Dunn?

Vance Law

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
So what you're saying is that because they haven't hit THIS year they will never hit again. There is no use keeping a player who is having a bad year?

More like the 3 players mentioned are movable,

Rios has some value that could get you something back that the team can build on

Dunn has a contract that would be great to get away from if possible

Konerko has really dropped off this year

I just found it strange to think that these 3 older players with rather large contracts shouldn't be moved just because we might not have a great offense next year...it'll be the same s*** different year.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dunn has sneaky value to a good team that needs a power bat.. Hes still on pace for 40+ HRs and 100+ RBIs on this terrible team.. what could he do with people on base and actual good hitters around him?

I think we would almost certainly have to eat a lot of salary, but I think that there could be interest in him..

QUOTE (TRU @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
I think Dunn has sneaky value to a good team that needs a power bat.. Hes still on pace for 40+ HRs and 100+ RBIs on this terrible team.. what could he do with people on base and actual good hitters around him?

I think we would almost certainly have to eat a lot of salary, but I think that there could be interest in him..

Teams would love to add Dunn if the Sox ate a s***load of salary, don't let Sox fans fool you.

In my mind, there's no real reason to do so because you won't get a real good prospect for a guy who is a DH who can play a bit of 1B. If you eat salary, you need to make sure you get a prospect with legitimate upside.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
Teams would love to add Dunn if the Sox ate a s***load of salary, don't let Sox fans fool you.

In my mind, there's no real reason to do so because you won't get a real good prospect for a guy who is a DH who can play a bit of 1B. If you eat salary, you need to make sure you get a prospect with legitimate upside.

I completely disagree here. Dunn has a .194 AVG & a .303 OBP. His value right now is nearly 100% tied to his 20 HRs. Perhaps some team desperate for a left-handed bat may take a chance on him, but I seriously doubt any team would "love" to add a streaky, all or nothing hitter to their lineup in the middle of the stretch run let alone mutliple teams.

If you can save $6 to $8 million on the remaining life of his contract I say you dump him without hesitation. I don't even care what you get back, because sooner or later bad Dunn will come back and we'll be stuck with him batting cleanup for another year. Take advantage of the hot steak he's on and move him while you still can. We're talking about a guy who will not be back in 2015 under any circumstance, so the downside of trading him is minimal.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
I completely disagree here. Dunn has a .194 AVG & a .303 OBP. His value right now is nearly 100% tied to his 20 HRs. Perhaps some team desperate for a left-handed bat may take a chance on him, but I seriously doubt any team would "love" to add a streaky, all or nothing hitter to their lineup in the middle of the stretch run let alone mutliple teams.

If you can save $6 to $8 million on the remaining life of his contract I say you dump him without hesitation. I don't even care what you get back, because sooner or later bad Dunn will come back and we'll be stuck with him batting cleanup for another year. Take advantage of the hot steak he's on and move him while you still can. We're talking about a guy who will not be back in 2015 under any circumstance, so the downside of trading him is minimal.

I view this situation in the light that Dunn is a 6 or 7 hitter for a contending team. There's no way he's going to take up meaningful ABs. Beyond that, I think Dunn is closer to the .200/.330/.470 hitter we saw last year, regardless of his OBP now, and I don't think .220/.340/.490 is out of the realm of possibility.

If the Sox are going to completely blow this team apart, there's no need to save money because they won't spend a lot next season. If they keep some of it and try and retool or whatever, he's not a bad bat to have in this division. He's already a sunk cost, so if you can save MOST money, I'm OK with it, I guess. I'd just rather not eat most of the $22+ mill he's still owed, you know?

Keep Dunn unless you get someone to eat 75-80% of his contract.

Also, if he's a dangerous hitter next year but the team's out of it again, you might be able to get something decent back.

Just see no way anyone will take Danks' contract until he proves that he's 100% back in terms of velocity and stamina. Any GM who took a rehabbing lefty with that contract and a recent shoulder surgery would be risking their career...they would look like a genius if he bounced back, but you couldn't count on it happening this season and you'd still have 3 ugly years left on the contract were he never to return to past form.

Viciedo and Dunn are the only possible hitters to put up 30+ homers in the line-up for 2014, assuming Rios and Konerko are gone.

