This team is a catastrophe right now

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give Tyler Flowers one more month to prove me wrong...as of right now- he has proven to be s***. I hope May will be much kinder month for him. Unfortunately for him, he is in the A.D.C. (Adam Dunn Club). To qualify for this club you must hit below .230 and have a minimum of 20 ABs.

Current Members:

Viciedo- .229

Keppinger- .202

Flowers- .177

Dunn- .143

Wise- .091

Close Calls: Konerko .235 and De Aza .237

Its safe to say that our offense SUCKS!

Be glad when this month is over. I've always admired teams who constantly overcame some form of adversity, even a lack of talent in some cases. Maybe they can turn the page. Ventura wins manager of the year.

Stranger things have happened....and it's not like I'm about to start rooting for someone else. There's only so much whining you can do about the state of your organization, it's player development (and lack thereof), its past decisions, its lack of vision. I am surprised that some of you who were so convinced this team would be s*** this season are so pissed off right now. Isn't this what you expected? Better to get it out in April/May, I suppose. If the Sox are destined to be the doormat in the AL central in '13 then I'll look forward to watching Gillaspie, Beckham, Viciedo, Jones, Reed, Q and even Santiago. And hopefully more of Jordan Danks. I think he's shortened his swing and looks really good at the plate these days. Give him a chance, Sox.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
Be glad when this month is over. I've always admired teams who constantly overcame some form of adversity, even a lack of talent in some cases. Maybe they can turn the page. Ventura wins manager of the year.

Stranger things have happened....and it's not like I'm about to start rooting for someone else. There's only so much whining you can do about the state of your organization, it's player development (and lack thereof), its past decisions, its lack of vision. I am surprised that some of you who were so convinced this team would be s*** this season are so pissed off right now. Isn't this what you expected? Better to get it out in April/May, I suppose. If the Sox are destined to be the doormat in the AL central in '13 then I'll look forward to watching Gillaspie, Beckham, Viciedo, Jones, Reed, Q and even Santiago. And hopefully more of Jordan Danks. I think he's shortened his swing and looks really good at the plate these days. Give him a chance, Sox.

I still cannot believe how poorly prepared this team is. Over and over again, defensive and mental miscues are killing them. They're losing more games from stupid mistakes than they are from not hitting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
I still cannot believe how poorly prepared this team is. Over and over again, defensive and mental miscues are killing them. They're losing more games from stupid mistakes than they are from not hitting.

Dropping a ball in RF has nothing to do with preparation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
Dropping a ball in RF has nothing to do with preparation.

But there's definitely a loss of focus again.

And that's on top of last night, where missing a cutoff man helped contribute to a big inning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
But there's definitely a loss of focus again.

And that's on top of last night, where missing a cutoff man helped contribute to a big inning.

Look at the 8 position players fielded today and tell me how many games they should win. They'll lose a lot of games in a variety of ways because they aren't very good. Lack of focus is maybe one of the reasons they aren't very good.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
Look at the 8 position players fielded today and tell me how many games they should win. They'll lose a lot of games in a variety of ways because they aren't very good. Lack of focus is maybe one of the reasons they aren't very good.

If this team came out of spring training with the same level of focus and discipline they had last year they'd be over .500 right now despite all the injuries. (and...some of those injuries might well be a consequence of people not getting adequate work in the spring as well).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
If this team came out of spring training with the same level of focus and discipline they had last year they'd be over .500 right now despite all the injuries. (and...some of those injuries might well be a consequence of people not getting adequate work in the spring as well).

Why don't they have the focus that they did last year?

It took a year to lose the team (naysayers of Ventura?).

Of course, when you look at the central, it's not like any of them are burning things up!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 07:29 PM)
Why don't they have the focus that they did last year?

It took a year to lose the team (naysayers of Ventura?).

Of course, when you look at the central, it's not like any of them are burning things up!

I gave Ventura all the credit in the world for how that team came out of spring training ready to play last year. He gets exactly the opposite this year for this team coming out of ST making themselves look like fools every time there's a cutoff man to hit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)

Maybe the team isn't comprised of fucused/disciplined players.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)

[ignoring that the team has six players on the DL, and a couple of more players hurting right now, of course]

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
I gave Ventura all the credit in the world for how that team came out of spring training ready to play last year. He gets exactly the opposite this year for this team coming out of ST making themselves look like fools every time there's a cutoff man to hit.

The lack of preparation and carryover of poor fundamentals from last September (6+ months ago!) are all on Ventura and if they team can't turn it around it will (and should) cost him his job.

Inexcusable.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 12:44 AM)
[ignoring that the team has six players on the DL, and a couple of more players hurting right now, of course]

Two regulars out of action and your ace out from the start. Now another starter out. Bad luck but this team can't possibly play this bad all year long. I have confidence they will get it turned around. Season is young and we are only a few games out. When you don't get runners on and otherwise hit then every mistake is magnified

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
The same players were hitting the cutoff man and calling for the ball correctly last year.

They were hitting with RISP too last year. Maybe you can only go to that "preperation" well so often.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)
Two regulars out of action and your ace out from the start. Now another starter out. Bad luck but this team can't possibly play this bad all year long. I have confidence they will get it turned around. Season is young and we are only a few games out. When you don't get runners on and otherwise hit then every mistake is magnified

Let's not make this stretch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:31 PM)

You would think guys would know how to do this stuff by the time they got to the majors.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
Rick Hahn should at least start dispaching scouts to contending clubs' farm teams just in case a sell off is warranted. At this point it does not look good.

Teams do this all of the time. It is how a deal like Soptic for Gillaspie happens.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)

I never had high expectations for this team in 13. I have the luxury of living out of the Chicago viewing area. There seems to be no immediate future with this organization. I would like to see the ownership sell. If not I think we are in for the same poor scouting, poor developing, bad luck in the FA market, we've seen for quite some time.

It not unusual for this team to have a bad April.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)

So who was that pitching in the Chris Sale jersey?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Teams do this all of the time. It is how a deal like Soptic for Gillaspie happens.

Soptic, by the way, is struggling slightly with Giants' High A Team. Yes, I know it is early.