4/22 Games

flavum

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
Still a bit early, but it appears that way. Could be a pretty solid middle of the rotation type. Despite the system's positional player woes, it could have some nice pitching in Johnson, Beck, and Snodgress.

Yeah there's not one hitter I believe in to make the Majors, but there's a solid crop of pitchers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 09:35 PM)
Anyone disagree that Erik Johnson is making himself into a top 100 prospect?

And in traditional White Sox fashion, he will be ranked somewhere around #80, then make it in the majors and lose his prospect status before he ever reach a top 50 ranking, further perpetuating the notion that the Sox system never has any top prospects.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
I think Sanchez/Thompson have decent shots.

Agreed, but I didn't mean to simply play a few games. I mean to have extended careers. Sanchez has a great shot to be a utility guy. I'm not as sure he will be an everyday starter.

It's going to be interesting to see how Thompson, Walker, & Hawkins develop as the season progresses. The Sox have been very aggressive with these three guys and some initial struggles should be expected. Hopefully we'll see improvement throughout the year, even if their final stats don't blow people away.

Hawkins is the one out of the three making me the most nervous right now. How could his K rate go from 12% last year to 60% this year? Something with his approach at the plate has had to change. I keep telling myself there has to be some explanation for this and that it can be corrected. I just wonder what the hell Winston Salem's coaching is doing with him, because it should never get this bad.

I think Sanchez has a shot to be a starter, but I'd call it 50/50. And I'll be surprised if at least one of the Hawkins/Thompson/Walker/Mitchell doesn't turn into a starter, maybe even two of them. It is also way, way early on Hawkins at this point - nothing to panic about yet.

I'll also continue to plug Semien, who I think could be something.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
Someone mentioned sending him to instructional ball, and I think that's a great idea. Maybe it's a situation where they wanted to try and see if his way would work, and now that it's not, they'll start the teaching process?

That was me. I would rather do that than demote him to Kanny, which I don't think will accomplish much in his case.