East Region

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
The 2001 Arizona & 2006 Washington games still annoy me, but its hard to complain after the breaks Illinois got in the 05 Arizona game.

List of the top of my head in NCAA tourney games calls against Illini.

* Dickie Beal no travel call vs Bruce Douglas

* Sean May bull in a china shop imitation vs. Augie

* Sean Higgins climbs Nick Anderson's back

* The traveling no call on the Alabama guard that Douglas was guarding in '85

* Miami knocks ball out of bounds clearly called out on Illini

Edited by Soxfest

This one f***ing hurts. That was a punch to the gut. We f***ing battled. We were gutsy. We gave them all they could handle, played even with them in almost every aspect. We had a great gameplan - bodes well for Groce, and why I think the program is in good hands.

That call at the end sucked. Who knows what happens if we get the ball. I will absolutely not blame it on that, just wish they would have huddled - it appeared the guy at half court was about to point the other way, or at least had a question about it. But the gut punch was the Larkin step back 3. I'll have that shot burned in my memory forever.

Here's why we lost:

Player A: 1-10 from 3

Player B: 2-9 from 3

I hate to make it that simple, but it really comes down to that. We had a bunch of looks in the 2nd half that just didn't go down, a lot of them looked good and rattled out. Minus the last air ball, which I don't know how in the hell that happened.

Never happy to end the season with a loss. But this team, which was dead in the water after last season, and dead in the water halfway through the year, rallied, made the round of 32, and took a (possible) final four team to the ropes.

Things are looking up for the first time in 7 years.

Hats off to the seniors. Way to go out battling, and way to salvage this year after you could have mailed the whole thing in after last year's debacle.

Also props to Egwu. That was one of the gutsiest performances I've seen out of an Illini player in years. He got in there and battled and grabbed rebounds and loose balls like he was an all-american. That was something.

Now it's time to look forward to football season.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
List of the top of my head in NCAA tourney games calls against Illini.

* Dickie Beal no travel call vs Bruce Douglas

* Sean May bull in a china shop imitation vs. Augie

* Sean Higgins climbs Nick Anderson's back

* The traveling no call on the Alabama guard that Douglas was guarding in '85

* Miami knocks ball out of bounds clearly called out on Illini

Damn, dropping it old school. I have no idea what you are talking about with 3 of those games.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:52 PM)
This one f***ing hurts. That was a punch to the gut. We f***ing battled. We were gutsy. We gave them all they could handle, played even with them in almost every aspect. We had a great gameplan - bodes well for Groce, and why I think the program is in good hands.

That call at the end sucked. Who knows what happens if we get the ball. I will absolutely not blame it on that, just wish they would have huddled - it appeared the guy at half court was about to point the other way, or at least had a question about it. But the gut punch was the Larkin step back 3. I'll have that shot burned in my memory forever.

Here's why we lost:

I hate to make it that simple, but it really comes down to that. We had a bunch of looks in the 2nd half that just didn't go down, a lot of them looked good and rattled out. Minus the last air ball, which I don't know how in the hell that happened.

Never happy to end the season with a loss. But this team, which was dead in the water after last season, and dead in the water halfway through the year, rallied, made the round of 32, and took a (possible) final four team to the ropes.

Hats off to the seniors. Way to go out battling, and way to salvage this year after you could have mailed the whole thing in after last year's debacle.

Also props to Egwu. That was one of the gutsiest performances I've seen out of an Illini player in years. He got in there and battled and grabbed rebounds and loose balls like he was an all-american. That was something.

Great point about Egwu. Most of Miami's big guys are 22-24 years old and Egwu battled the hell out of them and really stepped up. Good to see for the future.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
Damn, dropping it old school. I have no idea what you are talking about with 3 of those games.

LOL alot of heartbreak for me...........The Illinois have the most wins of any team NOT to win a NCAA Basketball title!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
The 2001 Arizona & 2006 Washington games still annoy me, but its hard to complain after the breaks Illinois got in the 05 Arizona game.

