Reinsdorf family succession plan

Princess Dye

See 5th paragraph from the bottom (though overall this is a very interesting article as a whole)

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal...f-NBA-role.aspx

This article treats it as common knowledge that the Reinsdorfs will not hold onto the Sox eventually, and just concentrate on the Bulls. It has been said before that Michael Reinsdorf is more a basketball guy overall.

Is this something we can infer the article is just.....guessing at? Or is this something everyone senses, in unofficial terms?

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 20, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
See 5th paragraph from the bottom (though overall this is a very interesting article as a whole)

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal...f-NBA-role.aspx

This article treats it as common knowledge that the Reinsdorfs will not hold onto the Sox eventually, and just concentrate on the Bulls. It has been said before that Michael Reinsdorf is more a basketball guy overall.

Is this something we can infer the article is just.....guessing at? Or is this something everyone senses, in unofficial terms?

That would be fine with me so be it, maybe then KW will not have a job for life.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 20, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Wouldn't mind a flashy owner with a mouth and an attitude. JR is too "loyal" for my liking.

Either way, should big changes in the coming years.

Why would there be big changes?

People seem to forget... not only is Reinsdorff not the only owner of this team, he isn't even the largest one, financially. Or at least he wasn't a few years ago, the last time I saw. His face is out there as the public representative of the ownership group. The face may change, but it seems unlikely that the direction of the franchise changes dramatically.

Also, even if JR backs away, he may still retain his stake in the team. So the ownership group may not even change in any significant way, other than JR becoming more of a silent partner.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Why would there be big changes?

People seem to forget... not only is Reinsdorff not the only owner of this team, he isn't even the largest one, financially. Or at least he wasn't a few years ago, the last time I saw. His face is out there as the public representative of the ownership group. The face may change, but it seems unlikely that the direction of the franchise changes dramatically.

Also, even if JR backs away, he may still retain his stake in the team. So the ownership group may not even change in any significant way, other than JR becoming more of a silent partner.

Without having a source to back me up, isn't Reinsdorf's stake in the Sox only like 20% or less.

Initially I think Reinsdorf owned a very small percentage, but had all the power. I believe his stake has increased over the years. We probably will never know, but I have heard many investors have wanted to sell for years, but their requests were rejected by JR. He made them more money as the price of the franchise has skyrocketed. It has to be peaking here shortly, so if they were to sell, that would probably be the time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Initially I think Reinsdorf owned a very small percentage, but had all the power. I believe his stake has increased over the years. We probably will never know, but I have heard many investors have wanted to sell for years, but their requests were rejected by JR. He made them more money as the price of the franchise has skyrocketed. It has to be peaking here shortly, so if they were to sell, that would probably be the time.

One would think when they get their new regional broadcasting rights deal, the ones that are boosting future revenues by the billions (LA Dodgers, Texas, etc.) around they year 2019, that would be the time to sell.

Part of the value of the franchise has already been inflated in anticipation of that, with most insiders valuing the Sox between $800,000,000 and 1.1 billion.

One would think when they get their new regional broadcasting rights deal, the ones that are boosting future revenues by the billions (LA Dodgers, Texas, etc.) around they year 2019, that would be the time to sell.

Part of the value of the franchise has already been inflated in anticipation of that, with most insiders valuing the Sox between $800,000,000 and 1.1 billion.

That's probably more than SoxTalk can scrape up for a bid.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 20, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Yeah because the Sox were so great before Kenny came along and ruined everything. GTFO. Greatest GM in Sox history... and that means EVA. EVA. EVAAAAAAAAA.

What does that have to do with having a job for life as team President? I simply said he does not deserve a job forever as long as JR is the owner.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (black jack @ May 20, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)
Sell to Mark Cuban.

Hello 300 million dollar payroll!

:headbang

Put JR in the Shark's Tank and see if Cuban buys a share.

I'd buy tickets to watch a Mark Cuban owned, Ozzie Guillen managed team. That's entertainment.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 20, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
What does that have to do with having a job for life as team President? I simply said he does not deserve a job forever as long as JR is the owner.

I think Williams is a fine candidate. He's a great ambassador for the White Sox, has a great feel for baseball, has a good eye for talent, and he's not trading away minor leaguers anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)
And JR carries some serious weight, both with Bud and with the rest of MLB owners.

Very true, didn't Reinsdorf already block Cuban from trying to buy the Cubs?

If so, Cuban won't be buying a MLB team until Jerry steps down or sells the Sox.