Conor Gillaspie

hogan873

With the death of the Catch All thread, I figured I'd start a new thread to talk about a problem that the Sox will be facing soon. What to do with Conor Gillaspie?

Beckham will be returning soon, and unless he's relegated to the bench, someone else is going to be the odd man out. Will that be Keppinger or Gillaspie? Or is it Beckham? In my mind, the Sox have to keep Gillaspie in the lineup most of the time. He's proven (so far) to be a guy who can play third every day. He hits well with some moderate power, and his defense has been great.

I just have a bad feeling that he'll end up back on the bench at least 50% of the time while Beckham is rolled out there every day. Gillaspie may end up being platooned with Keppinger, and on paper they make a perfect platoon team. But you have to consider the development of Gillaspie and what he adds to the team.

As far as Beckham goes, during one of Hawk's ramblings the other day he said that he sees Beckham as the team leader when Konerko retires/moves on. Steve Stone didn't really respond, maybe because he was thinking the same thig I was: If he doesn't play better, he won't be around to be the leader.

Thoughts?

Historically CG is a contact guy, so you would think based on Hahn's apparent focus on that (Kepp)......that he's a part of the plans.

How big? We'll see. One would think there'd be a little coming back to earth at some point here. But maybe not huge since he has the minor league track record to support this.

Beckham takes over second base when he gets back. If Gillaspie keeps hitting the way he is and Keppinger doesn't turn it around, then Gillaspie stays at third with Keppinger going to the utility role. After Gordon's back awhile, I think Robin will play which ever of the two are performing the best.

I'm glad Conor is gettig the chance he is, and to be perfectly honest I think the competition should be between Gordon and Keppinger, for second base and super sub. Gillaspie has earned his spot thus far, and the other two have been underwhelming and injured

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 2, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Wasn't Becks hitting pretty damn good before he went down?

He was, hence the "and injured" part. I'm worried he may regress due to 4 weeks of no hitting.

Keppinger has been underwhelming to say the least

Conor is the only thing interesting about the team right now. Since nothing is happening this year you gotta get a longer look at him at third to see if he can stick as an everyday starter. That means no platooning. Kepp can be the utility guy, which I think he's fine with. I know he got the long term deal and that money plays, but this should be Gillaspie's time to shine.

For the next few months, you'd like to see Gillaspie on the bench against LHP. If the Sox fall out of contention though, I'd love to see Gillaspie be a full-time starter so he can get experience vs LHP (very minimal in his MLB career so far) in order to see if he can hit them. If Gillaspie can be a .275 hitter and provide 13-15 homers, it will be a great young piece for this team going forward.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
For the next few months, you'd like to see Gillaspie on the bench against LHP. If the Sox fall out of contention though, I'd love to see Gillaspie be a full-time starter so he can get experience vs LHP (very minimal in his MLB career so far) in order to see if he can hit them. If Gillaspie can be a .275 hitter and provide 13-15 homers, it will be a great young piece for this team going forward.

Agree 100%. 3B and left-handed hitting are definitely not organizational strengths and Gillaspie has a chance to fill both those needs for an extended period of time at a very cheap price.

If you're out of the race, you play him everyday. Until then he should play against RHP, at least once Beckham is back.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)

Might take a while for the team to admit they're out of contention, if ever, this season. They're very stubborn about that kind of stuff. Especially with always finishing around the middle so it appears like they had a shot to catch the Tigers (or Twins of the past) when we all knew they didn't. it's part of the curse of playing in the Central.

I wish the team would just pick a lane, if they're going to be in contention they gotta start ripping off 8 of 10 kinda streaks, but if not, just fall into such a dep hole that they're forced to evaluate the possibility of selling off Peavy and Rios and giving Conor a shot at starting everyday (possibly calling up Erik Johnson if Gavin is done for the season too)

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
If Gillaspie hasn't earned the starting job at 3B then I don't know what a guy has to do to earn a job. That's the breaks, Kepp. You're back to being a utility guy. Maybe you'll excel with the diminished pressure.

This is my POV. He can play plenty during a week as a super-utility guy.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 2, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
He was making pretty good contact. Small sample size but it was an encouraging start nonetheless

Admittedly I haven't watched much live Sox baseball, so maybe he was hitting the ball hard at people. It was only 19 ABs too.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
Responding to the thread/thread title - How could Gillaspie possibly be a problem?

Well, he creates a problem by forcing the Sox to make a decision about what to do with him, Keppinger, and Beckham. It's a good problem, but a problem nonetheless.

I am not understanding some of the rationale going on. Beckham is our secondbaseman. Gillaspie or Keppinger were going to play third. Conor seems to be doing pretty goood. I believe the original idea was that Kepp was the super-sub? Right now with injuries people are playing out of position or in roles not originally planned. Greene probably goes down or Danks or even Wells possibly. Of course Danks and Wells may be a decision once Viciedo is back

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
I disagree that it is a problem. Maybe it's a conflict of interest. I think most of the posters are in unison with what they want.

Gillaspie against RHPs

Keppinger against LHPs

Keppinger would get some starts at 2B and provide for some competition and a fire under Beckham. Keppinger can also play LF for Viciedo against a crafty pitcher.

Who is hitting second Alexei or Beckham?

I see your point. Choice of words, I guess. But it's nice that the Sox have an issue like this vs. other issues they've had to deal with so far. Gillaspie has been a pleasant surprise.

If the White Sox arent going to contend this year (duh) and the Braves are contending, Rik Hon needs to trade Gordon Beckham to the Braves. Braves need a 2B and the Sox need a whole lot of stuff.

What would it take from the Braves to make this deal work? Kris Medlen? Mike Minor? Brandon Beachy? All 3?

Prizes-Sony-PlayStation3-1.jpg

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
If the White Sox arent going to contend this year (duh) and the Braves are contending, Rik Hon needs to trade Gordon Beckham to the Braves. Braves need a 2B and the Sox need a whole lot of stuff.

What would it take from the Braves to make this deal work? Kris Medlen? Mike Minor? Brandon Beachy? All 3?

Braves have Uggla, he's making way too much money for them to sit down.