Speaking of the 2006 Washington game, two of the officials from tonight (Doug Shows and Gary Maxwell) reffed that game as well. f*** those guys.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Great point about Egwu. Most of Miami's big guys are 22-24 years old and Egwu battled the hell out of them and really stepped up. Good to see for the future.

I was very impressed with Egwu tonight. Hustling and battling is really the only way to describe it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 03:57 AM)
Awful call that robbed Illinois a chance to tie the game, but refs need to be able to go review something like that. Its tough in real time. Let them use replay to get it right.

Agree entirely. I thought it was pretty clear that it was out on Miami live-speed, but with a bunch of hands in the pile, tough to tell. I know the announcers talked about it afterwards, but maybe inside 2 minutes, or a minute, things like that can be reviewed. Plenty of other things can be reviewed, why not something like that that's black and white (with a good look).

If they are worried about delaying the game, no one is going to be upset with that at the end of the game. There are already 5 timeouts taken in those 2 minutes, and they review almost 1 "flagrant" foul per game. We have the technology, might as well use it.

Illinois started college football replay after getting screwed against Michigan. Perhaps they'll get the rule changed for reviewing calls in basketball too. At the end of the day I can't blame that one blown call for the loss, but there's no good reason why we can't make sure the call is right at one of the most important points of the game. Same with the Craft block/charge.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
Illinois started college football replay after getting screwed against Michigan. Perhaps they'll get the rule changed for reviewing calls in basketball too. At the end of the day I can't blame that one blown call for the loss, but there's no good reason why we can't make sure the call is right at one of the most important points of the game. Same with the Craft block/charge.

but where do you draw the line? Then you have to review all fouls because why is a charge more important than a hack? Craft was beaten down on his last second shot against Michigan and that cost them the game. Is that reviewable?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
There's a huge difference between reviewing fouls and the play last night. I don't agree with reviewing fouls, those are judgment calls.

I agree with you, I dont think you should be able to review fouls at all. Out of bounds, for sure.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
but where do you draw the line? Then you have to review all fouls because why is a charge more important than a hack? Craft was beaten down on his last second shot against Michigan and that cost them the game. Is that reviewable?

Refs stop game 10 times already to look at monitor.............getting a call right is the difference between winning and losing.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)

No, judgment fouls should not be reviewable, but blocks/charges that depend on where the guys foot is relative to the line should be, just like out-of-bounds calls should be. Those are clear cut, no judgment required calls.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:52 PM)

Here's why we lost:

I don't follow the Illini. At all. But it seemed to me that the gameplan should have been "more Brandon Paul does what he wants at the rim" and less "bunch of guys chuck threes".

Great game, though. Great day all around for basketball.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
I don't follow the Illini. At all. But it seemed to me that the gameplan should have been "more Brandon Paul does what he wants at the rim" and less "bunch of guys chuck threes".

Great game, though. Great day all around for basketball.

Groce loves chucking 3's. Its not going away unless he leaves.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)
No, judgment fouls should not be reviewable, but blocks/charges that depend on where the guys foot is relative to the line should be, just like out-of-bounds calls should be. Those are clear cut, no judgment required calls.

I'm not even sure if they reviewed it that it would have been reversed since they initially had ruled it Miami ball. It's very hard to tell from the two angles they showed if it barely hit Paul's hand after Kadji had made contact.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Groce loves chucking 3's. Its not going away unless he leaves.

Whether he does or not, our team wasn't exactly full of guys that could get to the rim this year, and we had no post presence. It's what we had to do with this group, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Reggie Johnson doesnt travel with team to DC. Other than eating up some minutes, nothing will be missed.

I cant believe how much him breaking his thumb has derailed his season. He went from 12.5/10reb a game to 4.5ppg in the 19 games since his return.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
Reggie Johnson doesnt travel with team to DC. Other than eating up some minutes, nothing will be missed.

I cant believe how much him breaking his thumb has derailed his season. He went from 12.5/10reb a game to 4.5ppg in the 19 games since his return.

Knee surgery might explain that. Obviously there was more wrong than just a bum thumb.