Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

That's what I fear strange.

Also worth noting is it doesn't overheat...at least not yet anyway. So no loss of coolant (unless it's being replaced by oil) and no over heating which are to pretty telling signs of a blown head gasket.

Would you guys suggest I simply flush the coolant and see what happens from there? I can't remember the last time I put new coolant in so theres a chance its just old???

It'd have to be pretty ancient to start looking like a chocotaco in there.

You're obviously going to want to flush the coolant anyways but I see a compression test in your future. That'll give you a much better idea of whats going on.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
It'd have to be pretty ancient to start looking like a chocotaco in there.

You're obviously going to want to flush the coolant anyways but I see a compression test in your future. That'll give you a much better idea of whats going on.

This is now the plan, thanks for the info. How much should a new head gasket cost? I could potentially find a someone through facebook that may be able to help me out, how much should a friend charge?

You're gonna have to look up the part relative to your make/model/engine, but they're pretty damn cheap. Its a labor intensive process though, you're basically taking the engine apart completely.

Also be prepared to see some thing you'd probably be better off not seeing. Head gaskets usually dont blow unless the car is suffering from some abusive driving or other maintenance has been neglected. Not trying to pass judgment or anything because I dont expect people to get as neurotic as I am replacing parts at the first sign of worry, but if enough strain has been put on the engine to send the head gasket into oblivion there's probably other problems down there as well.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)
Valve cover gasket is what I was thinking at first as well until I looked at my coolant and saw it looked like a chocolate milkshake in there. That's leading me to believe it's potentially a blown head gasket. But then again I'm not losing any coolant, unless it only appears that way due to the amount of oil getting in.

Anyway, it's white smoke when I just start the car...but only after adding oil. I just got an oil change Saturday, that night when I started it I got a good amount of smoke out the tailpipe and it continued for about a block before going away. Same thing Sunday morning. This morning I had no smoke whatsoever.

Really hoping it's not the head gasket because I don't have the thousand dollars or whatever to fix it.

I owned a Saturn VUE at one point. A number of Saturn cars had a recall some years back, because coolant was some how getting itself into the block, and back out again. I wonder if you are seeing this issue come up with yours. I apologize I don't remember the exact details, but you can probably find it Googling.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 11:53 PM)
You're gonna have to look up the part relative to your make/model/engine, but they're pretty damn cheap. Its a labor intensive process though, you're basically taking the engine apart completely.

Also be prepared to see some thing you'd probably be better off not seeing. Head gaskets usually dont blow unless the car is suffering from some abusive driving or other maintenance has been neglected. Not trying to pass judgment or anything because I dont expect people to get as neurotic as I am replacing parts at the first sign of worry, but if enough strain has been put on the engine to send the head gasket into oblivion there's probably other problems down there as well.

This ehow page makes it sound rather easy and doesn't talk about taking apart the engine... http://www.ehow.com/how_7858967_replace-he...ket-saturn.html ....is it missing something?

I wouldn't doubt it. Money has been an issue for over a year now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
I owned a Saturn VUE at one point. A number of Saturn cars had a recall some years back, because coolant was some how getting itself into the block, and back out again. I wonder if you are seeing this issue come up with yours. I apologize I don't remember the exact details, but you can probably find it Googling.

I'll have to look into that, it seems as though I'm having the opposite problem though. Oil is getting into the coolant reservoir.

This ehow page makes it sound rather easy and doesn't talk about taking apart the engine... http://www.ehow.com/how_7858967_replace-he...ket-saturn.html ....is it missing something?

I wouldn't doubt it. Money has been an issue for over a year now.

Oh man, if only it was as easy as that tutorial. I would be a lot more reckless around the redline in my Miata if swapping a head gasket was as simple as that tutorial says. I've never had to change a head gasket but if I ever did I wouldn't trust myself to do it. People who've DIYed it have compared to some of the worst and most time consuming engine jobs.

If you've got a mechanic friend and he'll accept beer as payment (and he'll bring the needed tools) go for it, but other than that its gonna have to go to the shop.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Oh man, if only it was as easy as that tutorial. I would be a lot more reckless around the redline in my Miata if swapping a head gasket was as simple as that tutorial says. I've never had to change a head gasket but if I ever did I wouldn't trust myself to do it. People who've DIYed it have compared to some of the worst and most time consuming engine jobs.

If you've got a mechanic friend and he'll accept beer as payment (and he'll bring the needed tools) go for it, but other than that its gonna have to go to the shop.