Hopefully Dunn keeps on this hotstreak and a team in need of 1B/DH be willing to take a chance on him, and take on most of his contract.

Also, I wonder if it is more than a coincidence that Dunn finally started to hit once the White Sox pretty much established themselves as a terrible team in late May/Early June. So far in his time with the White Sox, this has been the only time he has gotten to play for a team pretty much entrenched in last place, and this has been easily the best he's looked since he played for the Nationals in 09 and 10. And unsurprisingly, the Nats finished easily in last place both of those years.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
Hopefully Dunn keeps on this hotstreak and a team in need of 1B/DH be willing to take a chance on him, and take on most of his contract.

Also, I wonder if it is more than a coincidence that Dunn finally started to hit once the White Sox pretty much established themselves as a terrible team in late May/Early June. So far in his time with the White Sox, this has been the only time he has gotten to play for a team pretty much entrenched in last place, and this has been easily the best he's looked since he played for the Nationals in 09 and 10. And unsurprisingly, the Nats finished easily in last place both of those years.

Manto said the same thing in pre-game show...not about it being because of the no-pressure situation, simply that Dunn has been looking as good as he has at any point since joining the White Sox.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Getting rid of Dunn just to lose his salary with the amount of salary we are dumping already is lunacy IMO.

Whats the point of keeping him if a team is willing to take on a good portion of his contract?

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
How could you not like "his game" when it includes good average, good power, good speed, average defense in center, above average defense in right and a good person in the clubhouse.

There is a reason why he, along with Dunn, are the top two players when it comes to games played without a playoff appearance.

I and others might over blow this idea, but I firmly believe that no matter what the stats tell you, some players are either winners or losers. Granted a lot also depends on the rest of the roster, but I don't think Rios is someone you would want around during a rebuilding and being one of the vets on a young ballclub.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)
There is a reason why he, along with Dunn, are the top two players when it comes to games played without a playoff appearance.

I and others might over blow this idea, but I firmly believe that no matter what the stats tell you, some players are either winners or losers. Granted a lot also depends on the rest of the roster, but I don't think Rios is someone you would want around during a rebuilding and being one of the vets on a young ballclub.

WHile i do agree with some of what you said, it has nothing to do with not liking his game. I wouldn't want him as a verteran leader on a young club either

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)

From 2002-2008, the Reds consistently had one of the worst pitching staffs in all of baseball. Yet they didn't make the playoffs because Adam Dunn is a loser. Right.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)
From 2002-2008, the Reds consistently had one of the worst pitching staffs in all of baseball. Yet they didn't make the playoffs because Adam Dunn is a loser. Right.

I suppose it is also a coincidence that Dunn finally starts to hit once the White Sox are one of the worst teams in baseball?

I didn't say it was Dunn's fault for the Reds being bad. However, I don't think it is a surprise that both the Reds and Nationals let him go and then both teams proceeded to become much better. Of course there are other reasons for their turnarounds as well, but I don't think you can ignore the Dunn effect.

Honestly, I think Dunn is a loser because of two main reasons. The first reason is because he is not a very clutch hitter and that leads to reason number 2, he thrives in non-pressure situations. He is notorious for putting up big numbers when it doesn't matter.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
I suppose it is also a coincidence that Dunn finally starts to hit once the White Sox are one of the worst teams in baseball?

I didn't say it was Dunn's fault for the Reds being bad. However, I don't think it is a surprise that both the Reds and Nationals let him go and then both teams proceeded to become much better. Of course there are other reasons for their turnarounds as well, but I don't think you can ignore the Dunn effect.

Honestly, I think Dunn is a loser because of two main reasons. The first reason is because he is not a very clutch hitter and that leads to reason number 2, he thrives in non-pressure situations. He is notorious for putting up big numbers when it doesn't matter.

If you want to say that Dunn doesn't perform under pressure, that's one thing. But from 2001-2008, the Reds averaged giving up 845 runs per season. From 2009-2012, that dropped to 679, over a run a game. Did letting Dunn go have that much of an effect on the pitching and defense? He happened to be on some bad teams, but he was not the reason they sucked.

This post is so far off base it's hilarious. You must have missed Dunn putting up an .800 OPS last year when the Sox were in contention. When he "stopped" hitting in the second half, he was hurt and banged up, much like everyone else on that team.

