Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 16, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
Seriously, the more and more time passes, the more I put faith into what Law says.

Yeah, the guy is pompous and condescending, but he knows what he's talking about. Him and Jason Parks I think are the best guys in the media right now for prospecting.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

10:10 p.m. CDT, May 16, 2013

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Possessing the 17th overall pick in the June 6 amateur draft may influence the White Sox to select the best player available instead of addressing a specific need, such as a middle infielder.

"At that point, you have to go for the best guy," Doug Laumann, the Sox's director of scouting, said Thursday morning before traveling to see pitcher Alex Gonzalez of Oral Roberts.

Executive vice president Ken Williams has taken a greater role in evaluations this year and is expected to spend this weekend looking at potential high picks in Southern California, and Laumann has kept general manager Rick Hahn abreast of all the evaluations.

"You never say you want to address a need at 17,'' Laumann said.

The Sox, who have selected outfielders with their first pick in three of the past four drafts — Jared Mitchell, Keenyn Walker and Courtney Hawkins — could tilt toward a college pitcher unless a highly desirable infielder is available.

The big question for the Sox could be whether there is a college pitcher they perceive with as much talent as Erik Johnson and Chris Beck, their past two second picks who have emerged as top prospects.

"Either this year's crop is weaker, or these guys (Johnson and Beck) are more advanced,'' Laumann said.

There is plenty of intrigue after the first three overall picks that could have a trickle-down effect for the Sox. The consensus is that pitchers Mark Appel of Stanford and Jonathan Gray of Oklahoma, along with San Diego slugger Kris Bryant, will be the first three picks (in no particular order).

The Twins own the fourth pick and are believed to be considering Houston high school pitcher Kohl Stewart, who has signed a letter of intent to play quarterback for Texas A&M. Stewart would play at least one year behind 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel if he honored his commitment, but his leverage as a two-sport player could command him well in excess of the recommended $4.5444 million signing bonus for the fourth pick.

The other wild card is Indiana State left-hander Sean Manaea, who has coped with a hip injury. Agent Scott Boras is advising him and the Sox have shied away from his high-profile clients in past drafts.

The dilemma for the Sox, however, is they don't perceive much separation in talent between picks 7-15 and 16-25.

"There's nothing clear-cut," Laumann said.

Laumann said as many as three high school catchers could be selected in the first round, but the Sox are in good shape with the emergence of Josh Phegley and Michael Blanke as, well as Kevan Smith.

"We're good there," Laumann said.

The Sox have a bonus pool of $5.3 million for their picks in the first 10 rounds, including an assigned value of about $2.2 million for their first pick and $1 million for their second-round pick (55th overall).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 16, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
Seriously, the more and more time passes, the more I put faith into what Law says.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 16, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Yeah, the guy is pompous and condescending, but he knows what he's talking about. Him and Jason Parks I think are the best guys in the media right now for prospecting.

Pretty much.

Much has been made of his bias against the Sox, on here. Part of that is that he's just a sarcastic, negative guy in general, so when taken out of context, you might think he's biased.

But I've noticed a change in his tone about Sox draft picks and minor leaguers in the past year or so. That could be a result of improving the system. Or - and I think this may be part of it - there is a different GM in charge. Law, I think, isn't someone who disliked the Sox - he disliked KW. That's one theory. He does still make snide references to Sirotka.

In any case, he's a good evaluator worth reading. And at worst, he may harbor a small bias against the Sox, but that seems to be fading for one reason or another.

I honestly just don't think he ever really liked the Sox system, and it's not like they've proven him wrong. There are a few throughout that we could look at, but I think the biggest one he was wrong on was Dan Hudson, and then Hudson's elbow ended up exploding. He never said he didn't like Sale, he just said he didn't see him making it as a starter. He's been proven wrong thus far, and I'm grateful for that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 17, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
I honestly just don't think he ever really liked the Sox system, and it's not like they've proven him wrong. There are a few throughout that we could look at, but I think the biggest one he was wrong on was Dan Hudson, and then Hudson's elbow ended up exploding. He never said he didn't like Sale, he just said he didn't see him making it as a starter. He's been proven wrong thus far, and I'm grateful for that.

