Brad Stephens: bring the brick and ivy to Rosemont

justBLAZE

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I just thought about:

Would this make some fans jump ship to the Sox?

On the flip side, it would actually make me respect the Cubs a bit. I might even not root against them in the playoffs (assuming they aren't playing the Sox).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
I'd imagine there's no way on this green earth they're giving up naming rights for free.

That's just it though. They are getting no compensation for the use of the Wrigley name. I'm sure the Wrigley Co. thinks its great.

But how much money could they get some company to give them just for the chance to put their name on the outside of their new stadium?

If I was Ricketts I would rebuild Wrigley(updated, of course) in Rosemont. I would even create Faux rooftops across behind the stadium as an extra FU.

25 acres, do whatever you want.

Wrigley Field, do what we tell you.

Not a hard choice for me. I would love to see Tunney squirm after getting his bluff called

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
That's just it though. They are getting no compensation for the use of the Wrigley name. I'm sure the Wrigley Co. thinks its great.

But how much money could they get some company to give them just for the chance to put their name on the outside of their new stadium?

The Cubs's stadium would be one of the most valuable properties in baseball. US Cellular spends >$3 million a year on the White Sox naming rights. For the Cubs, $5 million a year would not be unreasonable. The naming right alone could be worth $150 million over the lifetime of a stadium.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
The Cubs's stadium would be one of the most valuable properties in baseball. US Cellular spends >$3 million a year on the White Sox naming rights. For the Cubs, $5 million a year would not be unreasonable. The naming right alone could be worth $150 million over the lifetime of a stadium.

The Sox also got $3 million per over 10 years ago. I'll bet it is way, way higher, all things considered.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
the mets get 20 million a year for s***i field

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
If I was Ricketts I would rebuild Wrigley(updated, of course) in Rosemont. I would even create Faux rooftops across behind the stadium as an extra FU.

25 acres, do whatever you want.

Wrigley Field, do what we tell you.

Not a hard choice for me. I would love to see Tunney squirm after getting his bluff called

the new stadium in mesa has rooftops. it can be done.

Anyone who thinks the cubs wouldn't survive outside of wrigley is delusional. Their massive fan base would easily support them in a new stadium. They'd draw so much more people from the northern suburbs.

I'd actually be afraid if they moved. New facilities would do a lot of things for that franchise.

Then again the white sox would technically be the only team inside the city then.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 12:34 AM)
Anyone who thinks the cubs wouldn't survive outside of wrigley is delusional. Their massive fan base would easily support them in a new stadium. They'd draw so much more people from the northern suburbs.

I'd actually be afraid if they moved. New facilities would do a lot of things for that franchise.

Then again the white sox would technically be the only team inside the city then.

Agree, would be a short term problem and a huge long term gain. The Yankees aren't the perfect comp because people never got so pissed in the first place, but yeah they're fine.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 12:34 AM)

I couldn't disagree more. They may draw better from the northern suburbs, but they'd draw significantly less from the city. Wrigley is one of the biggest parts of the Cubs' allure to casual fans and moving out Wrigley would simply destroy a major portion of their brand. No one is saying the Cubs wouldn't survive, but they'd lose one of their biggest competitive advantages.

There is a reason the neighborhood can strong-arm the Cubs, even if the Cubs have less to lose by moving out of Wrigley than the neighborhood does. That's proven by the fact Ricketts is now willing to pay for all the Wrigley renovations. He simply has no leverage, since staying will always be better for him and the Cubs than moving would be (within reason).

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 12:42 AM)
Agree, would be a short term problem and a huge long term gain. The Yankees aren't the perfect comp because people never got so pissed in the first place, but yeah they're fine.

The Yankees are a franchise loved by its fanbase for winning throughout its history, the Cubs are the lovable losers with the cool, old-school stadium and party-like atmosphere. There really is no comparison. If they move away from Wrigley and the surrounding area, they'll need to win consistently to draw fans a high level, just the Sox have to. Sounds like a long-term loss to me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
I couldn't disagree more. They may draw better from the northern suburbs, but they'd draw significantly less from the city. Wrigley is one of the biggest parts of the Cubs' allure to casual fans and moving out Wrigley would simply destroy a major portion of their brand. No one is saying the Cubs wouldn't survive, but they'd lose one of their biggest competitive advantages.

There is a reason the neighborhood can strong-arm the Cubs, even if the Cubs have less to lose by moving out of Wrigley than the neighborhood does. That's proven by the fact Ricketts is now willing to pay for all the Wrigley renovations. He simply has no leverage, since staying will always be better for him and the Cubs than moving would be (within reason).

You're overating the stadium in all this. Even if half the fan base stopped caring after they moved (which they would not) their fan base would still be twice as large as us. The only people they'd lose from the city specifically wrigleyville is the young college crowd that loves to get drunk. Which a family of 5 from Schaumburg would replace nicely.

Wrigley field isn't a competative advantage when it comes to the performing on the field. In fact it's a severe disadvantage.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 12:42 AM)

And the Yankees identity isn't tied up in its stadium. Its tied up in winning. A lot. The Red Sox are a better comp for the Cubs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
And the Yankees identity isn't tied up in its stadium. Its tied up in winning. A lot. The Red Sox are a better comp for the Cubs.

Great comparison, and there's a reason why the Red Sox didn't move out of that ballpark.