And the Nats and Reds competing after he left is coincidental and ironic. As was mentioned, the Reds found a pitching staff. The Nats did as well - some dudes name Strasburg, Gonzalez, and Zimmerman - and in his final year there, here were the numbers put up by guys with atleast 150 plate appearances:

Ivan Rodriguez: .640 OPS

Adam Kennedy: .655 OPS

Nyjer Morgan: .633 OPS

Roger Bernadina: .691 OPS

Cristian Guzman: .687 OPS

Willie Harris: .653 OPS

Alberto Gonzalez: .578 OPS

Wil Nieves: .554 OPS

That team only scored 655 runs. Are you really going to blame that on Adam Dunn?

Adam Dunn has been a victim of bad luck on teams, and he doesn't help defensively, but to essentially say "Adam Dunn makes teams bad and when he leaves teams are good" is absolutely 100% wrong.

This line of thinking is ridiculous. There's just no evidence for this at all.

The Reds were still pretty bad after they let Dunn walk. So were the Nats. They used the money they saved not signing Dunn to get other needed pieces and they developed the talent they got from sucking for so long.

Dunn is just a guy. No one player is going to sink and entire team just by being a mope.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
This post is so far off base it's hilarious. You must have missed Dunn putting up an .800 OPS last year when the Sox were in contention. When he "stopped" hitting in the second half, he was hurt and banged up, much like everyone else on that team.

And the Nats and Reds competing after he left is coincidental and ironic. As was mentioned, the Reds found a pitching staff. The Nats did as well - some dudes name Strasburg, Gonzalez, and Zimmerman - and in his final year there, here were the numbers put up by guys with atleast 150 plate appearances:

Ivan Rodriguez: .640 OPS

Adam Kennedy: .655 OPS

Nyjer Morgan: .633 OPS

Roger Bernadina: .691 OPS

Cristian Guzman: .687 OPS

Willie Harris: .653 OPS

Alberto Gonzalez: .578 OPS

Wil Nieves: .554 OPS

That team only scored 655 runs. Are you really going to blame that on Adam Dunn?

Adam Dunn has been a victim of bad luck on teams, and he doesn't help defensively, but to essentially say "Adam Dunn makes teams bad and when he leaves teams are good" is absolutely 100% wrong.

.800 OPS can kiss my ass if your batting .200 and striking out over 200 times.

There is something telling when a player puts up his best seasons when a team is in last place, and when a team is in contention he's nowhere to be found. Some guys are winners and some guys are losers, and the fact Dunn has never appeared in one post season game, is very un-clutch and does most of his damage in non-pressure situations, I'm sorry, the guy is a loser on the baseball field.

Again, if surrounded by the right people in the right situation, sure Dunn could be a productive player for a contender. But he is being paid to be the guy, and he's never been the guy with the white sox until this past June when the Sox fell into the laughingstock of the league.

Also, I never once said he was the main reason. All I said there was something to be seen and it might be more than 100% coincidental and bad luck.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)

There is something telling when a player puts up his best seasons when a team is in last place, and when a team is in contention he's nowhere to be found. Some guys are winners and some guys are losers, and the fact Dunn has never appeared in one post season game, is very un-clutch and does most of his damage in non-pressure situations, I'm sorry, the guy is a loser on the baseball field.

Again, if surrounded by the right people in the right situation, sure Dunn could be a productive player for a contender. But he is being paid to be the guy, and he's never been the guy with the white sox until this past June when the Sox fell into the laughingstock of the league.

You are being ridiculous. This isn't the NBA. One guy cannot carry you to the postseason.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)

Then you are ignorant and there's no point in discussing this.

Robin Yount played in the postseason only twice during his illustrious 20 year career. Is he a loser? On the contrary, David Eckstein played for in the postseason 4 times and won 2 World Series rings, which quite clearly qualifies him as a winner, correct?

That Dunn has played on last place teams is circumstantial and has little to do with him.

Oh, and BTW, this "he hasn't been the man until this June" is BS too, unless you, for whatever reason, consider the .953 OPS on June 16th of last year chopped liver. He fell of precipitously after that, as I have mentioned, but he was an incredibly valuable player for the first half of last year and, due to injury and whatever else, fell off in the second half like everyone else on the team.

Edited by witesoxfan