Yeah, with Sale particularly, I think we often misrepresent what people say. We think to ourselves that Law and others say they "don't like Sale", but really what they're saying is that they don't like the PICK of Sale at 14. Everyone always acknowledged his stuff, but felt that his frame and delivery made him a big risk as anything but a reliever, and so there were safer bets available. The Sox gambled and have thus far been fortunate, but it could have easily gone the other way. We can't forget that these pundits are giving opinions on futures; their opinions are on decisions being made now to gamble on a range of outcomes. No one ever claimed, for example, that Sale was going to be a bad pitcher, just that he was high risk. The fact that he's been good so far doesn't make Law or anyone else wrong about him -- he was and probably still is high risk.

Pretty much.

Much has been made of his bias against the Sox, on here. Part of that is that he's just a sarcastic, negative guy in general, so when taken out of context, you might think he's biased.

But I've noticed a change in his tone about Sox draft picks and minor leaguers in the past year or so. That could be a result of improving the system. Or - and I think this may be part of it - there is a different GM in charge. Law, I think, isn't someone who disliked the Sox - he disliked KW. That's one theory. He does still make snide references to Sirotka.

In any case, he's a good evaluator worth reading. And at worst, he may harbor a small bias against the Sox, but that seems to be fading for one reason or another.

If you are still making references to a trade 13 years after it happened, then you have some kind of serious bias for or against some person or organization involved in that trade, and I don't need to bother wasting my time reading your opinions.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 17, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
If you are still making references to a trade 13 years after it happened, then you have some kind of serious bias for or against some person or organization involved in that trade, and I don't need to bother wasting my time reading your opinions.

It seems to me that it's brought up to him more often than him blurting it out.

I mean, he had all the right in the world to be bitter in this Q&A from like 5 years ago, and his response shows none of that other than "one of the worst shoulder injuries I've ever seen"

Adam (Toronto)

Just read a wire story that the Jays are now saying June-July best case for McGowan with Cito saying next year is also possible... Is this close to a "Mike Sirotka" situation as far as career-ender ?

Keith Law (1:49 PM)

One, I hope not. He was electric before he got hurt. Two, I think Sirotka is a rare/extreme scenario. His shoulder injury was apparently one of the worst the doctors had seen, and I think he had at least two operations. I'm more concerned that McGowan comes back and is 89-92 instead of 93-97. And I wouldn't count on anything from him this year. Muddle through with Romero, Cecil, Litsch, Purcey, maybe Mills, etc.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/25559

Beyond that, he wasn't even in Toronto's organization at the time of the trade. Neither was Ricciardi, who was the GM that hired him in Toronto. Williams made that trade with Gord Ash, who was fired later that year. I don't know that Law necessarily ever liked Williams, but he has literally no reason to be upset about the Mike Sirotka situation.

Guys is there any consensus on how much say KW will have on the draft? I know that he has been doing a lot of scouting this year. In past years, I would have thought that if Stanford OF Austin Wilson is available, he would automatically be the pick. Now they could go in any direction and it wouldn't shock me. I would be excited if they took Wilson. I loved him coming out of HS and Stanford hitters notoriously have questions because of that coaching staff there. What does the board think about if Wilson was the pick at #17?

My Top 8 2013 MLB Mock Draft:

1. Houston Astros- Appel

2. Chicago Cubs- Gray

3. Colorado Rockies- Bryant

4. Minnesota Twins- Stewart

5. Cleveland Indians- Shipley

6. Miami Marlins- Moran

7. Boston Red Sox- Manaea

8. Kansas City Royals- Stanek

Top 3 Mock ChiSox Picks:

R1. Dominic Smith, 1B, CA HS(most agreeable between KW, Hahn, and Co.)/ J.P. Crawford, SS, CA HS/ Austin Wilson, OF, Stanford/ Alex Gonzalez, RHP, Oral Roberts(confirmed scouted)/ Phil Bickford, RHP, CA HS

R2. Alex Gonzalez, RHP, Oral Roberts / Michael Wagner, RHP, San Diego/ Stephen Tarpley, LHP, Scottsdale CC/ Stephen Gonsalvez, LHP, CA HS

R3. Ryan McMahon, 3B, CA HS/ Christopher Rivera, SS, CA HS/ Jeremy Martinez, C, CA HS

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 18, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
My Top 8 2013 MLB Mock Draft:

