West Region

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
Too be fair, Witchita St. is a bad 3 pt shooting teams that shot out of their ass and the whole game changed when the refs ignored an obvious foul when Olynyk went up for a dunk and then ignored a travel by WSU on the other end which ended up in a 3 for WSU. Plus Bell was hurt and missed basically the whole 2nd half.

Missing Bell was the biggest problem for Gonzaga since he's their best defender but you have to overcome that if you're a #1 seed. It's too bad for them, no one ever would've thought Wichita St. would make 7 3's in a row.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
Zags got by far the toughest 8-9 draw IMO. Pitt or WSU(I do think it will be Pitt) will definitely present Gonzaga with problems, I love this Zags team though, they'll get through me thinks.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 11:44 PM)
Based on Rowand44's track record of falling in love with teams, I'd be willing to bet almost anything Gonzaga doesn't make it to the final four, and I suggest everyone reading this do the same.

Yup

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
This is just what happens when you never play any competition.

Well, nobody wants to play Gonzaga non-conference in Spokane, and it's not easy to schedule for that program...plus the remote location and travel times that are involved for a school in the Pacific NW.

There's nothing to gain for most top D-1 programs in playing them, except for other mid-majors and mid-tier big conference teams, who all want to put a feather in their cap by knocking them off.

But, yeah, Olynyk was fouled, no doubt about that. But Gonzaga didn't play that well against Southern, either. Definitely weren't at the top of their game this tourney.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
How so? There have been like 6 good games in 3 days.

There have been a lot of upsets, but not so dramatic endings.

The only really exciting one was Marquette/Davidson. After watching Marquette take out Butler, they really have to be kicking themselves even more down in Virginia.

One ill-advised pass away from possibly being the Cinderella School of the Sweet 16.

Now that title goes to WSU or Oregon. But those are not huge shockers, not to those who follow basketball year-in, year-out.

Florida Gulf Coast would be the biggest story if they could win tmrw, and Creighton/Temple/LaSalle could also be legit underdog stories.

Last 9 seed to knock out a 1 was UNI, I think.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
There have been a lot of upsets, but not so dramatic endings.

The only really exciting one was Marquette/Davidson. After watching Marquette take out Butler, they really have to be kicking themselves even more down in Virginia.

One ill-advised pass away from possibly being the Cinderella School of the Sweet 16.

Now that title goes to WSU or Oregon. But those are not huge shockers, not to those who follow basketball year-in, year-out.

Florida Gulf Coast would be the biggest story if they could win tmrw, and Creighton/Temple/LaSalle could also be legit underdog stories.

Last 9 seed to knock out a 1 was UNI, I think.

UNI was underseeded that year too. Most people thouht they'd be a 6 seed.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
wichitast_medium.gif

---

I did like this stat though: If you dropped the Iowa State 3-point shooters into the Big Ten season stats, they'd rank first, second, fourth, sixth and 13th in 3-point percentage.

That's nice but...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:13 PM)
Well, nobody wants to play Gonzaga non-conference in Spokane, and it's not easy to schedule for that program...plus the remote location and travel times that are involved for a school in the Pacific NW.

There's nothing to gain for most top D-1 programs in playing them, except for other mid-majors and mid-tier big conference teams, who all want to put a feather in their cap by knocking them off.

But, yeah, Olynyk was fouled, no doubt about that. But Gonzaga didn't play that well against Southern, either. Definitely weren't at the top of their game this tourney.

I remember a B1G team going up there 4 months ago and heading home with a double digit win

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
The Cyclones have looked very, very sloppy in this game, is that how they normally play?

Not quite this sloppy. Lucious is all over the place.

Hopefully Babb comes back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
The Cyclones have looked very, very sloppy in this game, is that how they normally play?

I have no clue. I am a die hard Arizona fan, and I think Arizona matches up better vs Iowa State then they do with Ohio State.