East Region

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
Isn't it something for his shoulder?

Yeah, he collided with a Temple player on Sunday and hurt his collarbone.

And to whoever asked (Jenks, maybe?) I'd be surprised if either Zeller or Oladipo returned, especially Oladipo. His stock will never be higher, next year is a much deeper draft class and he's already graduating this year. He'd be crazy to stay. I'd be surprised if Zeller stayed, but I suppose it's possible. Education is really important to that family and he hasn't graduated yet (though isn't too far off). He also genuinely loves college, by all accounts. But again, I think he will (and should) go pro.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
Zeller getting dominated, Ferrell out of his league and no one can buy a bucket. Recipe for a disaster.

Zeller was always going to be limited because of Syracuse's length in their zone. The problem was IU had a freshman point guard and no one else that consistently drove the lane. Down double digits with less than 6 minutes left and IU was still just passing the ball around the perimeter wasting time. Watford did drive on one, but even then Syracuse was able to get good help D and make him miss the first attempt before getting a rebound.

Syracuse had better athletes and was able to match up to take Zeller out of the game. It's hard to see how Indiana ever beats Syracuse the way they looked today.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
I really don't believe IU can win a title with Crean as their coach. Total waste of talent this year and with the likely loss of Zeller, they may never get this much again.

The problem is, suppose IU only makes the first or second round the next three years. I'd want him gone. But the fact that he brought the program back (or has come damn close) will probably buy him at least two extra years.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 11:14 PM)
Zeller was always going to be limited because of Syracuse's length in their zone. The problem was IU had a freshman point guard and no one else that consistently drove the lane. Down double digits with less than 6 minutes left and IU was still just passing the ball around the perimeter wasting time. Watford did drive on one, but even then Syracuse was able to get good help D and make him miss the first attempt before getting a rebound.

Syracuse had better athletes and was able to match up to take Zeller out of the game. It's hard to see how Indiana ever beats Syracuse the way they looked today.

I really expected IU to be better on the glass. Syracuse gives up a bunch of offensive rebounds and IU has been one of the better teams attacking the offensive glass this year. They really didn't do s*** though and hit barely any outside shots.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 11:14 PM)
The problem is, suppose IU only makes the first or second round the next three years. I'd want him gone. But the fact that he brought the program back (or has come damn close) will probably buy him at least two extra years.

Yep. Making them relevant again will buy him lots of time.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
It's fun to watch Tom Crean get all worked up and lose.

Kind of hard to plan for Syracuse when they come at you with a zone defense out of nowhere.

lol

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Everything went wrong for Indiana. Couldn't defend, couldn't run any offense, couldn't shoot a 3, couldn't even hit a FT. Miserable.

When you see a game like that, you count that as a mark on the coaching staff. That was as unprepared as you'll ever see any team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
When you see a game like that, you count that as a mark on the coaching staff. That was as unprepared as you'll ever see any team.

No doubt about it. Even my elementary basketball IQ knows you attack a zone in the middle and in the gaps. It took them most of the first half to even start to do that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
No doubt about it. Even my elementary basketball IQ knows you attack a zone in the middle and in the gaps. It took them most of the first half to even start to do that.

The turnovers were the remarkable thing. It's like they didn't even expect guys to be where they were. They averaged 13 TO's a game this year, which isn't very good, but they had that last night in 15 minutes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
The turnovers were the remarkable thing. It's like they didn't even expect guys to be where they were. They averaged 13 TO's a game this year, which isn't very good, but they had that last night in 15 minutes.

They had no idea how to attack the zone, that's why they committed so many TOs.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
Embarrassing. The reputation of the B1G now rests with OSU, MSU, and Michigan

Seriously. This one tilted Big East/B1G bragging rights in favor of the former, apart from the fact that it guarantees them a Final Four spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)

I think Kenny Smith made a good point...it wasn't even just the zone as much as it was Syracuse's length...they are just so much bigger than most teams.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
I think Kenny Smith made a good point...it wasn't even just the zone as much as it was Syracuse's length...they are just so much bigger than most teams.

I have watched a lot of Cuse basketball and I don't think I've seen it that aggressive either. They play that zone incredibly well but I just don't recall ever seeing them be that aggressive with the double teams.

I don't feel quite so bad after yesterday's dismantling of Marquette.

Indiana was just terrible against Syracuse, but give credit to the Orangemen. They were aggressive with their zone and we turned the ball over and missed shots early, which made the play even more tentatively. I blame the players performance much more so than the coaching. They couldn't get the ball into the middle without turning it over and when they did get it in there, Zeller tried to force drives rather than take the 12-15' jumper which he can hit. Part of it is Syracuse's length and height and our two short guards, both 6' at best, while their guards were 6'4 and 6'6. I really thought Watford would need to have big game, thinking at 6'9 he could shoot over the zone. But when you turn it over on almost 30% of your possessions and don't make shots (including FT's) that you've made all year, there isn't much chance to win. Very disappointing end. I was worried about Syracuse being in our bracket well before selection day and will be curious to see who beats them and how they handle the zone.

Good season and a Big Ten Championship, but a very disappointing ending. It just felt like they were disjointed in the last 3rd of the season. They grinded out some nice wins, but it felt like they lost their ability to run and push the pace. Zeller's footwork got worse and he turned the ball over more. As we ran less I think he felt like he had to do more or even take over games. Zeller, aside from a few instances, also became too reliant on driving and drawing fouls rather than using his mid-range game, feet and skills to get shots. Against better, stronger and longer players he just can't power through.

Lastly, my gut is Zeller comes back. I think there is a matter of unfinished business and improving his game that will bring him back. I'm not an NBA guy, but to me Zeller is more of a face up 4 who runs the floor and has a dangerous game from 15-20'. He's not a great rebounder or defender. He's good at both in college, but not great and it only gets harder at the next level. Oladipo on the other hand, will graduate in May and has no business playing another college game.