Dunn?

Vance Law

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
Beckham should have pretty decent leash. Not only does he provide great D to this terrible defensive team, but the Sox have to figure out whether he is apart of the future or not.

Seeing how many runs we gave away with guys like Keppinger and Greene at second, I am perfectly thrilled to get Beckham back, even if he doesn't hit like we hoped he would. We probably averaged giving up at least an extra hit or baserunner in every game he was gone because of the horrible defense.i

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
He has definitely looked better the last few games. Perhaps his back issue was more serious than anybody let on. I suppose we can only hope that was the case and that he is healthy again.

Ughhhhhhhhhbbbbbgggghhhhhgggghhh

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
Ughhhhhhhhhbbbbbgggghhhhhgggghhh

lol

Dunn is like an arctic flower, so stunning for a week or so when in full bloom, then comes the winter chill & all we see is darkness for another 11 months. Now if we could just breeze through the rest of his Sox career in a 30-second piece narrated by David Attenborough then all would be golden.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:09 AM)
Against LHP...they might eventually have to try Gillaspie at 3B and Keppinger at DH.

Or Casper Wells, that's the other option.

But Keppinger has been hitting very well the last 2+ weeks, a shame to sit him now that he's finally gaining confidence.

With the way this streak is going, Beckham will struggle mightily....then, by the time they go back to Keppinger, he'll have cooled off completely again.

Actually this is bad too. Gillaspie should never play against LHP. I'd rather have Dunn face lefties then Gillaspie. At least Dunn might homer or walk.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
lol

Dunn is like an arctic flower, so stunning for a week or so when in full bloom, then comes the winter chill & all we see is darkness for another 11 months. Now if we could just breeze through the rest of his Sox career in a 30-second piece narrated by David Attenborough then all would be golden.

Epic post.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
He has definitely looked better the last few games. Perhaps his back issue was more serious than anybody let on. I suppose we can only hope that was the case and that he is healthy again.

He actually could easily hit 30 home runs this season. Yet it probably wouldn't change my opinion of him. Pretty strange statement.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
He actually could easily hit 30 home runs this season. Yet it probably wouldn't change my opinion of him. Pretty strange statement.

In my opinion, an Adam Dunn type player needs to have an OPS close to .900. If they do that, I really don't care what the batting average is. Will Dunn ever do that again? Who knows. At this point I would just be happy to see him back around the .800 mark he was at last year.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
In my opinion, an Adam Dunn type player needs to have an OPS close to .900. If they do that, I really don't care what the batting average is. Will Dunn ever do that again? Who knows. At this point I would just be happy to see him back around the .800 mark he was at last year.

When a player starts a season like that, throw out the full season stats. We just have to think about how he is going to be, not how his April was.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)

I am waiting to see a Paul Konerko thread.....No?.....Anybody? Let's all just rail on Dunn some more. Now, while I recognize that the Dunn signing has been a disappointment and he is not living up to expectations, he is not even the biggest problem on this team. That would be Paul Konerko. While Dunn is hitting .181 on the season, he is still having a better year than PK. Dunn has 17 homers. Leads the team in walks. Finally got his .ops into the .700s (Which is definitely not good enough). The dichotomy that is these two players is fascinating to me. Konerko would never get booed( nor should he because booing is dumb) but Dunn gets lambasted all the time. I would much rather take Dunn's .181 average and 17 jacks than PK's .236 average with no power. Konerko is the biggest problem on this team right now. Followed by Dunn. If your #4 and #5 hitters don't hit, you are pretty much screwed. I just think it's crazy that people still hammer Dunn because "oh my god I hate seeing strikeouts" and I never hear anything about Konerko dragging his ass around because "it's Paulie and his number will be retired some day". Anyone have thoughts on this?

Yes, I think Paulie is getting off a bit lightly this year because of his past, but there is also the fact that Paulie's contract is up this year and the Sox are on the hook for $15M for Dunn for next year, so when looking at trying to make this team into a contender in 2014 and beyond, Dunn is the bigger obstacle.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
I am waiting to see a Paul Konerko thread.....No?.....Anybody? Let's all just rail on Dunn some more. Now, while I recognize that the Dunn signing has been a disappointment and he is not living up to expectations, he is not even the biggest problem on this team. That would be Paul Konerko. While Dunn is hitting .181 on the season, he is still having a better year than PK. Dunn has 17 homers. Leads the team in walks. Finally got his .ops into the .700s (Which is definitely not good enough). The dichotomy that is these two players is fascinating to me. Konerko would never get booed( nor should he because booing is dumb) but Dunn gets lambasted all the time. I would much rather take Dunn's .181 average and 17 jacks than PK's .236 average with no power. Konerko is the biggest problem on this team right now. Followed by Dunn. If your #4 and #5 hitters don't hit, you are pretty much screwed. I just think it's crazy that people still hammer Dunn because "oh my god I hate seeing strikeouts" and I never hear anything about Konerko dragging his ass around because "it's Paulie and his number will be retired some day". Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think it is crazy to come in at the absolute peak of one guys season, and then compare him to another who is at his absolute valley. Where was this post a week ago when Dunn was o for 20 something?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
Yes, I think Paulie is getting off a bit lightly this year because of his past, but there is also the fact that Paulie's contract is up this year and the Sox are on the hook for $15M for Dunn for next year, so when looking at trying to make this team into a contender in 2014 and beyond, Dunn is the bigger obstacle.

