Game Thread 5/10: LAA @ SOX

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
It would be a travesty if Santiago is the one who gets removed from the rotation when Danks returns.

Yep. I know that Axelrod has pitched pretty well, but his stuff is so average (at best). I don't care if they have 5 LH starters, use the best 5, period.

Had a feeling this game was coming after the way the Angels rallied last night (yeah, yeah, there's no momentum in baseball).

Long flight to Chicago or the weather not affecting the Halos.

DeAza up to his usual tricks defensively, and the Axelrod that's AAAA-ish appearing for only the second time this season.

The biggest problem with Axelrod is that he's a great 5th starter on a team with a good offense. But our offense is so terrible, it's almost impossible to win any games where he gives up 4-5-6 runs.

How do the Rays always seem to produce so many utility guys like that?

Brendan Harris, Elliott Johnson, Keppinger, Sean Rodriguez, Zobrist, etc.

It's pretty uncanny.

Royals/Yankees in an early offensive battle. Might have to switch to that one, as the Indians/Tigers game is over already.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2013 -> 01:13 AM)
How do the Rays always seem to produce so many utility guys like that?

Brendan Harris, Elliott Johnson, Keppinger, Sean Rodriguez, Zobrist, etc.

Not sure about Johnson, but all the other guys you mentioned were developed by other teams and then Tampa acquired them. One thing Tampa does an amazing job of is utilizing players properly.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
Not sure about Johnson, but all the other guys you mentioned were developed by other teams and then Tampa acquired them. One thing Tampa does an amazing job of is utilizing players properly.

I should have said "maximize" their potential.

With us, we dumped Eduardo Escobar and he was actually a significant contributor to the Twins last season.

Then KW got stuck with no other options but Olmedo, which absolutely killed us in 2-3 games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2013 -> 02:21 AM)
I should have said "maximize" their potential.

With us, we dumped Eduardo Escobar and he was actually a significant contributor to the Twins last season.

Then KW got stuck with no other options but Olmedo, which absolutely killed us in 2-3 games.

You can't complain about trading Escobar and Hernandez for Liriano. If not having Escobar is a reason your team doesn't make the playoffs, then you have a lot of other issues.

That thing with Steve Stone saying Paulie hits worse with nobody on base because he's a run producer made me think about this interview with Joey Votto tonight.

It's an interesting interview, but the stuff about his hitting approach starts at 4:37.

http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26993467

He assumes every at bat is important no matter the situation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2013 -> 08:27 PM)
How did Gillaspie miss a 91 MPH 3-1 fastball??

He's missing a ton of hit table pitches. Enright slow as molasses

Enright bored him into that K

Edited by Brian

This situation has a K or DP ball all written over it.

C'mon, Dayan. We simply cannot afford to leave the bases loaded with no outs. But it's like the end of last year, when you felt they wouldn't score and would blow it somehow every time the situation presented itself.

I wonder how many times teams don't score with bases loaded, no outs? 3-5% of the time?

Seems we've scored more times by wild pitches in this situation than actual RBI's, lol.

Edited by caulfield12