Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 01:01 AM)
I'm okay with JP Crawford. Not sold on Tim Anderson though. Still keeping the fingers crossed someone falls that is too good to pass up as stated in my earlier post.

Ball, Stanek and Peterson would be the three that would be dream scenarios given the slot they're picking.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
Ball, Stanek and Peterson would be the three that would be dream scenarios given the slot they're picking.

Yup, this nails it. I sincerely doubt Ball will fall to us, but it's nice to dream.

There's our KW draft pick, haha. From Jim Callis' chat, baseballamerica.com

Evaluators rarely break out the top grade on the 20-80 scouting scale, but I believe there are three tools worthy of an 80 among the top prospects in the 2013 draft. Those three are Oklahoma righthander Jonathan Gray’s fastball, San Diego third baseman/outfielder Kris Bryant’s power and Maryland high school outfielder Matt McPhearson’s speed.

Gray (No. 1 on our Top 100 Draft Prospects list) has a fastball that’s notable for more than just its velocity, which is plenty notable because he operates at 94-97 mph and reaches 100 as a starter. His heater also has heavy sinking life and he has upgraded his command of the pitch.

Bryant’s (No. 3 on our Draft Top 100) power has been apparent for a while. It made him a borderline first-round pick coming out of a Nevada high school in 2010, though his signability scared teams off. We noted in our Preseason All-America coverage that he had the most usable pop in his draft class, but he has found a new level as a junior.

Bryant hit three homers over the weekend, boosting his total to 28, a school record and nine more than any other player in NCAA Division I. He has outhomered 228 of the 296 teams in Division I. His combination of bat speed, strength, pitch recognition, discipline and barrelability give him elite power.

McPhearson (he’ll be near the top of our Draft 101-250 Prospects list on Friday) is the fastest player in his draft class, though he has been slowed by a tender hamstring this spring. When healthy, he has been clocked as quick as 6.22 seconds in the 60-yard dash, which earns him comparisons to Michael Bourn and Ben Revere.

There's our KW draft pick, haha. From Jim Callis' chat, baseballamerica.com

Evaluators rarely break out the top grade on the 20-80 scouting scale, but I believe there are three tools worthy of an 80 among the top prospects in the 2013 draft. Those three are Oklahoma righthander Jonathan Gray’s fastball, San Diego third baseman/outfielder Kris Bryant’s power and Maryland high school outfielder Matt McPhearson’s speed.

Gray (No. 1 on our Top 100 Draft Prospects list) has a fastball that’s notable for more than just its velocity, which is plenty notable because he operates at 94-97 mph and reaches 100 as a starter. His heater also has heavy sinking life and he has upgraded his command of the pitch.

Bryant’s (No. 3 on our Draft Top 100) power has been apparent for a while. It made him a borderline first-round pick coming out of a Nevada high school in 2010, though his signability scared teams off. We noted in our Preseason All-America coverage that he had the most usable pop in his draft class, but he has found a new level as a junior.

Bryant hit three homers over the weekend, boosting his total to 28, a school record and nine more than any other player in NCAA Division I. He has outhomered 228 of the 296 teams in Division I. His combination of bat speed, strength, pitch recognition, discipline and barrelability give him elite power.

McPhearson (he’ll be near the top of our Draft 101-250 Prospects list on Friday) is the fastest player in his draft class, though he has been slowed by a tender hamstring this spring. When healthy, he has been clocked as quick as 6.22 seconds in the 60-yard dash, which earns him comparisons to Michael Bourn and Ben Revere.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Draft is now just 2 days away.

More Likely Scenarios (In order of my liking to the players):

1.) Alex Gonazalez, Oral Roberts, RHP - 91-93 MPH fastball with very good movement. Flying up the boards after his slider's development into a plus pitch. Ceiling is #2-#3 starter and basement is a reliever. A couple of scouts doubt him as a SP but no one doubts his fastball-slider combo out of the pen.

Every time I hear about Alex Gonzalez from Oral Roberts, I now think of Michael Douglas

Sox have targeted between 5 to 7 players for #17 pick in the draft.

I'm hoping these are their top 5 targets that might be available or could see a slide.

1. Hunter Renfro- Chances are slim

2. Dominic Smith- Hoping he gets past #15-16

3. Alex Gonzalez Arizona Diamondbacks I think will either pick Smith or Gonzalez

4. JP Crawford Been sliding as of late. Lauman putting a lot of emphasis on getting strong up the middle

5. Chris Anderson Been strongly associated with the Sox for the past month

Please Stay Away

1. Aaron Judge- Bust potential is enormous/Long arms=Long swing. Power potential hasn't been seen into played games/Only BP

2. Austin Wilson- Very awkward in the field and at the plate. Bust potential

3. Ryan Stanek- 2 pitch pitcher. Hasn't come close to developing a 3rd pitch. Screams reliever

4. Tim Anderson-Great athletic ability, but hasn't played against any competition. High Risk/High Reward

5. Phillip Ervin- Stocky body/ Body type is similar to Brett Wallace. Already positioned for LF.

Let's stop talking about them. Pipes Dream

1. Trey Ball- I believe he won't fall in the draft. Only reason why he drops is because he's going to college. Only teams that have extra cash such as Houston Astros, Cardinals, etc. can take him late and pay him.

2. DJ Patterson