There's also the whole longevity thing and respecting guys who have done a lot for the franchise. Paulie gets off lightly because he's been with the organization like 15 years now, has put up a few MVP caliber seasons, and helped the Sox win a World Series.

Simply because of 2005, Paulie will never be booed (nor should he be) after what he's meant to this organization the last 15 years.

Dunn doesn't have that history, and he never will. Period.

And we're already "letting go" of Konerko and our memories of him in his glory days...we're still stuck with Dunn in a Sox uniform for the next 1 1/2 years, so that's hard to reconcile psychologically.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
I think it is crazy to come in at the absolute peak of one guys season, and then compare him to another who is at his absolute valley. Where was this post a week ago when Dunn was o for 20 something?

Fair point. People seem to be getting awful defensive though when the team captain gets brought up.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Fair point. People seem to be getting awful defensive though when the team captain gets brought up.

No, he's sucked this year and he's part of the reason they've been this bad. He looks really old this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
There's also the whole longevity thing and respecting guys who have done a lot for the franchise. Paulie gets off lightly because he's been with the organization like 15 years now, has put up a few MVP caliber seasons, and helped the Sox win a World Series.

I understand all that. It doesn't mean when he is finished with baseball (like he has been for almost a year now) that it's just accepted as fine though. If PK does not hit for power they might as well start selling off parts because they can't win without him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
No, he's sucked this year and he's part of the reason they've been this bad. He looks really old this year.

There are a lot of reasons. PK is one of them. Viciedo, Flowers, Ramirez, Keppinger, and yes Dunn. At least Dunn is going to hit 40 homers. It just does not fit when you have black holes in most other spots as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
There are a lot of reasons. PK is one of them. Viciedo, Flowers, Ramirez, Keppinger, and yes Dunn. At least Dunn is going to hit 40 homers. It just does not fit when you have black holes in most other spots as well.

It's been a rather disappointing season thus far with a lot of tough losses. I imagine Hahn is shopping parts right now. You give them through the ASB to go on a streak and get back to or above .500 (which I do not foresee) and then you start selling off parts you won't need next year. I do not believe you need Peavy to "compete" next year, but I'm not going to be upset if they keep him considering they have him under control for the next 2 years anyways, and they can just deal him next year if it ends up this poorly again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
It's been a rather disappointing season thus far with a lot of tough losses. I imagine Hahn is shopping parts right now. You give them through the ASB to go on a streak and get back to or above .500 (which I do not foresee) and then you start selling off parts you won't need next year. I do not believe you need Peavy to "compete" next year, but I'm not going to be upset if they keep him considering they have him under control for the next 2 years anyways, and they can just deal him next year if it ends up this poorly again.

The thing that will make me upset is if Santiago goes back to the bullpen at the AS break once Peavy is back. However they do it, they need to clear out a starter somewhere and give Santiago the next 4 months as a full time big league starter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)
The thing that will make me upset is if Santiago goes back to the bullpen at the AS break once Peavy is back. However they do it, they need to clear out a starter somewhere and give Santiago the next 4 months as a full time big league starter.

Yep. The most obvious candidate is Axelrod, but it could just as easily be Quintana the way things are going.

If they can't figure it out, go to a 6 man, so that every starter is not taxed and they're all ready to hit the ground running in 2014...maybe adding Johnson into the mix and subtracting one of the starters.

The way things are going, it probably will be Peavy (dealt), but they have to wait for the right deal and not just trade him out of frustration for less than he's worth.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Yep. The most obvious candidate is Axelrod, but it could just as easily be Quintana the way things are going.

If they can't figure it out, go to a 6 man, so that every starter is not taxed and they're all ready to hit the ground running in 2014...maybe adding Johnson into the mix and subtracting one of the starters.

The way things are going, it probably will be Peavy (dealt), but they have to wait for the right deal and not just trade him out of frustration for less than he's worth.

I'd say there's about a 5% chance Peavy is dealt this year. Coming off an injury, teams won't want to give up much, plus he's under team control for another 2 years after this season. There's no rush to deal him.

In fact, I'd say there's a better chance Danks is dealt.