Chicago White Stockings vs. Montreal Expos

Quin

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
Sox did and paid him as such.

See Teahen, Mark.

Rinse and repeat. They probably made the classic mistake of buying high on a player coming off a career year. Not typical White Sox GM'ing style from KW at all.

It doesn't work with mutual funds, it doesn't usually work out with players with relatively pedestrian career stats at this stage of their careers to expect a repeat.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 01:44 AM)
Well, one thing's for certain.

We really need to come home at .500 if we want the fans to BEGIN to invest in this team again.

The Sox could win 7 or 8 out of 10 on this road trip and it wouldn't matter with regards to attendance this earlier in the season. More important than record is the weather, IMO. For those that don't live in Chicago, I don't think you have any idea how horribly windy it was on Saturday.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Sox did and paid him as such.

3 yrs/12 mil....kind of in between. They overpaid to get SOMEBODY in there. He's a journeyman player that can hit lefties and had a great year last year. If Gillaspie makes the most of his opportunities, it could be more of a platoon thing.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 06:46 PM)
Maybe, but we all know this team doesn't just quit, so I think you're a bit early on the ballgame call.

It's not like Gio Gonzalez is 0-4 career against us. Game has to be over.

Of course, like the last six weeks of the season in 2012...we can all look back and point at the missed opportunities early. Seems to be a broken record now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
See Teahen, Mark.

Rinse and repeat. They probably made the classic mistake of buying high on a player coming off a career year. Not typical White Sox GM'ing style from KW at all.

It doesn't work with mutual funds, it doesn't usually work out with players with relatively pedestrian career stats at this stage of their careers to expect a repeat.

Let's not compare him Teahen. At least Keppinger can crush lefties and play multiple positions. He may end up being overpaid if used in a platoon or reserve role, but he'll still be a useful player for us.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 01:47 AM)
3 yrs/12 mil....kind of in between. They overpaid to get SOMEBODY in there. He's a journeyman player that can hit lefties and had a great year last year. If Gillaspie makes the most of his opportunities, it could be more of a platoon thing.

Hurting your wrist on a swing isn't exactly the type of injury that is going to go away overnight, so I expect we see a lot of Keppinger at 2nd and Gillaspie at 3rd the next week. Hopefully it's not a tendon issue like what DeRosa or Weeks had

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
The Sox could win 7 or 8 out of 10 on this road trip and it wouldn't matter with regards to attendance this earlier in the season. More important than record is the weather, IMO. For those that don't live in Chicago, I don't think you have any idea how horribly windy it was on Saturday.

I was in the Philippines on Saturday and it was a balmy 35C.

More spring-like here in Shanghai.

Yeah, those winds will kill you in the upper deck, even with the roof/overhang.

24 at bats in for Keppinger. Teahen alert!

FWIW, it's 4 million dollars. Even if he sucks, that is not a big deal. That is a laughably small portion of our payroll. Anyway, I don't think he's going to be unplayable and the Sox even said they believed it was possible (I think they were hoping for this) that he would be a super-sub before it was all said and done anyway.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Hurting your wrist on a swing isn't exactly the type of injury that is going to go away overnight, so I expect we see a lot of Keppinger at 2nd and Gillaspie at 3rd the next week. Hopefully it's not a tendon issue like what DeRosa or Weeks had

Is Angel Sanchez going to be more Rey Olmedo at the plate...and will/would a sustained Beckham injury start the Carlos Sanchez Bandwagon from Phil Rogers?

Haven't a clue since I haven't seen him hit..statistically, he seems more like a defense-first guy.