Santiago for 5th starter

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having maybe the 3rd best pitcher on your team as a long man with a manager who has a long leash for his starters is much more valuable :) I'd love to see Santiago get the chance to start and gain some experience this year, as his ceiling is significantly higher than Axelrod's and Quintana's

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
Why, again, did we not make a bigger deal of Alexrod inexplicably being given the 5th starter spot?

Because despite Axelrod being an awful pitcher, he always managed to do a solid job somehow. But believe me, I was the one raving about Santiago after that Brewers ST game saying he should be getting the nod over Axe.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:36 AM)
Because despite Axelrod being an awful pitcher, he always managed to do a solid job somehow. But believe me, I was the one raving about Santiago after that Brewers ST game saying he should be getting the nod over Axe.

He had a 5.47 ERA last year with a 1.5 WHIP and it's not like he has a high ceiling where you're hopefully for significant improvement. He really should be nothing more than AAA fodder along with the likes of Morel.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
Why, again, did we not make a bigger deal of Alexrod inexplicably being given the 5th starter spot?

I don't think anyone disagreed that Santiago is better now, better long-term, more deserving, etc. and that's probably why there wasn't a 20 page long thread on it. I just kind of sat back and watched with a kind of stupid curiosity, like when someone drives up to your garbage cans by the side of the road and stops and starts going through the bags, and then pulls out a plastic plate or something and looks at it briefly like it's possibly worth taking, and you're just like,... what the f*** is going on here?

Usually when there is such an outpouring on this board about a player being better than what is being used, they wind up failing miserably when they are acquired or do get their chance. Rob Mackowiak and Alex Cintron were must acquire players. Josh Fields was going to be a star. Remember how mad many were when Crede was the starting 3B in 2008. Tyler Flowers was very popular as a back up. His popularity is waning by the hour. Santiago is the new flavor. He's doing fine out of the bullpen. Hopfully, Danks is the one who takes Axelrod's place.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
When you have multiple problems with the rotation perhaps it's best to have Santiago in the pen so he can be used twice a week. I doubt that he stays there the entire year.

While I probably would still make Santiago a starter, it is not uncommon in certain settings (like college baseball) where one of your best pitchers will be a multi-inning reliever. You can do like we did with Hector last night, bring him in early in a game with the bases loaded and get out of that jam AND get valuable innings to save the rest of the pen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Usually when there is such an outpouring on this board about a player being better than what is being used, they wind up failing miserably when they are acquired or do get their chance. Rob Mackowiak and Alex Cintron were must acquire players. Josh Fields was going tobe a star. Remember how mad many were whenCredwathe starting 3B in 2008. Tyler Flowers was very popular as abacup. His popularity is waning by the hour. Santiago is the new flavor. He's doing fine out of the bullpen. Hopfully, Danks is the one who takes Axelrod's place.

But there was no outpouring for him. And it is irrelevant if they was anyways. Has nothing to do with how he or Axelrod or Floyd perform. We all wanted Sale to be unleashed too, and now he is our superstar franchise player.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
While I probably would still make Santiago a starter, it is not uncommon in certain settings (like college baseball) where one of your best pitchers will be a multi-inning reliever. You can do like we did with Hector last night, bring him in early in a game with the bases loaded and get out of that jam AND get valuable innings to save the rest of the pen.

It is uncommon in MLB and for good reason though. He's appeared in 4 games and has yet to give up a run. Yet we lost every one of those games. Your worst pitcher can mopup and be terrible, not one of the best.