Santiago for 5th starter

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
Facetiousness ? Sarcasm ? Replace a dominant starter ?

Sarcasm, because I was vilified in one of the game threads for saying I wanted the Sox to win 10-8, but for Axelrod to get shelled, so then Santiago could take his spot. I was told it's insane, unjust, and flat out wrong to ever hope a player does anything but succeed for my team, regardless of the benefits from a poor performance.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Sarcasm, because I was vilified in one of the game threads for saying I wanted the Sox to win 10-8, but for Axelrod to get shelled, so then Santiago could take his spot. I was told it's insane, unjust, and flat out wrong to ever hope a player does anything but succeed for my team, regardless of the benefits from a poor performance.

So it really bothers you when Axelrod does well? If you are supposedly a White Sox fan, the villification is justified.

I think Santiago, if he were in Axelrod's position, would be very happy with the results so far. One bad outing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
So it really bothers you when Axelrod does well? If you are supposedly a White Sox fan, the villification is justified.

I think Santiago, if he were in Axelrod's position, would be very happy with the results so far. One bad outing.

No, I never said that. I said in that game a week or two ago that a 10-8 Sox win in which Axelrod gives up 8 runs would be a perfect scenario because the Sox would get the win, the bullpen would have dominated, the offense would have obviously dominated, and it may give Santiago the chance to steal Axe's job. This was the start following the outing against WAS in which Axe was just awful.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 2, 2013 -> 11:04 PM)
Hector as a starter: 5 Games started - 24.2 innings, 5 ER, 13 BBs, 13 hits and 32 Ks.

That comes out to 1.82 ERA, .813 WHIP, 2.462 K/BB and 11.68 K/9.

He obviously can't keep up the k/rate and will get hit harder, so he needs to throw more strikes. I haven't seen enough of him this year to know if he's just effectively wild and hasn't been figured out yet, or if he's just getting better.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 2, 2013 -> 11:04 PM)
Hector as a starter: 5 Games started - 24.2 innings, 5 ER, 13 BBs, 13 hits and 32 Ks.

That comes out to 1.82 ERA, .813 WHIP, 2.462 K/BB and 11.68 K/9.

Great numbers, it would be nice if he can pitch deeper into games. (I realize he needs to build up arm strength, but it's easier said than done.)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Great numbers, it would be nice if he can pitch deeper into games. (I realize he needs to build up arm strength, but it's easier said than done.)

He's never been stretched out thanks to the Sox mis handling him

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
He's never been stretched out thanks to the Sox mis handling him

BS. He threw 92 pitches in 5.1 while allowing almost nothing. He has to lower his pitch count to go deeper in games. It's not like he's running out of gas at the 50 pitch mark.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
BS. He threw 92 pitches in 5.1 while allowing almost nothing. He has to lower his pitch count to go deeper in games. It's not like he's running out of gas at the 50 pitch mark.

Thanks for proving my point? Dominant, not at 100 pitches, and can't finish the inning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)

If his arm was stretched out to throw 110 pitches without getting tired he'd be into the end of the 6th/start of the 7th in a game like yesterday, and that's just groovy.

(Don't forget that those last 8 pitches or so were thrown after he'd already hit the wall, so let's say he wore out this game at 85/6.1).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2013 -> 07:24 AM)
Thanks for proving my point? Dominant, not at 100 pitches, and can't finish the inning.

If we're going to pick on anyone, it should be the GM and coaching staff/Ventura.

They're the ones who have most of the starters seemingly hitting the wall around 75 pitches.

This is the same organization that's led the majors or at least the AL in quality starts since 2003.

The last time he came into a game, he wasn't given enough time to get ready and the weather was horrible. Everyone knows the starters need to get the ball to the bullpen for the 7th, instead of the 6th.

It has been an issue with nearly every starter on the staff, spotlighting Santiago is pointless.

Also, keep in mind the Rangers' line-up isn't exactly chopped liver. They went to two World Series and three playoff appearances in a row...any time you can take 2/3 on their home field, you consider yourself quite fortunate and don't look for the negatives as much as you accentuate the things that did allow you to win the series.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)
If we're going to pick on anyone, it should be the GM and coaching staff/Ventura.

They're the ones who have most of the starters seemingly hitting the wall around 75 pitches.

This is the same organization that's led the majors or at least the AL in quality starts since 2003.

The last time he came into a game, he wasn't given enough time to get ready and the weather was horrible. Everyone knows the starters need to get the ball to the bullpen for the 7th, instead of the 6th.

It has been an issue with nearly every starter on the staff, spotlighting Santiago is pointless.

Also, keep in mind the Rangers' line-up isn't exactly chopped liver. They went to two World Series and three playoff appearances in a row...any time you can take 2/3 on their home field, you consider yourself quite fortunate and don't look for the negatives as much as you accentuate the things that did allow you to win the series.

With a guy who was targeted for the bullpen coming out of spring training, hitting the wall at 85 pitches is still pretty good. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

It was the other guys like Peavy and well, Floyd, where it was really buggging me. Sale kinda makes sense too...it seems like April was a dead-arm month for him, which I guess shouldn't surprise us given how big his innings boost was from 2011-2012. Peavy and Floyd ought to have been better conditioned out of ST though.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 3, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)

Didn't prove your point. If he's not giving up any hits and still averages almost 20 pitches an inning, , he's not going to go very deep into games. I think when he came in the other night and was hit around, it was 86 pitches in less than 4 innings.

Also I've seen in a lot of places Santiago wasn't warmed up when he came in for Floyd the other night. This isn't directed at you, because I haven't even seen you mention it, but if he wasn't loose, that isn't on an umpire, it isn't on Ventura, it isn't on Cooper. It is on Santiago. He had as much time as he wanted.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
No, I never said that. I said in that game a week or two ago that a 10-8 Sox win in which Axelrod gives up 8 runs would be a perfect scenario because the Sox would get the win, the bullpen would have dominated, the offense would have obviously dominated, and it may give Santiago the chance to steal Axe's job. This was the start following the outing against WAS in which Axe was just awful.

I just want to say that this is the most ridiculous post I've ever read in my life.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
Now it's all a moot point because Santiago will most likely be taking Floyd's spot in the rotation for the rest of the season.

What if Danks comes back?

1. Sale

2. Peavy

3. Quintana

4. Danks

5. Axelrod

6. Santiago

Who's out? Or the dreaded 6-man rotation?

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
What if Danks comes back?

1. Sale

2. Peavy

3. Quintana

4. Danks

5. Axelrod

6. Santiago

Who's out? Or the dreaded 6-man rotation?

We'll decide that at the time. Right now we're sitting at a 4 man rotation until Peavy is able to go.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
How long is Peavy really going to be out for with back spasms?

Also, anyone know how hard Danks was throwing last night?

They are hoping for couple of days. They'd like him to slide into the open slot on Saturday.