Gavin Floyd to DL - Out 14-19 months for TJ Surgery

Balta1701

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
We will miss Floyd in June and July. The other months......not so much

April ERA 5.28

May ERA 5.42

June ERA 3.58

July ERA 3.38

August ERA 4.79

Sept. ERA 4.23

Anyone actually have what the average numbers are for each spot in rotation? I'll bet his numbers all come in under "average" for a 5th starter.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm glad we'll see of Hector can hack it in the rotation going forward.

The pitches really start piling up when he's on the mound. That's one thing he will have to straighten out in his new role or he'll be back in the bullpen in short order.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
Anyone actually have what the average numbers are for each spot in rotation? I'll bet his numbers all come in under "average" for a 5th starter.

Here's a version from 2006, here's a done-slightly-different version for 2012.

#1 Starter: 3.06 ERA

#2 Starter: 3.74 ERA

#3 Starter: 4.12 ERA

#4 Starter: 4.51 ERA

#5 Starter: 5.47 ERA

Average Starter: 4.12 ERA

(And of course, Gavin is pitching in a park with some heavy ballpark effects as well).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Here's a version from 2006, here's a done-slightly-different version for 2012.

(And of course, Gavin is pitching in a park with some heavy ballpark effects as well).

His ERA is actually lower during his career at home vs. on the road. Looking at the figures in 2012 Dylan Axelrod qualified as an average fifth starter.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
I have a strong feeling you're wrong

Yep, he's still plenty young enough to return from a TJ surgery if he requires it. Heck, he might be better off in the long run if the elbow has been bugging him the last two years.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Yep, he's still plenty young enough to return from a TJ surgery if he requires it. Heck, he might be better off in the long run if the elbow has been bugging him the last two years.

Simply put, forearm/elbow problems are not career-threatening problems unless guys pitch through them and force the onus of the pitch onto the shoulder and destroy that in the process, while shoulder problems are sometimes death sentences for pitchers still. You can make the PED argument for Brandon Webb, but he was one of the best pitchers in the league, and then he hurts his shoulder and he can't even get back to pitching in games.

And as you indicated, sometimes guys come back better. I recall Chris Carpenter going through TJ and he was incredible for the Cards the next season, while Francisco Liriano has never been the same pitcher since.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:50 PM)
I have a strong feeling you're wrong

Why? I put him in the class of "good pitcher" right now and after sitting out the rest of this season I think there's a very good chance he becomes the Jon Garland of the past many seasons. Just there. Certainly no better than a Guthrie or Chen. One of those types.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Cali @ May 2, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Well if he is out for the season, it's certainly his last in a White Sox uniform. So if he comes back it'll be with someone else.

If he's as happy with the Sox as he's said, he might well be willing to take a minimum salary deal or a minor league deal next year to come back and work with Cooper trying to recover from TJS.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Why? I put him in the class of "good pitcher" right now and after sitting out the rest of this season I think there's a very good chance he becomes the Jon Garland of the past many seasons. Just there. Certainly no better than a Guthrie or Chen. One of those types.

First of all, I'm pretty sure Garland had a bum shoulder for a while. That's all moot because he's back in the majors and pitching effectively for Colorado. Jeremy Guthrie is a pretty damn good pitcher. Not counting this year, he's been pretty effective in 3 of the last 5 years, and he did seem to figure something out with KC last year, because he's been good to start the year this year as well (even if he's faced the Sox). Bruce Chen, for much of his career, has been a 5th/swingman type who is basically there to eat innings, and he's put up a career 4.57 ERA in the process.

There's no reason Floyd couldn't come back and be the 4.00 ERA pitcher he was before. If he does need TJ, there's no one pitch in particular that caused it. It's a matter of teams harnessing his natural ability. That's not to say there's no possibility that his stuff won't be affected, but TJ just doesn't hurt stuff too much.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)
First of all, I'm pretty sure Garland had a bum shoulder for a while. That's all moot because he's back in the majors and pitching effectively for Colorado. Jeremy Guthrie is a pretty damn good pitcher. Not counting this year, he's been pretty effective in 3 of the last 5 years, and he did seem to figure something out with KC last year, because he's been good to start the year this year as well (even if he's faced the Sox). Bruce Chen, for much of his career, has been a 5th/swingman type who is basically there to eat innings, and he's put up a career 4.57 ERA in the process.

There's no reason Floyd couldn't come back and be the 4.00 ERA pitcher he was before. If he does need TJ, there's no one pitch in particular that caused it. It's a matter of teams harnessing his natural ability. That's not to say there's no possibility that his stuff won't be affected, but TJ just doesn't hurt stuff too much.

Maybe the surgery will do him a favor and force him to abandon the cutter/slider and just use his fastball/curveball a majority of the time.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
Such a shame that he was never traded during the offseason. Everything felt like it was the prefect time, there was a big need for his caliber of inning-eater, and yet nothing was done and now he is useless to us.

Great. Another kick in the nuts as a Sox fan.

From who? The White Sox? Agreed.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 2, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
Santiago + couple of mid-level prospect + $10M > Gavin Floyd

But if there was any worry about Danks being out, doesn't that mean your real comparison is Axelrod + $10 million?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 2, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Such a shame that he was never traded during the offseason. Everything felt like it was the prefect time, there was a big need for his caliber of inning-eater, and yet nothing was done and now he is useless to us.

Great. Another kick in the nuts as a Sox fan.

What offers were out there for him?