5/20 Games

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Not a good start for Snodgress. His numbers aren't good so far this year, but I feel like he's been in a slow starter in recent seasons.

Dude was drafted in 2011. He only HAS recent seasons. :lol:

Anyway, slow starts, with a guy like that, usually means more like... adjustment periods. He's done Rookie, then A and A+, now AA - he's moving up fast enough that he's likely to hit some speed bumps. We're probably trying to compare him to Johnson, which isn't really fair. Snodgress still has plenty of time to get it dialed in, and they may have him working on some things. With Johnson, they broke down his mechanics and rebuilt them, they may be doing the same with Snodgress.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 21, 2013 -> 01:17 AM)
I've seen it as "plus" and "below-average."

All scouting reports are saying he has great hands and foot work. I've also seen him listed above-average at 3B or 2B and just about average at SS.

I really think because he really lacks power and is only an average defender at SS makes scouts slot him a 2B. Basically, I think he could give you average - maybe a tick below - defense with an offensive game that is a no power single hitter. But could still hit .270-.300. If he ever does start I can't really imagine him being much more than an 8th or 9th best player in the lineup.

Good summary. Sanchez has been a huge disappointment so far this season in my opinion, as his main tool (hitting) has been non-existent. He's going to have to hit in the .280-.300 range in the majors for make up for his lack of power.

Sanchez's hitting tool is a tad overrated. His average last year was skewed by his unsustainable .370 avg in a 30 game stint in Double A. Other than that, he hasn't shown he's a consistent .300 hitter even in the minor league level.

Also, he's a bit rushed to the Triple A last year, with only 30 games under his belt in Double A. If he continues to hit around the Mendoza line in Triple A, I would like to see him go back to Double A to continue to work on his hitting and promote a guy like Semien or Saladino.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
He's also still the youngest player in AAA in baseball right?

Probably, he doesn't turn 21 until the end of June.

Also, the kid has actually improved his BB % this year while cutting his K % slightly. The power is down so maybe he's not hitting the ball as hard as he did last year, but take a look at his BABIP and that will show you he's been the victim of some bad luck this year.

Way too early to worry to worry about him IMO. I agree that AAA was likely too aggressive of an assignment, but he's so young that he could spend another two seasons at AAA and still be young for the league. Give him some more time and hopefully he'll get back on track soon enough.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 20, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
Probably, he doesn't turn 21 until the end of June.

Also, the kid has actually improved his BB % this year while cutting his K % slightly. The power is down so maybe he's not hitting the ball as hard as he did last year, but take a look at his BABIP and that will show you he's been the victim of some bad luck this year.

Way too early to worry to worry about him IMO. I agree that AAA was likely too aggressive of an assignment, but he's so young that he could spend another two seasons at AAA and still be young for the league. Give him some more time and hopefully he'll get back on track soon enough.

The problem is that even at his highest upside, he's more of an Iguchi/complementary player and not an All-Star or electric game changer in the Reyes mold.

Think Chris Getz with less speed/burst but a better fielder, more walks/patience, mix in 10-15 steals per year, bunting/sacrificing/hitting to the right side and a good all-around game...but it's dangerous to have too many hitters like that at USCF, especially when the major issue for the franchise right now (and in the future) would appear to be generating offense.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2013 -> 10:52 PM)
The problem is that even at his highest upside, he's more of an Iguchi/complementary player and not an All-Star or electric game changer in the Reyes mold.

Think Chris Getz with less speed/burst but a better fielder, more walks/patience, mix in 10-15 steals per year, bunting/sacrificing/hitting to the right side and a good all-around game...but it's dangerous to have too many hitters like that at USCF, especially when the major issue for the franchise right now (and in the future) would appear to be generating offense.

We basically have no hitters like that right now. I agree you wouldn't want a lineup full of them, but having one guy like that isn't going to be a problem. He obviously needs to get that AVG & OBP back up though before we consider for any role, starting or backup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
He's also still the youngest player in AAA in baseball right?

He was on Opening Day, yes. Not sure about today.

Just as you can't over-read that .370 AVG in B-Ham, you can't panic too much about his current hitting in AAA as a 21 year old. Give it time. Likely they won't have to make a decision on him until the offseason any way, in terms of whether or not he's ready for the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
He was on Opening Day, yes. Not sure about today.

Just as you can't over-read that .370 AVG in B-Ham, you can't panic too much about his current hitting in AAA as a 21 year old. Give it time. Likely they won't have to make a decision on him until the offseason any way, in terms of whether or not he's ready for the majors.

If he's still a 21 year old...it's not a bad thing for a 22 year old to be repeating AAA.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 20, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
Scariest part is he doesn't seem to have much gap power. He's slugging .267 this year.

He's young. He can get stronger. If he's the prospect the Sox thought he was, if he wants it bad enough to put in the work to get better and stronger, he still has plenty of time to be pretty good.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 20, 2013 -> 10:40 PM)
I'm surprised Beckham playing SS isn't being talked about more.

There's no reason to talk about it, and looking into it as anything more than getting Beckham playing time is reading into it too much. He'd be a mediocre (at best) defensive shortstop at the MLB level and his bat doesn't play well enough to make up for the glove. He's good at 2B.

The Sox played him there because they would appear to be grooming Sanchez to play 2B in the future because he's in the exact same boat as Beckham with different hit tools. Beckham needs less work on his defense at 2B, so they put him at SS because they primarily care about him getting his feet under him and his bat back into swing.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 21, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
Why would Beckham play SS?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
There's no reason to talk about it, and looking into it as anything more than getting Beckham playing time is reading into it too much. He'd be a mediocre (at best) defensive shortstop at the MLB level and his bat doesn't play well enough to make up for the glove. He's good at 2B.

The Sox (Knights) played him there because they would appear to be grooming Sanchez to play 2B in the future because he's in the exact same boat as Beckham with different hit tools. Beckham needs less work on his defense at 2B, so they put him at SS because they primarily care about him getting his feet under him and his bat back into swing.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 21, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
You don't play a Major Leaguer on a rehab assignment out of position for no reason.

Its less of a difference than left and right field, especially seeing that Beckham came up as a shortstop. If nothing else, it's insurance against Alexei getting injured. Reading anything into it is overreacting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Its less of a difference than left and right field, especially seeing that Beckham came up as a shortstop. If nothing else, it's insurance against Alexei getting injured. Reading anything into it is overreacting.

DH him or Sanchez if it's nothing. Beckham hasn't played a game at short in his ML career.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)

I need my Jump to Conclusions mat.