4/22 Games

flavum

Johnson off to another solid start so far. 6 K's in 4 IP.

That's more than you can say for Walker, Thompson, Wilkins, etc.

Semien's done well, but we need superstars, not fringy middle infielders or utility guys.

And Miguel Gonzalez is hitting over .300 about 4 years too late, lol.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Finished with another K.

6 1/3, 3 H, 1 BB, 9 K's...

Oh, and I forgot, Saladino yet another struggling/disappointing Sox hitter after a decent start. Seems like he's hit a wall in the last year...not sure if he will emerge on the other side or not.

There definitely have been some whispers about him falling out of favor with the org starting last year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
It's kind of interesting and awesome that Johnson has done better, the higher he has moved up in the system. He was okay in Kanny, he was great in W-S, and now he is dominating in Birmingham.

If he can be a solid 3-4 starter for the next five years, I'll take it. Maybe they get even a little more from him.

But you got to like his frame. Hopefully he's Floyd with a brain.

Edited by flavum

I hope Johnson gets some starts in Chicago this year. If Floyd can put together a decent half-season and a playoff contender gets desperate maybe Johnson can slide in there and get a shot at big league hitters.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)

Could Hawkins still be feeling the effects from that quad injury earlier this year? I just don't understand how a 60% K rate is actually possible. Not after the season he had last year. It's absolutely mind-blowing.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 12:31 AM)
Could Hawkins still be feeling the effects from that quad injury earlier this year? I just don't understand how a 60% K rate is actually possible. Not after the season he had last year. It's absolutely mind-blowing.

Did you see the video I posted of his home run from milb.com last week? I can't see how he ever hits anything on the ground with those mechanics.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
If he can be a solid 3-4 starter for the next five years, I'll take it. Maybe they get even a little more from him.

But you got to like his frame. Hopefully he's Floyd with a brain.

I think Floyd's problem is he uses his brain too much. He over thinks, second guesses and loses confidence.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)
Did you see the video I posted of his home run from milb.com last week? I can't see how he ever hits anything on the ground with those mechanics.

Thought the exact same thing. He has no chance with anything down and away.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 12:54 AM)
Thought the exact same thing. He has no chance with anything down and away.

Someone mentioned sending him to instructional ball, and I think that's a great idea. Maybe it's a situation where they wanted to try and see if his way would work, and now that it's not, they'll start the teaching process?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)
Anyone disagree that Erik Johnson is making himself into a top 100 prospect?

Seems to be. Most of the pre-season buzz I heard about him was positive from national scouts, so I can only assume that this type of production should get him recognition.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 01:36 AM)
Seems to be. Most of the pre-season buzz I heard about him was positive from national scouts, so I can only assume that this type of production should get him recognition.

I was impressed with him in ST when he faced the Royals starting lineup.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)
Anyone disagree that Erik Johnson is making himself into a top 100 prospect?

Still a bit early, but it appears that way. Could be a pretty solid middle of the rotation type. Despite the system's positional player woes, it could have some nice pitching in Johnson, Beck, and Snodgress.