5/21 Games

caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
Simon Castro a future reliever?

That's where I stuck him on my list, simply because I think our depth is strong enough we don't need him. He's more like the second coming of Felix Diaz (who at least beat the Cubs).

Right now, he's insurance behind Axelrod, Jason Berken and Erik Johnson.

Phegley still in the 1000's for OPS, Jordan in the 900's...even Morel in the mid 700's. Brandon Short has disappeared completely from prospect status.

Weird to see Ricky Romero pitching in AAA. His career went downhill in a hurry.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
Simon Castro a future reliever?

I think so. We already have 6 starters and Erik Johnson is without question our best and most ready pitching prospect. They may keep Castro in the rotation at AAA for a while, but I could see them calling him up for a spot in the pen at some point this season.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 22, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
Probably because he is 24 years old and in his second year at Low-A

And that he's a utility guy on that team, only playing regularly as opportunities arise from injuries or promotions. He's not a prospect, and more than Brent Tanner is. If Barnum hadn't had his new injury, he'd be in Kanny right now and MICHAEL Johnson would be on the bench.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
Is there any update on when Courtney Hawkins will be playing again?

Haven't heard anything on him for several weeks.

Based on previous assessments, he should be ready for baseball around June 1st or so. Will be interesting to see what level they put him at.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
Based on previous assessments, he should be ready for baseball around June 1st or so. Will be interesting to see what level they put him at.

I could easily see them assigning him to Kanny and justifying it as "rehab" so as to spare Hawkins from a true demotion.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
I could easily see them assigning him to Kanny and justifying it as "rehab" so as to spare Hawkins from a true demotion.

And in this case, that is fine. I think if they had demoted him based purely on performance, going A+ to A, would not have made any sense. But he's been out of play for a while now.

And I'll throw this out there, TIFWIW... reading his Twitter account, seeing his quotes in interviews... I have makeup concerns with him right now. Maturity issues, principally. Not unexpected for a 19 year old 1st rounder, but, I think he's got some learning to do. And that will have as much effect on him as any mechanical issues.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 22, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
I cannot stand how he retweets any tweet with his name in it. To me, he seems like a good kid, he just loves the attention a little too much and doesn't handle it right.

Just so it's said...that's a whole lot to read into the twitter habits of a 19 year old.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 22, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
Okay, I can see where he's coming from. Aside from following him on twitter, I have actually met the kid (when he threw out the first pitch at the Cell) and in person, he was actually very polite. Being another 19 year old kid I feel I can make a decent judgment on him but Balta is right; dissecting his twitter should lead to more of a first impression/perception rather than a final judgement. I do expect him to mature, all I am saying is he has plenty room to mature.

FWIW, if I were him, and I was hitting .177 and striking out 60 percent of the time, I wouldn't be retweeting anything and everything with my name on it.

Yup. Mike Trout retweets a lot of good things said about him, but he DESERVES them. Trout can go ahead and acknowledge his success. Hawkins should realize he is having a real terrible season outside of the glory stat, the HR. I think he sees all that love on Twitter and thinks he is doing something right and could be thinking "Who cares if I strike out 50% of the time, I am hitting home runs", and that's a horrible attitude to have.

However, as noted, he's 19, so it's not a big deal. He'll learn.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 22, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
Yup. Mike Trout retweets a lot of good things said about him, but he DESERVES them. Trout can go ahead and acknowledge his success. Hawkins should realize he is having a real terrible season outside of the glory stat, the HR. I think he sees all that love on Twitter and thinks he is doing something right and could be thinking "Who cares if I strike out 50% of the time, I am hitting home runs", and that's a horrible attitude to have.

However, as noted, he's 19, so it's not a big deal. He'll learn.

Again, I think you all are reading way, way too much into the twitter patterns of a 19 year old recently drafted kid in the low minors. Whoop de doo, he retweets people who say his name! Doesn't that also drive twitter traffic to their page? Isn't that also doing a favor for the people who are tweeting about him?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
And in this case, that is fine. I think if they had demoted him based purely on performance, going A+ to A, would not have made any sense. But he's been out of play for a while now.

And I'll throw this out there, TIFWIW... reading his Twitter account, seeing his quotes in interviews... I have makeup concerns with him right now. Maturity issues, principally. Not unexpected for a 19 year old 1st rounder, but, I think he's got some learning to do. And that will have as much effect on him as any mechanical issues.

Not sure if going to Kannapolis is the right move though. Maybe he goes there and dominates and fixes what ails him by gaining more confidence. OTOH, he could go down there and keep the same bad habits while still dominating and never fixing his flaws. I know the strikeout rate in Winston-Salem is awful but I think the idea is that the struggles in WS will cause him to change and fix the strikeout issues. I don't have the answer. Just throwing it out there.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 22, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
Okay, I can see where he's coming from. Aside from following him on twitter, I have actually met the kid (when he threw out the first pitch at the Cell) and in person, he was actually very polite. Being another 19 year old kid I feel I can make a decent judgment on him but Balta is right; dissecting his twitter should lead to more of a first impression/perception rather than a final judgement. I do expect him to mature, all I am saying is he has plenty room to mature.

FWIW, if I were him, and I was hitting .177 and striking out 60 percent of the time, I wouldn't be retweeting anything and everything with my name on it.

I imagine the same people that are questioning the social media habits of a 19 year old also think that Jay Cutler's body language means that he doesn't care about winning.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
I imagine the same people that are questioning the social media habits of a 19 year old also think that Jay Cutler's body language means that he doesn't care about winning.

I think people should take it for what it is. It is data. It isn't meaningless, but is sure as heck isn't a complete picture of the person either. He comes off in interviews, and yes on Twitter, as a kid who has a lot of growing up to do. Which isn't surprising, and isn't a huge problem, but it is something to keep in mind when evaluating him.