1. Houston Astros- Appel

2. Chicago Cubs- Gray

3. Colorado Rockies- Bryant

4. Minnesota Twins- Stewart

5. Cleveland Indians- Shipley

6. Miami Marlins- Moran

7. Boston Red Sox- Manaea

8. Kansas City Royals- Stanek

Top 3 Mock ChiSox Picks:

R1. Dominic Smith, 1B, CA HS(most agreeable between KW, Hahn, and Co.)/ J.P. Crawford, SS, CA HS/ Austin Wilson, OF, Stanford/ Alex Gonzalez, RHP, Oral Roberts(confirmed scouted)/ Phil Bickford, RHP, CA HS

R2. Alex Gonzalez, RHP, Oral Roberts / Michael Wagner, RHP, San Diego/ Stephen Tarpley, LHP, Scottsdale CC/ Stephen Gonsalvez, LHP, CA HS

R3. Ryan McMahon, 3B, CA HS/ Christopher Rivera, SS, CA HS/ Jeremy Martinez, C, CA HS

Mayo is saying Smith won't get past the Mets, and consensus seems to be that Manaea will fall further. I wonder if Hunter Renfroe may be available at 17, which I think would be nice.

Also, I've been all about Aaron Judge, but I saw some video and I don't like his swing now. He somehow looks off-balance and like he doesn't swing very hard at the same time.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 21, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Manaea was scratched from his start today. s***ty timing for the kid.

You have to figure there's a very real chance he falls to us now. I wonder if it'd be worth gambling on that upside at 17 considering that this is such a weak draft anyway.

From a Law blog today: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/...aw-on-southland

Oral Roberts right-hander Alex “Chi Chi” Gonzalez has been one of the biggest risers in this year's draft, moving up from 44th on my mid-March rankings into the teens right now, with a very good chance he goes somewhere in the top 15 overall picks. Gonzalez threw on short rest on Wednesday morning in the Southland Conference tournament and was good, but not as good as he's been in recent weeks. His four-seamer was 90-93 mph, straight but mostly low in the zone, with his 87-88 cutter/slider his out pitch, with hard tilting action on the pitch. Gonzalez showed he could throw it for a strike or make right-handers chase it into the other batter's box. His third pitch on Wednesday was a low-80s changeup with split-like action, a pitch he hasn't used a ton this season, instead usually using a slider in that same velocity range, but it could be an average pitch if his feel for it improves. Gonzalez has a modest frame, not projectable, with a loose arm and some torque from hip rotation, although he could get his pitching hand turned over a little sooner. He's a very strong ground-ball guy, which will increase his appeal to clubs that utilize statistical analysis in their draft process. One senior evaluator told me that in his view, Gonzalez "isn't that far behind [Jonathan] Gray." I think Chi Chi's market starts with the Red Sox at No. 7 and ends with a floor of Arizona at 15 and the White Sox at 17.

Latest Mock:

1. Houston Astros - Gray

2. Chicago Cubs - Appel

3. Colorado Rockies - Bryant

4. Minnesota Twins - Stewart

5. Cleveland Indians - Shipley

6. Miami Marlins - Moran

7. Boston Red Sox - Frazier

8. Kansas City Royals - Stanek

9. Pittsburgh Pirates (M. Appel - unsigned) - McGuire

10. Toronto Blue Jays - Meadows

11. New York Mets - Smith

12. Seattle Mariners - Clarkin

13. San Diego Padres - Bickford

14. Pittsburgh Pirates - Peterson

15. Arizona Diamondbacks - J.P. Crawford

16. Philadelphia Phillies - Kaminsky

17. Chicago White Sox - Wilson

18. Los Angeles Dodgers - Manea

If the ChiSox don't draft Wilson look for them to take Aaron Judge or reach for RHP Alex Gonzalez. The only thing keeping me away from saying that they won't take Wilson is their history with Joe Borchard.

17. White Sox: Chris Anderson, RHP, Jacksonville

Chicago has taken toolsy hitters in recent years, but it also has taken big, strong college pitchers. Anderson faded a bit but was really good early on and in his last start. Last mock Draft: 19

Latest mlb.com mock draft

Manaea is falling even more...down to the Cardinals at 19th in this one. Have a hard time believing the White Sox wouldn't take a shot at him. Does anyone know anything about this kid?

It's not like Jacksonville is a big-time college program...always a risk when you don't see them against SEC/Big 12/PAC 10 competition as much, but there's also the Cape Cod/summer leagues.