Sports Media discussion

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s probably a better listen, but not a huge Haugh fan either.  They really should have used it as an opportunity to get some fresh blood in there.

Sports radio seems to shoe a type of nepotism at its finest, minus the actual blood relations.  That's all of radio in this town in reality 

I sometimes listen to mully and hanley on drive to gym in morning or while i'm making breakfast. I realize it's hard for these guys who are up at 3am to keep up with stuff that happened sometimes late the night before. But even so, just find it to be so boring. So many stories about "oh man, remember when we were in new orleans and we went to a bar and oh the drinks were Tall and what we drank like I was drinking all night and we would just go the next bar and the drinks were bigger! oh that was fun"

7 hours ago, Brian said:

I guess the suits missed his stint on The Game. Well, everyone pretty much did.

Well, their boss didnt.  DeCastro is the same guy that made the Game such a rousing success 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

I like McKnight but he's not doing it for me.  The midday show is super weird with no Chemistry.  Should have kept B&G at the midday if they wanted Mac in afternoon drive.

too "radio guy" for me.  too much over pronunciation and dramatic effect in his delivery

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

too "radio guy" for me.  too much over pronunciation and dramatic effect in his delivery

Yeah, when you think about the talent that has gone in and out of that place, the fact that they come up with poor man's Chris Rongey as the midday host is sad.  He seems like a good guy, but he just sounds like White Sox post game all the time.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:41 PM, The Beast said:

I feel for Spiegs, he was not an issue. DeCastro really screwed him, even if he and Goff still have their contracts. His show’s ratings weren’t that bad and I didn’t feel he was too political. McKnight and Bernstein are okay and I can only stand McNeil and Parkins in small doses. I definitely have to go all around the dial to fill my work day and enjoy cross talk at 1:45 on AM 1000 as opposed to 670’s. Bernstein is good in his slot and it’s nice to have crosstalk in the morning, but he would be better on the afternoons where we could hear the meatball Chicago sports fan call in. Hearing some of those idiots call in and argue politics was funny too.

It sucks for Spiegs, but THAT'S THE RADIO BUSINESS.  IMO, Spiegs has no reason to hold a grudge against Mac.  Spiegs is still doing fill-in work at The SCORE.  Last I heard, Goff was on the air in Charlotte, NC.  I think he's finished in Chicago.

Here's a thread about Spiegs...

Mac Meets Spiegel

17 hours ago, Donaldo said:

It sucks for Spiegs, but THAT'S THE RADIO BUSINESS.  IMO, Spiegs has no reason to hold a grudge against Mac.  Spiegs is still doing fill-in work at The SCORE.  Last I heard, Goff was on the air in Charlotte, NC.  I think he's finished in Chicago.

Here's a thread about Spiegs...

Mac Meets Spiegel

One thing I was curious about was if radio contracts are guaranteed. The reason being is that Spiegs and Goff has mentioned they were still on the Score’s payroll and were just in the bullpen. I think what’s got to be tough for Spiegs is that he had been on air in the slot for so long that when he was the odd man out he lost his job.

Unlike Goff, I don’t think Spiegs had lots of political conversation. They did some discussion after the Las Vegas shooting but that was about it. Goff went after some dumb ass callers over some social issues in which he was right to call out bigotry and racism. I understand it is a sports station, but the anthem discussion and racist tweets have a place in a discussion, especially in the age that we live in.

Entercom has 670 and the other stations working in concert to do whatever DeCastro desires. I wish I had a good question to ask about DeCastro to make the hosts uncomfortable about him as their boss, but on the surface McNeil and Parkins are unaffected. I do think Bernstein definitely got neutered with the change, which is too bad because he and Terry were on fire when they were together. At least he is analytical in his older age, Mac seems to have lost a step in his discussions with Parkins. That could also be rust, though.

Where’d you see that about Goff? I thought he was contributing to Fox 32 and working on Sirius XM radio.

Edited by The Beast
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 9:43 PM, The Beast said:

Where’d you see that about Goff? I thought he was contributing to Fox 32 and working on Sirius XM radio.

At the chicagofanatics boards.  It may have just been fill-in work, IDK.

I thought he quit Sirius XM before he left Atlanta?

On 8/16/2018 at 9:08 PM, The Beast said:

His Twitter account and Facebook mentions something about Sirius XM.

He used to do work on the NBA Channel on Sirius XM.

Spiegel and Parkins to reunite!  Spiegs will fill in for Mac next Mon-Wed.

I'm certain sports radio will be more fun once the Sox become relevant again.

12 hours ago, Donaldo said:

He used to do work on the NBA Channel on Sirius XM.

Spiegel and Parkins to reunite!  Spiegs will fill in for Mac next Mon-Wed.

I'm certain sports radio will be more fun once the Sox become relevant again.

Now that is something I can get on board with - Spiegel and Parkins together again! I wish they could get the final track of the Mitch album completed.

I can’t listen to the Score as much wth all of the Cubs talk. When the Sox are relevant again I hope that they get more air time to keep things interesting. I switch back to TuneIn podcasts when it’s just Cubs talk and switch back when they talk football.

2 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

Maybe they can try to increase ad revenue?  The number of writers at the Athletic are remarkable.

That could be right, I honestly have no idea how their income stream should look. But every site and newspaper is dumping writers and they just keep hiring them. Something has to give it seems.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, The Beast said:

Now that is something I can get on board with - Spiegel and Parkins together again! I wish they could get the final track of the Mitch album completed.

I can’t listen to the Score as much wth all of the Cubs talk. When the Sox are relevant again I hope that they get more air time to keep things interesting. I switch back to TuneIn podcasts when it’s just Cubs talk and switch back when they talk football.

The Kopech callup created a lot of White Sox discussion for a day.  It WAS fun!

Here's an interesting read

Goff

24 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

The Kopech callup created a lot of White Sox discussion for a day.  It WAS fun!

Here's an interesting read

Goff

People on that board really hate Spiegs. They comment on his weight, rip on him for his honesty during “Can’t Do It” and overall display hate towards him. He and Parkins sound so much more natural together over McNeil and Parkins. I actually got more sports out of their segments than I do with McNeil.