British Soldier Hacked/Chopped to Death

Jenksismyhero

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
Ive never said otherwise.

I absolutely recognize different crimes have different penalties.

But when you say "criminal", how in the world do I know what you mean? How am I supposed to guess you mean rapist, thief, drug addict, etc?

They are all criminals.

But I never said their crimes are equal nor that all criminals are equal, you cant find that anywhere, you are just making it up.

To be perfectly clear then, we need harsher penalties on people that think carrying a gun around ok...and people that use guns in crimes, be they for show, or if they're actually fired during that crime, no matter how petty. Such as "armed robbery" where the gun is loaded, but only used to scare people. We don't need, however, to jail someone that forgot to renew their f***ing FOID card. :P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 24, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
To be perfectly clear then, we need harsher penalties on people that think carrying a gun around ok...and people that use guns in crimes, be they for show, or if they're actually fired during that crime, no matter how petty. Such as "armed robbery" where the gun is loaded, but only used to scare people. We don't need, however, to jail someone that forgot to renew their f***ing FOID card. :P

I was just making an argument to get a gun rights person to argue against stricter penalties. :P

I knew that if I said jail time for failing to register it would immediately get pro-gun people to attack me and argue that penalty is to harsh. I just wanted to show that "not everyone agrees on making gun crimes harsher."

That being said, I obviously agree that renewing your FOID card should be less of a penalty than actually having a gun while you commit a crime. I would also say that never getting a FOID card should have a greater penalty than forgetting to renew.

But that wasnt the point of my statement. I merely was showing that when you try and create harsher penalties, you get blow back from gun rights people.

Its also because Im so tired of hearing the nonsense "99.9% of gun owners are law abiding citizens". First of all its a made up number. Second of all almost everyone breaks the law at some point or another, gun owners non-gun owners a like. So when I hear a statement like that, I really just want to rip it apart, because its trying to create this magical world where gun owners arent real people.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I was just making an argument to get a gun rights person to argue against stricter penalties. :P

I knew that if I said jail time for failing to register it would immediately get pro-gun people to attack me and argue that penalty is to harsh. I just wanted to show that "not everyone agrees on making gun crimes harsher."

That being said, I obviously agree that renewing your FOID card should be less of a penalty than actually having a gun while you commit a crime. I would also say that never getting a FOID card should have a greater penalty than forgetting to renew.

But that wasnt the point of my statement. I merely was showing that when you try and create harsher penalties, you get blow back from gun rights people.

Its also because Im so tired of hearing the nonsense "99.9% of gun owners are law abiding citizens". First of all its a made up number. Second of all almost everyone breaks the law at some point or another, gun owners non-gun owners a like. So when I hear a statement like that, I really just want to rip it apart, because its trying to create this magical world where gun owners arent real people.

Yes, but that's playing semantics with what they mean when they say "law abiding citizen". I consider myself a law abiding citizen, despite the fact that I'll roll through yellow or stops. I think using a bit of logic applicable to each situation helps draw the line between a person like myself, and a gun toting banger.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 24, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Yes, but that's playing semantics with what they mean when they say "law abiding citizen". I consider myself a law abiding citizen, despite the fact that I'll roll through yellow or stops. I think using a bit of logic applicable to each situation helps draw the line between a person like myself, and a gun toting banger.

Unfortunately some of the worst attacks on American soil have been committed by regular people who were not "gun toting bangers".

The problem is that some people were "law abiding citizens" until they werent.

So my general philosophy is to trust no one. Thus you create laws that equally apply to everyone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

Lol, me saying I don't agree with jail time as a penality =/= that I disagree about having ANY penalty or making the existing penalty MORE harsh. It means I don't agree that increasing it to the level of jail time is reasonable.

As to the last paragraph, 99.9% obviously isn't proven data, but the fact is we're overreacting to random shootings by crazy people that are incredibly rare compared to the number of people that own and use guns. That's the point being made when people say that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Unfortunately some of the worst attacks on American soil have been committed by regular people who were not "gun toting bangers".

The problem is that some people were "law abiding citizens" until they werent.

So my general philosophy is to trust no one. Thus you create laws that equally apply to everyone.

The guy with the cleavers was a law abiding citizen until he wasn't. BAN CLEAVERS. American Muslims are just normal folk until they're not and they become terrorists. BAN MUSLIMS.

That's a really poor way of deciding policy.

And creating laws that apply equally to everyone sounds great unless it infringes on your rights. "Cavity searches for all because some people try to smuggle drugs into the country. Hey, it's applied equally to everyone, totally cool you guys!"

Well y2hh's statement was that gun rights people dont fight the consequences of having guns illegally, so I wanted to show that they did. :)

And its your opinion that gun crimes are "incredibly rare", I find gun crime in America to be "shockingly common" when you compare it to the rest of the world. But no point in arguing opinions.

And the rest Im not sure what you are arguing about, seems like you are just trying to throw nonsense at a wall.

If you believe that Muslims/Cleavers are as dangerous as a gun, then you can argue for banning them like a gun. I dont believe most reasonable people feel this way, but I am sure that there are some people with that opinion, which they are entitled to.

And if you think that cavity searches are the equivalent to filling out a piece of paper to get a license, then once again, that is your opinion, but it doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.

A better comparison would be that to drive a car in Illinois you need to 1) have a license that requires you to pass a test and 2) have insurance to protect against other people who you may hurt.

That would be closer to gun registration. I dont believe most reasonable people would suggest gun owners have to have a chip inserted into their body so we can track them at all times. That would be a comparable invasion to a cavity search.

But then again, you arent really here to discuss reasonable ways to try and curtail gun violence. Its as if you dont even care, which is fine, you are entitled to that. But we arent going to lower gun violence by sticking our heads in the sand and comparing every restriction to "cavity searches."

"You want gun owners to have a license, you might as well force everyone in America to have their dick cut off to protect against rape!"

Its as if you cant even consider the idea of compromise or trying to make America safer for everyone.