Mac fix. :)

She's right. For many people, sports and politics are like oil and water. ESPN is losing viewers in droves, and they're too STUPID to figure out why. I haven't watched SportsCenter (or ANY non-sporting event on that network) in over 20 years.

There is this history of those in the entertainment industry that go political have ended a career and keep spewing nonsense just to let you know they exist.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
I'm old so I don't watch ESPN or MTV.

I watch AMC, History and Discovery.

I am not quite old enough to watch Fox News or CNN unless there is a breaking something.

Maybe my head is a little in the sand but I like it there and have enough to worry about getting through the day and trying to find Charlie Tilson.

Is there history on the History Channel anymore? Most educational channels have turned into reality TV.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 10:26 PM)
There is this history of those in the entertainment industry that go political have ended a career and keep spewing nonsense just to let you know they exist.

Keith Olbermann, to his credit, always kept his political views on the down low when he hosted SC.

Oprah stayed out of politics for the first 15-20 years of her show as she built her empire. It's no coincidence that her ratings went straight down the crapper as soon as she went all in for Obama.

Johnny Carson used to advise entertainers to not go partisan, because once you do you risk alienating half of your audience.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)

For me, the worst part is the first segment of every show. It's basically Mac reading something he wrote. I'm not sure if it's his delivery or the subject material, but it is a really awkward reading. Very stiff.

When he interviews people - old friends like North, Jurko and Boers - it's way looser and pretty entertaining.

I could do without the music stuff because it's Mac at his most pretentious. Which is saying something. A good example is one of the early shows he was talking about Neil Peart from Rush. He makes sure to inform the audience that his last name is pronounced "Peer-t." Not "Purt" as is almost always said. Literally, the next time he says it, he pronounces it Purt.

Oh well, I've been a fan of Mac since the early Heavy Fuel Crew days, and it's nice to hear him here. It's not great, but for an out of towner, it's a bite sized piece of Chicago sports radio that's worth checking out.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
According to his facebook page he is now selling Fords as well.

That pretty much answers my question. Podcasting doesn't pay the bills.

For your viewing pleasure, here are the two commercials Mac made for Webb Ford back in the 90s.

These got much airplay on Northwest Indiana cable. I remember them well. :)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
This might surprise some of you guys but Rongey's radio show down here is really good. I enjoy the hell out of it.

He wasn't half bad until he took on that Score mentality of a professional troll. If he dropped that act, he wouldn't be half bad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
He wasn't half bad until he took on that Score mentality of a professional troll. If he dropped that act, he wouldn't be half bad.

I think that's why i enjoy Spiegel and Parkins so much. They aren't super trolls by any stretch. I feel like Bernstein is the only super-troll left, although his opinions are often well thought out.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Oct 8, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
I think that's why i enjoy Spiegel and Parkins so much. They aren't super trolls by any stretch. I feel like Bernstein is the only super-troll left, although his opinions are often well thought out.

Parkins was on McNeil's podcast recently and was really good. He was pretty transparent about his time at 670 so far. He talked about his rough times at the beginning because people there disagreed with him getting the gig. He's been excellent so far in my opinion.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
Parkins was on McNeil's podcast recently and was really good. He was pretty transparent about his time at 670 so far. He talked about his rough times at the beginning because people there disagreed with him getting the gig. He's been excellent so far in my opinion.

There's something about the swearing on podcasts that throws me off a little when the host or guests are radio guys. It seems so unnatural because they have to filter it out on radio. It seems like they force it on podcasts. Parkins is did quite a bit of swearing. I did like his honesty about the culture of Chicago radio, though.

Bruce Wolf was good with McNeil. He was pretty brutal (and correct imo) in assessing Bernstein.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
Benetti did the Mizzou football game this weekend. I enjoyed it. Still keep coming back to the idea that stone is actually bad for him because they seem to think both of their worst tendencies are actually their best.

I'd love to hear him to a game with Hawk and see if having a strong leader in the booth would do something for him.