Ha, Ive got fat hands, I def won't be trying to do this myself. I've got 300 saved up, if I can find a buddy I trust to do it I should be able to avoid a shop and paying an arm and a leg.

First things first though, I'm going to autozone to rent the compression tester. From the sounds of it I think it's pretty much a lock that it's a blown HG though.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)

It's not so bad until you strip out a bolt for the coolant port and have to helicoil the head. Ugh. It's a hell of a lot easier than a bottom-end rebuild or pulling apart a transmission.

With a head gasket replacement, you're going to need, at a minimum, a decent torque wrench and a set of sockets, wrenches, drivers, extensions, and screwdrivers. scs, if you are going to tackle it, make sure you've got little baggies labeled for all the hardware you're going to take off so you don't lose pieces, nuts and bolts.

If you let this go too long, you could do some serious damage to your engine. The engine relies on that oil to keep it lubricated and to keep metal from scraping on metal, and bearings really don't like the oil/water/antifreeze mix.

From what I recall when I had to have a head gasket replaced about 10 years ago, it was right around $1200. Didn't have to replace the head though. Not sure why they'd have to if you haven't really overheated the car or really damaged the camshaft bearings or anything, but I'm not familiar with your specific car.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
One day after Cadillac shows off the best looking concept from an American manufacturer in god-knows-how-long Tesla scores well on the idiot proofing tests. Guess which story the public took to?

It breaks my heart.

Yeah, you know, safety tests don't matter. At all.

That new Cadillac concept looks meh compared to a Tesla.

Edited by chw42

One day after Cadillac shows off the best looking concept from an American manufacturer in god-knows-how-long Tesla scores well on the idiot proofing tests. Guess which story the public took to?

It breaks my heart.

??? You really think that?

It breaks my heart.

Tesla = in production

Caddy = concept

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
Yeah, you know, safety tests don't matter. At all.

That new Cadillac concept looks meh compared to a Tesla.

Only idiots get into car accidents, duh.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/19...j-concept/?_r=0

cadillac-elmiraj-1-blog480.jpg

cadillac-elmiraj-2-blog480.jpg

Front end looks nice, but that backend looks horrible.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:13 AM)
Only idiots get into car accidents, duh.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/19...j-concept/?_r=0

cadillac-elmiraj-1-blog480.jpg

cadillac-elmiraj-2-blog480.jpg

Front end looks nice, but that backend looks horrible.

Agreed.

Front end: "I bet some sophisticated wealthy guy drives that!"

Back end: "I bet some grandpa having a winter-of-life crisis drives that!"

Edited by farmteam

Agreed.

Front end: "I bet some sophisticated wealthy guy drives that!"

Back end: "I bet some grandpa having a winter-of-life crisis drives that!"

It's a Cadillac man. That's part of the look.

You really want to see how bad the back end of a car can look check out the new Corvette Stingray. Stunningly pretty car that is actually ruined by a vulgar tasteless back end. Think about the standard of vulgarity for a Corvette and how bad something would have to be to be considered "too vulgar".

I'm not going to comment on Tesla anymore. There's all sorts of incredible things happening around the auto industry and the fascination people have with a niche manufacturer (not even the coolest niche manufacturer either, look up Morgan) takes attention away from some much more interesting changes.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)

You really want to see how bad the back end of a car can look check out the new Corvette Stingray. Stunningly pretty car that is actually ruined by a vulgar tasteless back end. Think about the standard of vulgarity for a Corvette and how bad something would have to be to be considered "too vulgar".

I'm not going to comment on Tesla anymore. There's all sorts of incredible things happening around the auto industry and the fascination people have with a niche manufacturer (not even the coolest niche manufacturer either, look up Morgan) takes attention away from some much more interesting changes.

Yea, Morgan is awesome in a "Lets not forget about the 40s" kind of way

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/range2.html

lol

That Caddy Concept looks like a cadillac got busy with a Sebring

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Yea, Morgan is awesome in a "Lets not forget about the 40s" kind of way

http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/range2.html

lol

That Caddy Concept looks like a cadillac got busy with a Sebring

Those cars are bad ass. If those were even remotely affordable I'd get one.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)

So I take it that you don't think electric cars are the future?

Gas isn't a sustainable resource. We're going to have to transfer to another source of fuel sooner or later. It's just a matter of time.

Edited by chw42