Sox push back rotation

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
If Axe is not skipped...

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Can we push both Axe and Floyd completely out of the rotation? Like for good?

tough crowd -- dude was dealing the other night. Plus he's gone head-to-head with some good pitchers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
It was one bad start, out of three, and it was against one of the best line ups in baseball.

The Sox have won 2 of Axelrod's 3 starts, and in those two starts he gave up 2 ER. I would take that from a 5th starter anyday.

For the love of god, bump Axe's turn. I'm not a fan of Gavin, but I'd take him over Axe any day of the week. At least Floyd CAN be dominant. The best Axerold can do is somehow get by with a good start. How often do we say "Man, Axerold dominated tonight". It's usually that he did a good job keeping us in the game, or he battled out there, or he gave a good performance. He rarely overmatches anyone, he just "gets by".

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 01:01 AM)
For the love of god, bump Axe's turn. I'm not a fan of Gavin, but I'd take him over Axe any day of the week. At least Floyd CAN be dominant. The best Axerold can do is somehow get by with a good start. How often do we say "Man, Axerold dominated tonight". It's usually that he did a good job keeping us in the game, or he battled out there, or he gave a good performance. He rarely overmatches anyone, he just "gets by".

For a back of the rotation guy, who cares if he overmatches anyone? He has been effective out there, giving the Sox a chance to win.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
Pitcher #1 :

0-3, 6.32 ERA, 15.2 IP, 22 H, 11 ER, 3 HR allowed, 7 BB, 18 K's, 1.85 WHIP

Pitcher #2 :

0-1, 4.70 ERA, 15.1 IP, 17 H, 8 ER, 2 HR allowed, 7 BB, 9 K's, 1.57 WHIP

Who deserves the bump for one start?

Pitcher #1

gavin_zps2a3fa50b.jpg

Pitcher #2

axe_zps71f969df.jpg

Do Gavin's 2007-2012 stats impact his next start?

Right now, it is about who gives this team the best chance to win a game, something that isn't happening much with an anemic offense. That person is not Gavin Floyd, as of this moment.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)
I'd have to say his 3 most recent starts are more relevant than what he did 6 years ago.

Sure, but I presented 1000 innings of statistics. Not just 2007. Gavin is a fairly well known entity. There is a lot of uncertainty with Axe, and not much that suggests he's worth giving extra starts.

I've been as much of a fan of Axe as a person can be -- I think he's an MLB starter. I do not think he's better than Gavin or should be starting instead of Gavin. I also think he should be in AAA or in our bullpen (or maybe flipped for a replacement level-ish bat so he can play for a team with room for him)

Edited by Jake

I don't think anyone will argue that Gavin has done a better job over his career, vs. Axelrod...but it has little to do with who is performing now, in the 2013 season. Gavin looked absolutely dreadful his last time out, and with a pretty bad team overall offensively, it is about what have you done for me lately, and who gives me the best chance to not lose a game in the now.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
Pitcher #1 :

0-3, 6.32 ERA, 15.2 IP, 22 H, 11 ER, 3 HR allowed, 7 BB, 18 K's, 1.85 WHIP

Pitcher #2 :

0-1, 4.70 ERA, 15.1 IP, 17 H, 8 ER, 2 HR allowed, 7 BB, 9 K's, 1.57 WHIP

Who deserves the bump for one start?

Pitcher #3:

0-1, 6.26 ERA, 23.0 IP, 29 H, 16 ER, 5 HR allowed, 7 BB, 21 K, 1.57 WHIP

According to your logic, Dylan Axelrod is more deserving of a start than David Price.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
Pitcher #3:

0-1, 6.26 ERA, 23.0 IP, 29 H, 16 ER, 5 HR allowed, 7 BB, 21 K, 1.57 WHIP

According to your logic, Dylan Axelrod is more deserving of a start than David Price.

Boom.

Who gives a s*** about 3 decent starts, one guy is CLEARLY better than the other, so let's go with what history tells us, not what last week tells us.

I'd start Porcello next week over Axe, and Porcello gave up 9 ER today in 2/3 of an inning. That's an ERA of 121? Yeah, I'll still take that guy.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 04:39 AM)
Boom.

Who gives a s*** about 3 decent starts, one guy is CLEARLY better than the other, so let's go with what history tells us, not what last week tells us.

I'd start Porcello next week over Axe, and Porcello gave up 9 ER today in 2/3 of an inning. That's an ERA of 121? Yeah, I'll still take that guy.

What about Porcello tells you that he's clearly better than Axelrod? Porcello has a higher career ERA than Gavin Floyd does. Throw in the ballpark effect, Porcello's career 4.67 ERA probably is around 5 if he's pitching in a normal ballpark and higher still at the Cell.

Seriously, maybe having a start skipped for Axelrod MIGHT actually wake Floyd up...

Couldn't hurt. If he goes into a "mental shell" because of it, then he doesn't deserve to get the start in the first place...we always are worried about how fragile and vulnerable he is mentally, at some point he needs to man up and pitch more consistently like he's capable of doing.

Edited by caulfield12