Thoughts on the Washington series

Buehrle>Wood

I like the Nats guys on TV as well. I'll be listening to Hawk though, of course. I liked the Mets guys one day, too, just because they sounded so New York-y.

In general, I don't hate the Nats. They're not the most major market, the players are fairly likable, etc

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 07:42 AM)
I like the Nats guys on TV as well. I'll be listening to Hawk though, of course. I liked the Mets guys one day, too, just because they sounded so New York-y.

In general, I don't hate the Nats. They're not the most major market, the players are fairly likable, etc

If I lived out of market, I would opt for the opposing team's feed at least 60-70% of the time.

If I lived out of market, I would opt for the opposing team's feed at least 60-70% of the time.

Please tell me that Seattle is in the other 30-40%, because I had their feed Friday on the MLBEI free preview and they were so f***ing boring I almost fell asleep.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
Bryce and Strasburg

Over-hyped. This isn't basketball where two stars will win. They may win but it will be because there are good players around them as well. Ask the Cubs of the late 60's who had multiple hall of famers on a team but still couldn't win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
You realize Stras is a first year arb player next year? He's on the verge of getting paid more in the next 2 years than Sale will get through 2017.

And we all know he will go year to year until he hits his powerball jackpot in free agency.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
Over-hyped. This isn't basketball where two stars will win. They may win but it will be because there are good players around them as well. Ask the Cubs of the late 60's who had multiple hall of famers on a team but still couldn't win.

Agree. Harper/Strasburg is one of the nastiest duos in the MLB. BUT, they will win because of players like zimmerman,gio,desmond, etc who are complimenting them.

Back to this series- I just hope they play good defense, don't blow a lead after the 7th inning, and get out of there with a win before heading to Cleveland.

I'll be happy with 5-5 road trip as long as they don't play like a bad team...with a bad defense and blowing saves.

QUOTE (Realfan @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
I lucked out and had to be in DC today for business. The weather here today is phenomenal. Game time temps should be in the 70s. I'll be in a corporate box behind home plate wearing my Sox gear.

Those seats are incredible in that stadium

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
If salary is no issue I would take Verlander + Cabrera over that duo, and the Tigers have definitely been beatable since those two hooked up. They still will be this year since we're taking this division. f*** yeah.

Unfortunately, salary will be an issue, especially with Strasburg. Given that Boras is his agent, I don't think there is a chance in hell he signs a long-term deal with the Nationals prior to testing free agency. God only knows what he'd get on the market as a 28 year old, especially if the Yankees have some money to play with by then.

The point is that even if the Nationals find a way to sign him long-term, it's going to be at a price so ridiculous it will cause more harm than good. Therefore, the Nationals should get as much out of him while they can, which makes their decision to shut him down last year all the more stupid IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Unfortunately, salary will be an issue, especially with Strasburg. Given that Boras is his agent, I don't think there is a chance in hell he signs a long-term deal with the Nationals prior to testing free agency. God only knows what he'd get on the market as a 28 year old, especially if the Yankees have some money to play with by then.

The point is that even if the Nationals find a way to sign him long-term, it's going to be at a price so ridiculous it will cause more harm than good. Therefore, the Nationals should get as much out of him while they can, which makes their decision to shut him down last year all the more stupid IMO.

Depends on if his arm blows up again or not. Josh Hamilton might serve as an interesting example of what can happen if you have some pretty large questions surrounding your long term viability as a baseball player. I wonder if Straus runs into the same thing in a few years?