Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2013 -> 08:46 PM)
If you're going to be awful, be good at being awful. If they aren't making the playoffs, much rather the Sox get a top 7-8 pick than in the 20 range.

Fathom I completely agree with this. If my team can't make the playoffs I want to be bad enough to draft in the top 10 picks. This team also has a lot to sell off. Obviously, these things are tough with this team as others will soon point out. The White Sox will have like 10k fans per game if this happens.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 2, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Although it's probably too early to tell, is there anyone that may be the BPA when we get on the clock that is an infielder or a catcher? I am definitely a BPA kind of guy but I really would prefer something other than an OF.

Unless Bryant or Moran falls to 17 there isn't really that good of an infielder to be drafted that high, unless it's JP Crawford. Crawford is HS SS from California who has a commitment to USC. He's 6'2 and weighs 175 lbs. He is arguably the best defensive player available in the entire draft, but his hitting worries many scouts. As for drafting a catcher, Nick Ciuffo may be your answer. He is a 6'1, 200 lb. left handed hitting catcher from a SC HS. He is best represented by his ability to hit for average, power, and throw runners out from behind the plate. His commitment from South Carolina is a tough one to not overlook however. Besides that, it seems like the draft is loaded with pitchers. I'd like to see Chicago draft a MLB Top 100 Draft Prospect pitcher within there earliest rounds. Last year, they were able to snag 4 top 100 draft prospects (Hawkins, Barnum, Beck, Hansen), and I'd love to draft some this June as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
Non-Sox, but Appel is pitching on espnu right now. He looks fantastic.

He's arguably the best pitcher and player available this June, it looks like his gamble for not signing last year with Pittsburgh will pay off. Whoever drafts him is getting a great talent who will rise through their system at an Addison Reed pace.

Saw a handful of guys Chicago might be interested in at 17:

If They Fall:

Manea, LHP, Indiana State (hard thrower, possible future closer, falling slowly but doubt he falls to 17)

Moran, 3B, UNC (Power hitting 3B with great defense, not sure if he's falling)

Stewart, RHP, TX HS (Top 10 talent who's likely to fall due to 2-sport commitment to Texas A&M)

Just Right:

Eades, RHP, LSU (Hard thrower, questionable durability)

Risers:

Judge, OF, Fresno State (huge outfielder, big power bat)

Wilson, OF, Stanford (athletic right-fielder)

Also, I feel like they will be into CA HS 3B Ryan MacMahon in the second or third round, has QB experience as well and is committed to USC, very strong with huge upside

I honestly don't think the benefit of moving up 10 spots in the draft is worth removing any chance of competing. There are frequently really great players available all over the first round, not to mention throughout the draft.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 7, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
I honestly don't think the benefit of moving up 10 spots in the draft is worth removing any chance of competing. There are frequently really great players available all over the first round, not to mention throughout the draft.

There is generally a large difference in drafting 7th versus 17th.

Kiley McDaniel has his first mock up.

RHP Hunter HarveyBandys HS (NC)

ANALYSIS: The White Sox had been pretty college-heavy early in their drafts before taking two prep bats in the top 50 picks last year. Harvey could infuse even more upside in a system that really needs it with his fastball that has hit 97 mph and a curveball that has flashed plus potential. Harvey is represented by his father, former MLB reliever Bryan Harvey, and has made no secret he isn't committed to a college. There is some buzz his signability could get him even higher than this in the first round where signability and securing premium talent for under slot will be key.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1289798.html

I'd be very okay with this. Solid pick and the possibility of saving some money to nab some better talent on later picks. More or less what the Astros did last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
The Sox don't pick HS pitchers.

They also don't pick high school hitters with 1st round picks. But that changed last year. And for what it's worth they had picked a high school pitcher much more recently than a high school bat. Gio was 2004, but supplemental if you want to get picky. Honel in 2001 was a 1st rounder. As for hitters, the last Prep Bat the White Sox popped with an early pick was Brett Caradonna in 1997, and that was supplemental. The White Sox are also very much linked to Trey Ball this draft, another prep arm. The outlook seems to have changed a bit recently, so I wouldn't be so dismissive.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
The Sox don't pick HS pitchers.

Yeah they usually don't. Hadn't taken HS bats in the 1st round either in awhile until last year. I saw the Sox linked to Matt Smoral a lot last year as well. This may be changing. I just don't think it's a good idea to always pass on HS pitchers because you missed on Kris Honel.

How about this Aaron Judge? #17 on Law's latest rankings: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/playe...312/aaron-judge

Summary :

Judge is a monster at 6-foot-7, 255 pounds, taller than any outfielder in major league history except for Frank Howard (who is listed at 255 pounds as well on Baseball Reference), but is very athletic for a guy his size, an average runner with a surprisingly short swing given his height.

He wraps his bat behind his head when he's finished his load, which usually adds length to the swing, but the path for his hands from there to the zone is very short; it's more of a concern that he doesn't have his top hand fully extended until the bat is most of the way through the zone. Like a lot of taller hitters who set up high, he prefers the ball up in the zone, and the huge raw power he shows in BP doesn't always appear in games because he doesn't get under the ball enough to drive it out. Judge won't play center in pro ball but is an average runner who should have above-average range in either corner, with a plus arm to handle right, along the lines of Jason Heyward's defensive profile.

He has 30-homer potential for a team willing to overlook what might be 150 strikeouts a year, which would still be an above-average player, but the fact that he hasn't shown a ton of power during games so far is a minor red flag.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 10, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Latest SI Mock is the second I;ve seen predicting Dominic Smith for the Sox. Not sure how I feel about that. Seems like a good chance that Stanek drops, is he worth the risk?

I'd love Stanek. He was considered a top 5 pick early this year. Stuff has been down a bit and some command issues, but he probably has the highest upside of the college arms that might be available at 17. Similar things could be said about Manaea if he fell that far. Rogers reiterated today that the Sox would love for Trey Ball to fall to them. I'd echo that sentiment, but kid has some major helium lately.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 10, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
I'd love Stanek. He was considered a top 5 pick early this year. Stuff has been down a bit and some command issues, but he probably has the highest upside of the college arms that might be available at 17. Similar things could be said about Manaea if he fell that far. Rogers reiterated today that the Sox would love for Trey Ball to fall to them. I'd echo that sentiment, but kid has some major helium lately.

Trey Ball or Moran are guys I was hoping for.

To me, I think taking an outfielder would be a huge mistake with the first pick the Sox have. If Hawkins, Mitchell, Thompson and Walker all don't work out, then I don't want this organization trying to develop another outfielder when there is likely to be some good arms available.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 9, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
They also don't pick high school hitters with 1st round picks. But that changed last year. And for what it's worth they had picked a high school pitcher much more recently than a high school bat. Gio was 2004, but supplemental if you want to get picky. Honel in 2001 was a 1st rounder. As for hitters, the last Prep Bat the White Sox popped with an early pick was Brett Caradonna in 1997, and that was supplemental. The White Sox are also very much linked to Trey Ball this draft, another prep arm. The outlook seems to have changed a bit recently, so I wouldn't be so dismissive.

Jason Stumm, too.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
To me, I think taking an outfielder would be a huge mistake with the first pick the Sox have. If Hawkins, Mitchell, Thompson and Walker all don't work out, then I don't want this organization trying to develop another outfielder when there is likely to be some good arms available.

Same. I don't want to see a OF picked until we take a few LHPs, 3B, and SS's.