Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
17. White Sox: Chris Anderson, RHP, Jacksonville

Chicago has taken toolsy hitters in recent years, but it also has taken big, strong college pitchers. Anderson faded a bit but was really good early on and in his last start. Last mock Draft: 19

Latest mlb.com mock draft

Manaea is falling even more...down to the Cardinals at 19th in this one. Have a hard time believing the White Sox wouldn't take a shot at him. Does anyone know anything about this kid?

It's not like Jacksonville is a big-time college program...always a risk when you don't see them against SEC/Big 12/PAC 10 competition as much, but there's also the Cape Cod/summer leagues.

Thing about Manaea is that he can go back to college and re-enter next year. I imagine if he falls to us he'll just try to get healthy for 2014.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 30, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Thing about Manaea is that he can go back to college and re-enter next year. I imagine if he falls to us he'll just try to get healthy for 2014.

Yep. He has leverage. He also has Boras as an agent.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
17. White Sox: Chris Anderson, RHP, Jacksonville

Chicago has taken toolsy hitters in recent years, but it also has taken big, strong college pitchers. Anderson faded a bit but was really good early on and in his last start. Last mock Draft: 19

Latest mlb.com mock draft

Manaea is falling even more...down to the Cardinals at 19th in this one. Have a hard time believing the White Sox wouldn't take a shot at him. Does anyone know anything about this kid?

It's not like Jacksonville is a big-time college program...always a risk when you don't see them against SEC/Big 12/PAC 10 competition as much, but there's also the Cape Cod/summer leagues.

Law's latest today also has Anderson to the Sox

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)
The SI.com mock has the Sox taking Ciuffo, a high school catcher. Unless the Sox were bluffing, there's no chance of this.

Why is there no chance of this? Just curious as to your reasons. If they feel like he's the best guy they could take him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
Why is there no chance of this? Just curious as to your reasons. If they feel like he's the best guy they could take him.

It does seem unlikely since they took two HS catchers last year, one in the 7th round and another in the 17th round who was a big overslot signing. Neither guy is in full-season ball yet, so you're really looking at a real logjam next year at Kannapolis if you select a HS catcher in the 1st round.

Obviously you can't rule it out completely, but I think this guy would have to be the undisputed BPA or else they'd look at other positions or players who could help a little sooner.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)

I can't find the quote, but IIRC, Doug Laumann went out of his way a few weeks ago to say that the catchers in the Sox organization were better than the top catchers in this draft.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
I can't find the quote, but IIRC, Doug Laumann went out of his way a few weeks ago to say that the catchers in the Sox organization were better than the top catchers in this draft.

Oh okay. Thanks for the info. Draft time is so different now because of last year's draft. Taking the HS players high, I won't rule out anything anymore. But that is a good reason. The only thing that would really surprise me would be taking Mananae from Indiana State.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)

Yes, I saw this quotation too.

Just heard on ESPN 1000, the ChiSox are into college pitchers and toolsy outfielders at pick #17. Jim Callis said they'd take Ryne Stanek if he falls or Alex Gonzalez from Oral Roberts who they scouted. Also have ties to Aaron Judge, Austin Wilson, and Phillip Ervin. Stanek is the most unrealistic choice, but he's probably my favorite.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
Just heard on ESPN 1000, the ChiSox are into college pitchers and toolsy outfielders at pick #17. Jim Callis said they'd take Ryne Stanek if he falls or Alex Gonzalez from Oral Roberts who they scouted. Also have ties to Aaron Judge, Austin Wilson, and Phillip Ervin. Stanek is the most unrealistic choice, but he's probably my favorite.

Yeah I heard the same interview. I think they go RHP unless someone falls. I just can't see the OF thing unless KW is in love with Stanford's Austin Wilson. But after last year's first round, nothing will really surprise me anymore.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)

So basically, the White Sox are expected to draft like the White Sox?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 31, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
Anderson seems like a safe pick, with a floor of a bullpen guy and a ceiling as 3-4 in the rotation. Manaea probably returns to school at this point, unless the Astros take him in the second round and use their extra slot money to sign him.

Baseball America's newest mock as of yesterday afternoon still have the Sox on Anderson.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)

I'm not a fan of any of those outfielders personally. Especially Wilson. Stanek would be a great get if he falls. I also really like Gonzalez but it sounds like he isn't getting past Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if the White Sox nab Dominic Smith if he falls, but once again he probably won't get past Philly.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm not a fan of any of those outfielders personally. Especially Wilson. Stanek would be a great get if he falls. I also really like Gonzalez but it sounds like he isn't getting past Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if the White Sox nab Dominic Smith if he falls, but once again he probably won't get past Philly.

I have always been intrigued by Wilson. I liked him a lot coming out of HS. He's big and could be a star if he reaches his potential. It's tough to tell with Stanford hitters though because that coaching staff makes position players look for contact and hit line drives.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
I have always been intrigued by Wilson. I liked him a lot coming out of HS. He's big and could be a star if he reaches his potential. It's tough to tell with Stanford hitters though because that coaching staff makes position players look for contact and hit line drives.

Actually, from what I've been told Stanford largely left Wilson alone regarding his mechanics. He isn't subject to the notorious Stanford Swing. Just not sold on him. I prefer Judge to him currently.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
I still think DJ Peterson is our best possible scenario if he falls. He has the most advanced bat in the draft aside from Colin Moran. Plays 3B/1B and could be an impact bat in the middle of the order. While its probably too early to tell, I wouldn't be surprised if he made to the bigs by 2016.

BA makes it sound like there's no chance the Pirates don't take him with one of their picks.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
After hearing my second Jim Callis interview today on 670 The Score, I'm very confident Chicago will take Alex Gonzalez from Oral Roberts at 17. Seems like a bit of a reach to me.

You mean the Rongey interview where they talked at length but only focused on who the Sox might take for like 2 minutes? With that said, most experts have Gonzalez in the 15-20 range.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)

That will scare the fans who remember Dominic Brown's name already.