Dunn?

Vance Law

Very good article on Dunn at Southside Sox

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/5/30/4379...ar-of-struggles

I'm of the opinion that, at the very least you should start platooning Dunn pretty soon. Wells (or any other baseball player) is gonna hit lefties way better than him plus a major upgrade in outfield defense by putting Viciedo at DH or 1B.

Batting average is obviously not the one most important stat, but it is pretty unbelievable- overall Dunn has a .180 batting average in his 2 and 1/3 years with the Sox, and against lefties it's .120

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real question is whether or not you're trying to win this season or not. If so, then you have to take your lumps and hope for flashes like we saw in Minny and Anaheim, when clearly he showed he's capable of carrying a team for a stretch. That said, he's a 100% bust in my book. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. And it's disappointing...he seems like a really good guy. Someone who could have been a real fan favorite.

Hooray for Phil Rogers.

I see he has a story on the Trib web site in which he at least raises the possibility that Dunn take his cheerful attitude and go home because he is absurdly terrible.

He doesn't think it will happen, but he at least raises the idea.

Only wish other folks in the Chicago media would dial up the pressure on the White Sox to cut loose the XXXXL-albatross.

Short of a miraculous rebound from him in the 2nd half, I hope they simply release Dunn this coming offseason. This team has enough offensive problems as is and having a black hole at DH is just icing on the cake. I just don't see any value in keeping him if he's in his last year of his contract and hopefully Hahn & Jerry agree.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 30, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
If you're only going to do it to get Casper Wells playing time then so what. Go get a young MLB-ready player who offers some reason for hope and take Dunn's playing time away then.

Yeah, if the only current options are the likes of Wells, Wise, Danks, Brent Morel, Dan Black or Andy Wilkins to give those at-bats too...it's kind of pointless.

Maybe you could argue for Phegley to DH, but I doubt they're ready to make that dramatic move until the end of July, either.

Serious question...Is Carlos Lee retired? Would he come back to platoon with Dunn? Near vet minimum? Would it even be worth it at his age?

He was awful last year but the year before he batted .348 with a 1.028 OPS against LHP....

It'd also be nice to let him finish his career where it started.

He very well could be done and sitting at home getting all out of shape.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 30, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
Serious question...Is Carlos Lee retired? Would he come back to platoon with Dunn? Near vet minimum? Would it even be worth it at his age?

He was awful last year but the year before he batted .348 with a 1.028 OPS against LHP....

Manny Ramires is still available. Just have to pluck him from Taiwan unless he would still have to serve time for his roids use. Said tongue in cheek , sort of, but the Sox rolling merrily along with Dunn is pointless.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 30, 2013 -> 11:43 PM)

You can't get out of shape when you never were in shape in the first place.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 30, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
Hooray for Phil Rogers.

I see he has a story on the Trib web site in which he at least raises the possibility that Dunn take his cheerful attitude and go home because he is absurdly terrible.

He doesn't think it will happen, but he at least raises the idea.

Only wish other folks in the Chicago media would dial up the pressure on the White Sox to cut loose the XXXXL-albatross.

Phil Rogers also suggests releasing Dunn and trading for Ethier at a reduced rate to replace him. That is absurd. Ethier is locked in until 2017 at $85 million and is strictly a platoon player as well at this point. Phil Rogers being the lead baseball writer for the biggest newspaper in the country's 3rd largest market has been and is a complete joke.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)
Phil Rogers also suggests releasing Dunn and trading for Ethier at a reduced rate to replace him. That is absurd. Ethier is locked in until 2017 at $85 million and is strictly a platoon player as well at this point. Phil Rogers being the lead baseball writer for the biggest newspaper in the country's 3rd largest market has been and is a complete joke.

Fantasy baseball and Phil Rodger are synonymous or it is fantasy and Phil?

He never fails to complete something intelligent with something extremely stupid.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)

He didn't suggest that. He mentioned Eithier was available and wondered if the Dodgers would eat enough money to make the Sox consider picking him up, releasing Dunn and making Viciedo the DH. He also mentioned how paying Eithier through 2017 vs. paying Dunn through next year complicates it even more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
He didn't suggest that. He mentioned Eithier was available and wondered if the Dodgers would eat enough money to make the Sox consider picking him up, releasing Dunn and making Viciedo the DH. He also mentioned how paying Eithier through 2017 vs. paying Dunn through next year complicates it even more.

32 million or so we owe Adam no one will take his contract. It was a bad move on KW's part. His last year with washington his avg was .259 tht has translated to to .159 playing in the american league with the sox. Anybody can make a 57 million dollar mistake.Llighten up on the criticism of Adam and KW.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ May 31, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
32 million or so we owe Adam no one will take his contract. It was a bad move on KW's part. His last year with washington his avg was .259 tht has translated to to .159 playing in the american league with the sox. Anybody can make a 57 million dollar mistake.Llighten up on the criticism of Adam and KW.

Would be awesome if he had a .259 ba with the Sox. he would be a fan favorite for sure, if that were true. I still think he needs glasses.

I'll credit Rogers for at least starting the conversation that Dunn is the elephant in the room that the Chicago media refuses to address.

Dunn needs to hit the road -- and maybe putting public pressure on management will speed the process.

It's not enough to make me long for the days of Mariotti. But the kid-gloves treatment of Dunn because he's a nice guy and has handled his 'struggles' so well is silly. How hard can it be to handle the struggles when you're making $14 million a year and everybody keeps telling you to keep your chin up, kid.

He can't produce as a major-league hitter any more -- and Ventura still parks him in the clean-up spot.

It's 20 miles beyond absurd.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
I'll credit Rogers for at least starting the conversation that Dunn is the elephant in the room that the Chicago media refuses to address.

Dunn needs to hit the road -- and maybe putting public pressure on management will speed the process.

It's not enough to make me long for the days of Mariotti. But the kid-gloves treatment of Dunn because he's a nice guy and has handled his 'struggles' so well is silly. How hard can it be to handle the struggles when you're making $14 million a year and everybody keeps telling you to keep your chin up, kid.

He can't produce as a major-league hitter any more -- and Ventura still parks him in the clean-up spot.

Great post. Would he still be playing a lot if this sport was NFL or NBA? If a guy was this bad and this much a waste of space missing jumper after jumper and turning the ball over every time he touched it, wouldn't he be benched or released? If a big lineman allowed sack after sack after sack even making top dollar, would he be benched or released? Just cut Dunn, please.

I can't believe he got on that "hot streak" and now is back in the tank. It look like he was determined to make contact and thus, hit the ball over the fence to left center and center.

It'd be so awesome if he just quit.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 31, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

That didn't work during the Jerry Owens/Dweezy/Erstad CF days.

If we had someone ready who deserved the AB then fine, but Dunn being a black hole isn't hurting our future at all right now. The lack of depth behind him however is.

And as far as this season goes, we're just not very good. The sooner we can admit to that & start the heavy lifting the better off we'll be. I mean s***, we're Sox fans, it's not like we're not used to having seasons like this.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
Great post. Would he still be playing a lot if this sport was NFL or NBA? If a guy was this bad and this much a waste of space missing jumper after jumper and turning the ball over every time he touched it, wouldn't he be benched or released? If a big lineman allowed sack after sack after sack even making top dollar, would he be benched or released? Just cut Dunn, please.

I can't believe he got on that "hot streak" and now is back in the tank. It look like he was determined to make contact and thus, hit the ball over the fence to left center and center.

It'd be so awesome if he just quit.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so that's not a good comparison. If baseball had the same salary rules as the NFL, he would have been cut already because the Sox wouldn't be on the hook for the rest of the contract.