Western MI

greasywheels121

Grand Rapids is awesome from what I've seen. I'm actually holding a conference there in April, staying at the Amway Grand which is a beautiful hotel.

Grand Rapids is a big mix of conservative (most of the rural parts of MI are), but with a pretty large hipster group that is growing from what I saw. They have some great neighborhoods in the downtown area when I drove around, and the downtown area is really nice from what I saw.

And, they are pretty much the micro-brew capital of the Midwest, can't really beat that.

I lived in East Lansing for 2 years and Battle Creek for 1 year and one of my best friends lived in GR for 5 years so I've spent a lot of time there but that was all 15+ years ago.

I would echo what others have already said:

West Michigan as a whole is very religious/conservative but GR has a sizable progressive/hipster population.

Very reasonable cost of living.

Not bad on the cultural/museum stuff if you're into that, and like others said lots of good microbrews.

Just far enough inland that they don't get as much lake effect snow as Benton Harbor/LaPorte/Michigan City but still snowier than the Illinois side of the lake.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 3, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
So this is now happening.

Good luck! Grand Rapids is a really nice city so I hope you enjoy it. I just held a conference there at the Amway Grand Plaza, super nice hotel if you need a place to stay for a few nights.